HF Habs: Habs Development Camp (June 28th - July 1st) 2nd scrimmage June 30th 4PM on RDS.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
How many here think it’s possible we get Poehling and/or Kotkaniemi in the 2019/20 season?

I'd be very surprised if we tried to integrate two rookie centres into our lineup. In 2004 and 2005, Jeff Carter and Mike Richards looked great for Team Canada in back to back WJC championships and then went on to play HUGE roles in a Calder Cup championship by the Philadelphia Phantoms during the lockout season. Everyone expected them to jump right into the Flyers lineup and contribute significantly but both struggled in their first two seasons.

I could be wrong but I can't see Julien giving two rookies significant ice time at the the centre position. We shall see.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
This is exactly the kind of thing Ylonen should be standing out at, plus he is a bit older than some of the other guys drafted, but it's still good to hear he's holding his own.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Despite these scrimmages not being the best place to gauge these kids as they're not all going 100%, I have to say the little that I've seen and the rest that I've read, the Habs have themselves a very good crop of prospects. My only regrets are that Ikonen and Brook couldn't take part in this because of injuries.

I can't wait for the seasons to start to follow them all.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm not much into superlatives but I have to say this is the best prospect camp I've seen this team have, talent level wise at least. It's way too early to go any farther than that but I'm genuinely optimistic about our prospect pool now. Add the fact that we have competent coaching in the AHL and I think we're headed in the right direction.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Do you seriously think that Zadina would have made our team better next year? No chance, his skating isnt there yet, same with Tkachuk, the only NHL ready foward is Svechnikov, he is the only foward in that draft class that can have a positive impact on his team as soon as next season... And its not like the Habs are in win now mode anyway so I dont see the point here...

As someone who watches the Q and the mooseheads I get to see zadina first hand. I have no doubts he would make the habs and would play in our top six. You could pencil him in for 15 to 20 goals the kids that good.

I"m worried about koko puff. Having not been even good enough to make Finlands junior team is a red flag to me. Add to the fact that there's been reports he's a weak skater worries me more.

The only argument I hear is zadina is 10 months older than koko. Not a big difference guys come on. Zadina is better period.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Despite these scrimmages not being the best place to gauge these kids as they're not all going 100%, I have to say the little that I've seen and the rest that I've read, the Habs have themselves a very good crop of prospects. My only regrets are that Ikonen and Brook couldn't take part in this because of injuries.

I can't wait for the seasons to start to follow them all.

I'm not much into superlatives but I have to say this is the best prospect camp I've seen this team have, talent level wise at least. It's way too early to go any farther than that but I'm genuinely optimistic about our prospect pool now. Add the fact that we have competent coaching in the AHL and I think we're headed in the right direction.

It definitely feels like a 'good' prospect pool. We desperately need an elite guy or two. I think between the young players on the actual habs and the prospects we have fantastic complimentary guys but we still need those real big guns. Kotkaniemi COULD be that player but I wouldn't quite bank on that nor is he enough.

I just hope we're bad enough (if we don't go full rebuild and trade Price,Weber, Patches) to get that high pick at least next year. Maybe the next two years.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
As someone who watches the Q and the mooseheads I get to see zadina first hand. I have no doubts he would make the habs and would play in our top six. You could pencil him in for 15 to 20 goals the kids that good.

I"m worried about koko puff. Having not been even good enough to make Finlands junior team is a red flag to me. Add to the fact that there's been reports he's a weak skater worries me more.

The only argument I hear is zadina is 10 months older than koko. Not a big difference guys come on. Zadina is better period.

So you haven’t noticed a big difference between Ryan Poehling last year and this year I guess?

Reactions: jaffy27

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
So you haven’t noticed a big difference between Ryan Poehling last year and this year I guess?

'I like one better so the other is bad' is pretty much the only argument he had.

Wouldn't waste my time replying to him, honestly, simple suggestion.

Reactions: Gally11

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Zadina didn’t make the WC team... that isn’t a red flag?

“reports he’s a weak skater”

Fair enough but you’re saying you haven’t actually seen him skate?

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
So just a few more quick observations from the camp -

Fonstad was used as a LW - I believe he also played LW in the CHL last year. So perhaps he will be a LW? Will be interesting to follow that - somehow he reminds me a bit of Alex Tanguay his style.

Obviously all the kids need to keep improving but the talent looks pretty good out there. It will be fun to follow the players - I hope Houde can turn up his offensive game in junior. I'm also really interested to see how the college kids do - Gorniak, Harris and Stapley (he wasn't there). I like all those college picks. Jordan Harris seems tiny so I am particular curious to see how his game translates to college.

McShane has skills - Hillis has a lot of jam - Fonstad has the cool name. A little bit of everything. Hopefully Kotkaniemi and the Euro picks all keep getting better. Bigger stronger faster. Olofsson has to learn to pass the biscuit. But it was tons of fun to watch can't wait to see how the picks look a year from now.

Reactions: WinterLion

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

you mention that you are watching the Q... Well I would suggest you to watch some Koko games as well, the kid played Pro last season while Zadina had fun in junior..

I also watch junior hockey at times and Zadina's speed and skating has nothing impressive as well, you have a couple of guys in the Q that skate way faster than Zadina...

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
you mention that you are watching the Q... Well I would suggest you to watch some Koko games as well, the kid played Pro last season while Zadina had fun in junior..

I also watch junior hockey at times and Zadina's speed and skating has nothing impressive as well, you have a couple of guys in the Q that skate way faster than Zadina...

Where would I get a chance to watch "Finnish games"? The only chance we would of had to watch koko play was in the world juniors....a team he didn't make.

Do you honestly think zadina will be back in Halifax next year? He has nothing else to prove there.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Zadina didn’t make the WC team... that isn’t a red flag?

“reports he’s a weak skater”

Fair enough but you’re saying you haven’t actually seen him skate?

Why would the WC team be a red flag. At least he made the World Junior team. And ripped that tournament up.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

Well the 10 months younger is against your national team selection argument. And as much the zadinistas want to pump his tires, we don't know who's gonna be better. Lets wait for their D+1 at the very least.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
Well the 10 months younger is against your national team selection argument. And as much the zadinistas want to pump his tires, we don't know who's gonna be better. Lets wait for their D+1 at the very least.

The 10 month argument is irrelevant. If your good enough to play you'll make the team. Lots of 16 year olds make the world juniors. Can we at least say that "right now" zadina is better than koko? I think that's fair.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
The 10 month argument is irrelevant. If your good enough to play you'll make the team. Lots of 16 year olds make the world juniors. Can we at least say that "right now" zadina is better than koko? I think that's fair.

I think you are missing the point, there is no way to know who's better right now they didn't play in the same league. On 2018 there is a huge difference between a center and a winger, it's an entirely differant position. Crosby vs Ovechkin is a box score comparaison, theyggave it up a long time ago; they even tried to compare Laine to Matthews, then realized it doesn't make sense anymore.

I know you want to be right, but even you can't really be sure, so what's the point? Let's follow their d+1 at the very least.

Reactions: Acadien86

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
I think you are missing the point, there is no way to know who's better right now they didn't play in the same league. On 2018 there is a huge difference between a center and a winger, it's an entirely differant position. Crosby vs Ovechkin is a box score comparaison, theyggave it up a long time ago; they even tried to compare Laine to Matthews, then realized it doesn't make sense anymore.

I know you want to be right, but even you can't really be sure, so what's the point? Let's follow their d+1 at the very least.

Fair enough. We can revisit it next year. Although I'm worried this pick was no more than a fishing expedition. Koko was rated in the teens in most magazines and mock drafts

Reactions: ChoseLa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad