Habs fans!

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
Hi! I'm pretty new here on the boards, and I just want to say I really love Habs, been following them as much as I can here from sweden since I was a kid. All started with me getting a Habs cap from my cousin at 5 years of age :D (still have it).

Anyways... now my question is, I've heard from people that since Montreal is mainly "french-canadians" (?) and that hey tend to pretty much only like canadian players, especially from montreal area. I would love to some day see a swede playing for habs, how would the reaction be? i know there's a couple foreigners in the line up, but what does the fans actually think about it?

maybe this is just a stupid rant i've heard from nobodies who doesn't know anything so please dont hate me for asking :D

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
Can't wait to see Collberg in our top 6 (hopefully).

Edit, as for your other question. I am a habs fan in southern ontario.

I really hope so too! :D and Magnus Nygren! He's been beasting it up here in Sweden lately :D

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
At this point, Montreal really doesn't concentrate on French players, to the dismay of many. They have drafted the most French players in the last 10 years, but they won't really give a job to a Francophone over a more qualified European, or American.

Montreal hasn't had a ton of Swedish players, (Dackell, Dahlin, Engqvist, Hoglund, Popovic, and of course most notably Le Petit Viking Mats Naslund) and that's a shame, but I don't think the management is actively avoiding Sweden. We picked two Swedes this summer, and I hope they add more in the near future. Someone like Elias Lindholm could fit into our roster nicely.

If all goes well, we should have a Swedish sniper in our ranks in the next two years. Collberg is looking like a good pick.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
A whole bunch of Swedes have played for the Habs over the years. Sundstrom, Dackell, we traded for Sundin but he wouldn't sign. We currently have a Dane named Lars Eller and were captained by Finn Saku Koivu for years. So yeah, Montreal likes Scandinavians! (Especially the female ones)

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
At this point, Montreal really doesn't concentrate on French players, to the dismay of many. They have drafted the most French players in the last 10 years, but they won't really give a job to a Francophone over a more qualified European, or American.

Montreal hasn't had a ton of Swedish players, (Dackell, Dahlin, Engqvist, Hoglund, Popovic, and of course most notably Le Petit Viking Mats Naslund) and that's a shame, but I don't think the management is actively avoiding Sweden. We picked two Swedes this summer, and I hope they add more in the near future. Someone like Elias Lindholm could fit into our roster nicely.

If all goes well, we should have a Swedish sniper in our ranks in the next two years. Collberg is looking like a good pick.

Yeah, only Mats Näslund worth mentioning of them :D Yeah i'm really excited for Collberg, he's been bulking up last few months as well :D

Dec 2, 2010
Are you kidding me? Do you not know Naslund?! Mats fricking Naslund man!

Habs fans love talent and effort. In that order. If you make the games entertaining, you're a fan favourite.

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
A whole bunch of Swedes have played for the Habs over the years. Sundstrom, Dackell, we traded for Sundin but he wouldn't sign. We currently have a Dane named Lars Eller and were captained by Finn Saku Koivu for years. So yeah, Montreal likes Scandinavians! (Especially the female ones)

Yup, true! but i was more questioning if the fans really supported the clubs choices of getting non-canadians etc, but seems like it :D :handclap:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's mostly the fake-fans-nationalist-unknowledgable that think that way.

Equal talent we might consider the home boy more, but thats about it.

Two years ago I was dreaming of Landy, last year I was dreaming of Forsberg and i liked Lindholmand this year a guy like Hagg, Lindholm, De la Rose or Wennberg would be good addition to our corp. And I have an inconditional love for Sorensen.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Hi! I'm pretty new here on the boards, and I just want to say I really love Habs, been following them as much as I can here from sweden since I was a kid. All started with me getting a Habs cap from my cousin at 5 years of age :D (still have it).

Anyways... now my question is, I've heard from people that since Montreal is mainly "french-canadians" (?) and that hey tend to pretty much only like canadian players, especially from montreal area. I would love to some day see a swede playing for habs, how would the reaction be? i know there's a couple foreigners in the line up, but what does the fans actually think about it?

maybe this is just a stupid rant i've heard from nobodies who doesn't know anything so please dont hate me for asking :D

First of all, welcome! It's great to meet a fellow Habs fan from Sweden.

I've been following the Canadiens for decades and have watched the roster change from half/half Quebecois (French Canadian) and English Canadians, to the modern roster that is a mix of international players. These days less than half the team is Canadian, and fan favourites are Pacioretty (American), Price (Western Canada), Plekanec (Czech) and Markov (Russian). Habs fans aren't really concerned about where the players are from, as long as they're good.

The only place where some fans expect to hear french is behind the bench, an embarrassing situation you may have heard about last year. I understand why they feel this way, but it was handled very poorly.

Most of us are also very excited to see Sebastian Collberg become another big piece of our improving team. It'll be nice to have a Swedish connection on the ice; I hope you become our Swedish connection on this board.

Sthabs

Apr 7, 2006
Welcome to the boards !
If you have any hindsight or info,or if u happen to watch the some games with Collberg and Nygren they re always gonne ba appreciated ;)

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Yup :D If i have to be at uni in the morning i sleep after dinner and go up at 1am :p

Woah! That's dedication! Glad to have you among us.

We' not avoiding Swedish players. There are a lot of good Sweedes, we're just not getting them. We just try to get the best we can. We had Mats Naslund for a while, back in the days.

But we're actively following Collberg. He's really impressed us, especially in WJC.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
Welcome to the boards! Mats Naslund was my favorite player when I was young and I'm really excited to see Collberg here one day. It seemed like the Habs were ignoring Swedish players for a while, it's too bad, most Swedes are fantastic hockey players.

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
It's mostly the fake-fans-nationalist-unknowledgable that think that way.

Equal talent we might consider the home boy more, but thats about it.

Two years ago I was dreaming of Landy, last year I was dreaming of Forsberg and i liked Lindholmand this year a guy like Hagg, Lindholm, De la Rose or Wennberg would be good addition to our corp. And I have an inconditional love for Sorensen.

Yup, would love and Hägg as well, I was really impressed by him during juniors.

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
Welcome to the boards! Mats Naslund was my favorite player when I was young and I'm really excited to see Collberg here one day. It seemed like the Habs were ignoring Swedish players for a while, it's too bad, most Swedes are fantastic hockey players.

Thanks! :) I was born 1990 so don't remember much other what I've seen on tv/dvds and youtube ;p I dont really mind not having swedish players, it's obviously more fun for me but as long as team is doing great im happy :p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->