GDT: Habs @ Flames, 7:00 PM MT Dec 19 - Run With Us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The defense is starting to become a big issue. Brodie and Andersson are the only ones I am really confident in at the moment, while Kylington and Gio have had there ups and downs. That second pairing is a complete disaster and it needs to be addressed badly, as they blow. Valimaki being injured all the time has been a huge blow.. he's the prototypical defender for this age, but he can't stay healthy and you have to wonder how he'll progress at this point.

We are a middle of the pack team, but we have the luxury of a crap division where we only have to compete with other garbage like Edmonton.

Hamonic is horrible and physically limited. Hanifin is just an idiot. Out of position at least few times a game. They make a great couple ...for the oposition.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
They scored 5 times in a period three times last year and were what.... second overall in goals for? They can bury over an 82 game season. What you're seeing is just statistical variance. Three games in a row of bad finishing isn't something outlandish at all.

The problem is needing something to blame. It's sports. The other team wants to win too, and sometimes it goes their way. Why does every game need to be pinned on a villain? From the Flames' perspective, all that matters is whether they're doing things that should work out in future games. I think they are, mostly, right now. Obviously they can clean up certain aspects from tonight, but as long as we're creating chances and drawing penalties, we'll win more than we lose.

That's one way to look at it but it's not that simple. This team is stuck at the bottom half for decades because they never do what they are supposed to do for whatever reason.

BTW, you sound like a good candidate if the Flames are looking for a spinner. or maybe one of those political spin room :)

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Hanifin looked great with Andersson when they paired them up a few weeks ago... then they went right back to Hamonic the next chance they got. Why? Makes no sense.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The numbers are the numbers. Saying "in reality" and then following it up with a bunch of personal opinions isn't the right combo.

The reality is that under Ward, the Flames have been a little better offensively but a lot worse defensively and have been outplayed by a fair margin in the 10 games he's been behind the bench. That's the reality.
Common misconception, but applying this specific meaning to those numbers is also a personal interpretation just as much as taking one from what you see. Advanced stats do not form a reality without personal decisions on how to apply meaning to them (or I guess just believing what you're told to believe).

The only reality here is that the Flames are 7-2-1 in their last 10. Everything else there is up to interpretation.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Hanifin looked great with Andersson when they paired them up a few weeks ago... then they went right back to Hamonic the next chance they got. Why? Makes no sense.
Hanifin hasn't looked great at anything. It's like Dougie and Jaybo had a child, except the child didn't inherit Dougie's shot or Jaybo's defensive abilities. He's a tall, smooth skating p***y, who doesn't play physical, isn't very good defensively and doesn't produce exceedingly well offensively. We should move this kid.

Last edited:

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Oh well, only 3 more hours until The Witcher is released on Netflix.

Time for that all-night binge.

witcherbig.jpg

Any good???

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Common misconception, but applying this specific meaning to those numbers is also a personal interpretation just as much as taking one from what you see. Advanced stats do not form a reality without personal decisions on how to apply meaning to them (or I guess just believing what you're told to believe).

The only reality here is that the Flames are 7-2-1 in their last 10. Everything else there is up to interpretation.

The underlying numbers usually indicate a fundamental problem though. Ya, we are winning right now, if our underlying stats are bad you would think we are bound for regression, which has historically been the case for teams with bad fancy stats and we might be seeing that already.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The underlying numbers usually indicate a fundamental problem though. Ya, we are winning right now, if our underlying stats are bad you would think we are bound for regression, which has historically been the case for teams with bad fancy stats and we might be seeing that already.

Watching the two games prior to last night, "regression" would actually mean leaving the first period with multiple-goal leads in each. Based on their play, they were unlucky to be up by 0 and 1 goal, statistically speaking.

Here's the way I look at it last night, too. If you just focus on each team's best chances at 5-on-5, the Flames had:

- The Tkachuk goal
- Reider/Frolik 2-on-1
- Tkachuk between the legs from point blank
- Lucic with a clear path to the net (taken away by a hook)
- Monahan with an open net from a sharp angle
- Brodie one-timer from between the circles
- Monahan with a chance from in tight

The Habs, meanwhile, scored three times at 5-on-5, but only one of those chances was dangerous. Even if you argue that the Armia shot was dangerous, the Mangiapane chance in the third was pretty much the same. So, considering the Habs' best chances 5-on-5, what do you have?

- Chiarot (I think) walking down the slot all alone, then Weber off the rebound
- Gallagher in the slot after a Rittich giveaway
- Suzuki's goal
- Cousins backhander from in tight off the rush

Aside from that, is there anything missing? A lot of chances happened during the 4-on-4, and of course we had a short-handed breakaway too. But in terms of 5-on-5, we did a better job of creating actually dangerous chances.

I'm sure I'm missing some, but this is how the numbers mislead you. A shot from a certain area is considered a dangerous chance, even if it isn't. And vice versa.

This is why I'm optimistic right now. There is a pattern currently of us getting the better chances than our opposition.

Last edited:

SixStrings

Nov 7, 2019
Flames gave up when they had the lead at 2-0 thinking they were going to win the game. It's not how you start the game fellas it's how you finish. The Flames had no finish. I knew Domi was going to score that goal in OT when he got the puck. He wanted it more than Lindholm.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
My biggest takeaway is that even the 3 losses are much more fun to watch under Ward than almost all the games under Peter's

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Hanifin hasn't looked great at anything. It's like Dougie and Jaybo had a child, except the child didn't inherit Dougie's shot or Jaybo's defensive abilities. He's a tall, smooth skating p***y, who doesn't play physical, isn't very good defensively and doesn't produce exceedingly well offensively. We should move this kid.
I don't agree. Hanifin was pretty good last year, and like I said, when he was paired with Andersson, he looked great. I think it's unlikely that he's settled into whatever we're seeing anyways, he's 22 and still lots of room for him to grow. I'd very much like to see him not be forced to drag Hamonic around the ice so we can actually see what he is capable of before we kneejerk him into a trade.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
giphy.gif

Didn't like the first two goals on Rittich, but he made some big saves too. Team needs to figure out how to lock it down once they get the lead.

Bennett-Monahan-Backlund
Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Lucic-Ryan-Dube
Mangiapane-Rieder-Frolik

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Hamonic

next game please

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't agree. Hanifin was pretty good last year, and like I said, when he was paired with Andersson, he looked great. I think it's unlikely that he's settled into whatever we're seeing anyways, he's 22 and still lots of room for him to grow. I'd very much like to see him not be forced to drag Hamonic around the ice so we can actually see what he is capable of before we kneejerk him into a trade.
Sounds strangely familiar to the hollow arguments that have been made for Bennett the last few years. Of course Hanifin looks better with Andersson, he's the second best defenseman on the team and has made huge strides, unlike Hanifin himself.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
giphy.gif

Didn't like the first two goals on Rittich, but he made some big saves too. Team needs to figure out how to lock it down once they get the lead.

Bennett-Monahan-Backlund
Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Lucic-Ryan-Dube
Mangiapane-Rieder-Frolik

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Hamonic

next game please
Bennett has no place in the top 6.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Frolik-Backlund-Ryan
Lucic-Bennett-Rieder

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Sounds strangely familiar to the hollow arguments that have been made for Bennett the last few years. Of course Hanifin looks better with Andersson, he's the second best defenseman on the team and has made huge strides, unlike Hanifin himself.

Brodie looked horrific when dragging around crap as well, and it’s night and day how he is playing nowadays. Guy has low key been solid this year (arguably his best year since 2015 besides the point totals), so absolutely giving Hanifin a chance with someone else could make a big difference.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I regularly repost the same stats both here and there. Never been or tried to be secretive about what my CP account is haha

The numbers are the numbers. Saying "in reality" and then following it up with a bunch of personal opinions isn't the right combo.

The reality is that under Ward, the Flames have been a little better offensively but a lot worse defensively and have been outplayed by a fair margin in the 10 games he's been behind the bench. That's the reality.

Fair enough :laugh:. Some people here (cough* cough* @ScrewNHLOfficiating) do a horrible job of hiding their CP accounts though. Guy still won't admit it.

Reactions: FerklundCGY

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Hahahaha the jaybo/dougie comparison is actually pretty accurate and made me laugh. But I still think he is gonna be a stud. I think his defense is underrated, but I like the progression I've seen so far. He is still super young, and while he isn't great at any one thing, I think he is a great skater, pretty smart defensively, doesnt shy away from.the dirty areas and sounds like he has been working on his offensive game. Never seems to drag his partner down, but does excel with better players. He forces some passes sometimes, not unlike Brodie, but I think we are better with him than without.

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Bennett has no place in the top 6.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Dube
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Frolik-Backlund-Ryan
Lucic-Bennett-Rieder
If we are going to run the same lines as lately, I'd actually like to see Bennett and Manny swapped for a bit, I think they bring a lot.of the same qualities, but Bennett doesnt fall on his ass as often and seems more engaged physically when given a bigger role.
Absolutely love what Mangiapane brings yo the team, but see him as more of a bottom six energy type guy going forward. (Benny is gonna be a bottom six guy too, but is much stronger on the puck)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Any good???

I loved the series, Cavill absolutely nails Geralt. The voice was fantastic after playing Witcher 3, I liked Cavill's version more than the guy from Witcher video game series which I also really like.

The action is top notch, Cavill's first action scene as Geralt was incredible. A one-take where he just slays through guys. Really glad they got the action right in the series. Story wise it's 7/10 just 'cause they're using the short stories as source material for the 1st season.

Only 8 episodes, hopefully the next season is 10 episodes and gets into the main books which I am sure it will.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

So...you haven't watched Hanifin this year I assume then. Hanifin is our most physical d-men this year. He routinely beats guys on the boards because he out muscles them.

Hanifin's biggest issue right now is turn overs when he wins puck battles in the corners. His outlet passes are a lot of blind passes up the boards which have been getting intercepted a lot recently. Notice when he played with Andersson he didn't do this, he has no faith in Hamonic.

Hanifin started the year on fire carrying Hamonic's corpse around, but it just took too big of a tole on him and he crashed back to his former self. Hanifin away from Hamonic is 1a/1b level defender, Hamonic is completely burying Hanifin.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
If we are going to run the same lines as lately, I'd actually like to see Bennett and Manny swapped for a bit, I think they bring a lot.of the same qualities, but Bennett doesnt fall on his ass as often and seems more engaged physically when given a bigger role.
Absolutely love what Mangiapane brings yo the team, but see him as more of a bottom six energy type guy going forward. (Benny is gonna be a bottom six guy too, but is much stronger on the puck)
Bennett is terrible at hockey. You should watch him play.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Hanifin has 25 minute, #1 PP quarterback potential within 3 years.....Gio is regressing at a consistent rate due to age so the opportunity will be there

Reactions: JPeeper

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Unfortunately, the bolded is incorrect. Was on his ass repeatedly in the last couple of games - tripping over nothing. He needs to build up his core / lower body strength, especially after the injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad