Pre-Game Talk: Habs/Flames Tomorrow 6:30 PM Time for the Caufield Show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
All this "caution" about Caufield is just toxic loser poison energy, just be excited that we have a prospect with some f***ing panache for once.

We literally haven't had a first shot sniper on this team since Cammalleri a decade ago, and he's a more complete player than DeBrincat who has the exact same size/skating concerns as Caufield and has transitioned into an NHL sniper seamlessly. Get excited about players for once instead of resigning yourself to them becoming 40 point middle sixers to avoid being disappointed.
Lotta chicken littles round here. I’ve seen posts that somehow manage to criticize not playing Caufield and in the same sentence say they don’t want him to be ruined playing for this loser team lmao. Make up your minds people!

Caufield is coming and he’s gonna light the world on fire. Get ready.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
This is as must win of a game as there has been this season. Lose in regulation and they are only up by two on the Flames. Win and their up by 6.

They need scoring and they have forwards that are banged up. It’s time they put Caufield into the lineup. There is no reason they can’t (they can figure out the salary cap).

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
Environment has a progressively diminishing influence on players from age 0 to 21. Past 21, if you're not already your best form..... You're an exception that shouldn't be built around, a Marchand or St-Louis type. Both small players, perhaps there is a reason for this... I don't know. What I do know is that for 95% of players if you haven't become a star by 21.... You ain't likely to ever become one. What this means is that development at the pro level is not where the majority of the player's development happen. Of course you can have exceptions... but ... It's mostly decided by the time of the draft. The next 2 years are not going to turn a bust into a star.
I get what you mean. While that’s true for the special players you also need all the support players and a winning environment to encourage internal conpetition.
It’s all about asset management. If you can draft a 5th rounder and develop him and can trade him for a 2nd rd pick later.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I get what you mean. While that’s true for the special players you also need all the support players and a winning environment to encourage internal conpetition.
It’s all about asset management. If you can draft a 5th rounder and develop him and can trade him for a 2nd rd pick later.

You're getting down to the minutiae of things. That is not what makes or break a contender. At the rate at which 2nd round picks pan out, I'd say you need in between six or nine 5th rounders to finally turn up a real gem. And considering how often you hit it on a 5th rounder... we're talking 20-30 years... If you are not turning up gems in the draft.. then meh. I've always found it laughable for people to evaluate timmins records based on NHL games played. That's an irrelevant metric if I've ever seen one.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Caufield should play. Already sick of the 7D thing. If you're not going to properly use Gustafsson then bench him.

There's a spot in this lineup for Caufield, and we're losing anyway, so let's take a look at the future.

Also, this game starts at 6:30pm? Really!

Man, there have been some weird start times this season.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
You're getting down to the minutiae of things. That is not what makes or break a contender. At the rate at which 2nd round picks pan out, I'd say you need in between six or nine 5th rounders to finally turn up a real gem. And considering how often you hit it on a 5th rounder... we're talking 20-30 years... If you are not turning up gems in the draft.. then meh. I've always found it laughable for people to evaluate timmins records based on NHL games played. That's an irrelevant metric if I've ever seen one.

I am certainly not a fan of Timmins, his record is atrocious.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Environment has a progressively diminishing influence on players from age 0 to 21. Past 21, if you're not already your best form..... You're an exception that shouldn't be built around, a Marchand or St-Louis type. Both small players, perhaps there is a reason for this... I don't know. What I do know is that for 95% of players if you haven't become a star by 21.... You ain't likely to ever become one. What this means is that development at the pro level is not where the majority of the player's development happen. Of course you can have exceptions... but ... It's mostly decided by the time of the draft. The next 2 years are not going to turn a bust into a star.

If players were already so well established by the draft then there wouldn't be so many players chosen later who excel.
And you're only talking about high end players here, environment will matter way more for players like KK, Suzuki, Eller, DD, Galchenyuk, those types. Even a guy like Pacioretty and he said so himself, he had to send a message to management via media telling them to leave him in the AHL so he can play more instead of 1/2 games on the 4th line with few minutes here in Mtl.

Nobody is suggesting you can turn a bust into a star. There is a middle to explore.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
All this "caution" about Caufield is just toxic loser poison energy, just be excited that we have a prospect with some f***ing panache for once.

We literally haven't had a first shot sniper on this team since Cammalleri a decade ago, and he's a more complete player than DeBrincat who has the exact same size/skating concerns as Caufield and has transitioned into an NHL sniper seamlessly. Get excited about players for once instead of resigning yourself to them becoming 40 point middle sixers to avoid being disappointed.
I don't think anybody is not hyped about him , it's just that knowing this org , they will put him in the worst positions to shine.

It's like giving Byron and Armia to KK .

He will get like Staal and Danault with him. Something horrendous like that. I think that's what people are scared about.

Reactions: habsfan891

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Putting all this pressure on a 20 year old who has yet to play a single game. What can go wrong.

There is zero pressure on Caufield. No one is going to blame Caufield if we miss the playoffs. Where is the pressure ?

Bergevin has pressure, Price, Weber, Petry... they have pressure.. Caufield ? No.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Exactly my line of thinking. We’re expecting a 20 year old kid with no NHL experience to come in with 10 games left in the season and try and save it for us. It’s pretty pathetic that this is what things have come too.

No one is EXPECTING that, or demanding it. I'm sure a lot of people are hoping against all hope for it... but that's it.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
If Tatar and Byron both out I guess the Habs roll with:

Drouin Danault Caufield
Toffoli Suzuki Anderson
Lehkonen Kotkaniemi Armia
Evans Staal Perry

Gustafsson Weber
Edmundson Petry
Romanov Merrill

Allen

Drouin isn't being rewarded in this lineup just thinking what would be a good fit for the team going forward with the injuries.

Gustafsson should get a shot with Weber and Chiarot sit. Gustafsson two games in a row has been moving the puck and was in on two goals in his first two games.

Edmundson is more mobile than Chiarot and seems to be the best with Petry.

Romanov and Merrill have been a really good pairing outside that slew foot on Merrill leading to a goal. They have been physical and moving the puck well. Even Merrill was involved in the offense.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
If Tatar and Byron both out I guess the Habs roll with:

Drouin Danault Caufield
Toffoli Suzuki Anderson
Lehkonen Kotkaniemi Armia
Evans Staal Perry

Gustafsson Weber
Edmundson Petry
Romanov Merrill

Allen

Drouin isn't being rewarded in this lineup just thinking what would be a good fit for the team going forward with the injuries.

Gustafsson should get a shot with Weber and Chiarot sit. Gustafsson two games in a row has been moving the puck and was in on two goals in his first two games.

Edmundson is more mobile than Chiarot and seems to be the best with Petry.

Romanov and Merrill have been a really good pairing outside that slew foot on Merrill leading to a goal. They have been physical and moving the puck well. Even Merrill was involved in the offense.
Caufield needs a big body with him. It's Anderson.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Shout out to Jake "Cole" Tapper ...

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Exactly my line of thinking. We’re expecting a 20 year old kid with no NHL experience to come in with 10 games left in the season and try and save it for us. It’s pretty pathetic that this is what things have come too.
At the same time, and I dont agree with bringing up Caufield, but if he kills it and makes us win, it would be the story of the decade :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad