HF Habs: Habs Development Camp (June 28th - July 1st) 2nd scrimmage June 30th 4PM on RDS.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
It seems so silly, but I do think we were lucky that he played in Mestis this year: I'm sure another good player would have been available (Olofsson, for example) had he been taken earlier, but he has a lot of potential. I don't think he can be the one to lead an offense, but he can keep up with anyone.
We dont sniff this guy if he was in the CHL, that much is certain, he'd of been gone in the teens

tho i AM happy mestis was comprised of men as well, same with allsvenskan for Olofsson (who helped promote his team)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
We dont sniff this guy if he was in the CHL, that much is certain, he'd of been gone in the teens

tho i AM happy mestis was comprised of men as well, same with allsvenskan for Olofsson (who helped promote his team)

I can't wait to see how Olofsson handles the SHL: he's a huge wild card. As he and his team showed, the top Allsvenskan teams can hang with the bottom SHL teams, but it is still a whole different ball game. I would have predicted 1 ppg in Allsvenskan without batting an eye, but without digging into things further, I'm not quite sure what to expect for him.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was thinking to myself today that I would prefer Fonstad to stay as a winger.

I would want PA to use him at center, we can move him to the wing in Laval.

I can't wait to see how Olofsson handles the SHL: he's a huge wild card. As he and his team showed, the top Allsvenskan teams can hang with the bottom SHL teams, but it is still a whole different ball game. I would have predicted 1 ppg in Allsvenskan without batting an eye, but without digging into things further, I'm not quite sure what to expect for him.

I remember when DLR's team got promoted and in the 0ff-season I spoke to some Swedish fans that were all saying how badly Leksand would do in the SHL but they ended up middle of the pack or so if memory is correct. Either way they did a lot better then expected. Hopefully Timra has similar success and Olofsson is a good part of the reason why.

Reactions: Redux91

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I would want PA to use him at center, we can move him to the wing in Laval.

That's fine by me. I think he could be a really good playmaking winger.

I remember when DLR's team got promoted and in the 0ff-season I spoke to some Swedish fans that were all saying how badly Leksand would do in the SHL but they ended up middle of the pack or so if memory is correct. Either way they did a lot better then expected. Hopefully Timra has similar success and Olofsson is a good part of the reason why.

Yep, they were middle of the pack which would be a pretty good outcome for Timrå. I was perusing their roster the other day and it looks like Jacob should get a lot of playing time.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
DhDNl9DXkAAcMEQ.jpg

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Ylonen's speed/stride and puck handling at high speeds is nuts, really excited to see how he progresses. Kotka showed his hands and smarts (needs to work on his explosiveness/first few steps tho), Poehling and Fleury are very close to being NHL ready and they both have the tools to be high up the depth chart (top 4 D/top 6 C).

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
One has to think they love olofsson as much as we do, i think he'll get a deal soon enough, he absolutely stood out among everyone we had

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Bergevin talked about center depth during his presser, he named Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Olofsson and went straight to Houde, said he liked him during camp and said he's a very intelligent player.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Here's a full report:

Jeremiah Addisson: Good hands, wheels and effort, as usual, but he lacks vision, runs into players with the puck, tries to do too much. He's a junior player with the puck, might be okay at grinding one day.

Will Bitten: He is a speed demon and most likely, a future grinder. He reminds me of Mitchell, a lot. Good tools and all, but he's just not good enough to be more.

Vladimir Bryuvkin: He has wheels, he made some nice passes. Another pro player, kinda like McNiven. He seemed bored out there, didn't do much even though he had the speed and skill for it. He's obviously not good enough though. KHL.

Cale Fleury: He is a man amongst boys. Hes the most NHL ready player I d say, he needs to get reps in the AHL and a lot of them. He has a really active stick and super nifty vision. Love him even more.
He's also great at walking the line in the offensive zone and loves to backdoor, didn't use his shot at all.
He's a better prospect than his brother, and he looks better than any D prospect the Habs have had since Subban? Not gonna be high end though. Likely tops out as a 20 points guy. Maybe 30 ? Idk.

Cole Fonstad: My little Fonzie got WHEEEEEEEELS . He also has really great hands, vision and tenacity. You all know I was high on Berggren ? Well, I think he's the next best thing after him. He's super skinny and not super tall though, but with that speed and all that skill ? IDGAF. His shot is also muffin like, but he gets it off quick and it was accurate. He needs to stop running into D's though, he's not gonna pull that off from now on.

Jack Gorniak: My little Gorney got WHEEEEEEEEEEEELS. Take every thing Ive written above and put it on Gorniak. Kid is a pick. He's the revelation for me in this camp.

Hagel: Didn't take a look at him, I have other things to do. He's fast tho.

Jordan Harris: Once again... Another fast player.......... With hands...... He runs in players a lot, like Fonstad and he's a bit all over the place. Physical tools are there though, and he seems to have that offensive jump. Will look at this guy closely.

Cameron Hillis: Didnt notice him once. Looked for his number but didnt see him, was he injured ? He made a few nice passes and all but didn't show much, again Rookie camp, its not the stanley cup finals.

Samuel Houde: Hey, he was fine. Good gap control, active stick. Didn't show much else. Played a lot though. Looks like a thick dude.

Ryan Hughes: Crazy wheels, he outskated everyone on the first turn of the rink, then he didnt do anything.

Alex Katerinakis: Another guy that buzzes around a lot. He's okay. Some slick passes and a few nice shots. Didnt really focus on him.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi: The crown jewel baby. always ahead of the play offensively but slightly behind defensively. Left me wanting more, at times but I also recognised he was the most skilled on the ice. Every time he had the puck he made a move. His hands are reminescent of every long stick danglers, Draisaitl, Anisimov, Malkin, Getzlaf. Long ass reach, good for defensive assignemnts, good for shooting, good for dangling. We have a player. He needs to play and play a lot though. He's thin as hell, but he has that tall and broad build, he could be a real one. The next two years are the difference between a a guy that has it but doesnt have it all and a guy like Draisaitl. Id stick a trainer to him 24/7 if I could. The wealth of a million dollar franchise basically hangs by this thread.

Otto Leskinen: Looked tall on the ice, and kinda lumbering. I was surprised to read he was only 5'11. Didn't do much out there. Few good passes but nothing more.

Allan McShane: He's good. Shot and all. Skating aint there, obviously. He looks pretty thick though and he's active with his stick, had some Gallagher annoyingness to him on the ice, really active stick.

Michael McNiven: Looked solid, though its a rookie camp and he's passed that IMO, he's a pro.

TJ Melancon: Boy I don't know but he seemed to have played the whole time. He also looks like hes 35 years old up close.

Michal Moravcik: Holy shit is this guy huge. He didnt do much aside from that :/.

Jacob Oloffsson: This guys is huge too, and he has wheels, and he has hands, and his lateral mobility is amazing, and he's a heads up player... And with all of that said, he left me wanting more. Tools, no tool box kind of guy and in this case, the toolbox is effort.

Adam Plant: Bad hockey name, tiny, has some wheels, pushed around alot. A bergy special.

Ryan Poehling: He displayed good wheels, strength on the boards, ability to direct a faceoff and win it, heads up play, a muffin shot and quick hands in tight. Broad shoulders, still thin. Needs to work on it for a year or two again. He's the type of guy thats gets 50 in a year and you don't know why.

Antony Rinaldi: He was a lot of what Waked looked like last year. He looks like a first liner... For the ECHL.

Jarret Tyszka: would be Canadas number 1 D if he wanted it. Kid is so damn toolsy, he has it all. Skating, shot, hands, vision, size, strength... but he seems to be at 75% most of the time and hes playing too tame. He has that long reach that allows him to protect the puck, he has that vision that allows him to do every thing, that lateral mobility... Such a shame, because I know he won't amount to anything. He seemed shy too, he was on the outside and didn't gel with the rest of the guys from what Ive seen.

Jesse Ylonen: AKA Baby golden boy. WHAT A SHOT. LAZER. WOOSH. Watching him on crappy internet feed to watching him in actual 3D HD AQUA PLASMA+++ VISION. That was crazy. He's a good skater, he's a great shooter, he's a high speed dangler. Razzle Dazzle. But I could break him in half without trying. Those are the smallest legs Ive seen, ever. He's a project, he needs to play for a few years in the minors. He could probably hang on right now on account of his shot, hands and speed, but we need much more from him.

Note that Ive seen most of those gus on tape save for a few NCAA/USHL/WTV and i probably have a case of confirmation bias.

Last edited:

darknife2311

Jun 29, 2018
Here's a full report:

Jeremiah Addisson: Good hands, wheels and effort, as usual, but he lacks vision, runs into players with the puck, tries to do too much. He's a junior player with the puck, might be okay at grinding one day.

Will Bitten: He is a speed demon and most likely, a future grinder. He reminds me of Mitchell, a lot. Good tools and all, but he's just not good enough to be more.

Vladimir Bryuvkin: He has wheels, he made some nice passes. Another pro player, kinda like McNiven. He seemed bored out there, didn't do much even though he had the speed and skill for it. He's obviously not good enough though. KHL.

Cale Fleury: He is a man amongst boys. Hes the most NHL ready player I d say, he needs to get reps in the AHL and a lot of them. He has a really active stick and super nifty vision. Love him even more.
He's also great at walking the line in the offensive zone and loves to backdoor, didn't use his shot at all.
He's a better prospect than his brother, and he looks better than any D prospect the Habs have had since Subban? Not gonna be high end though. Likely tops out as a 20 points guy. Maybe 30 ? Idk.

Cole Fonstad: My little Fonzie got WHEEEEEEEELS . He also has really great hands, vision and tenacity. You all know I was high on Berggren ? Well, I think he's the next best thing after him. He's super skinny and not super tall though, but with that speed and all that skill ? IDGAF. His shot is also muffin like, but he gets it off quick and it was accurate. He needs to stop running into D's though, he's not gonna pull that off from now on.

Jack Gorniak: My little Gorney got WHEEEEEEEEEEEELS. Take every thing Ive written above and put it on Gorniak. Kid is a pick. He's the revelation for me in this camp.

Hagel: Didn't take a look at him, I have other things to do. He's fast tho.

Jordan Harris: Once again... Another fast player.......... With hands...... He runs in players a lot, like Fonstad and he's a bit all over the place. Physical tools are there though, and he seems to have that offensive jump. Will look at this guy closely.

Cameron Hillis: Didnt notice him once. Looked for his number but didnt see him, was he injured ? He made a few nice passes and all but didn't show much, again Rookie camp, its not the stanley cup finals.

Samuel Houde: Hey, he was fine. Good gap control, active stick. Didn't show much else. Played a lot though. Looks like a thick dude.

Ryan Hughes: Crazy wheels, he outskated everyone on the first turn of the rink, then he didnt do anything.

Alex Katerinakis: Another guy that buzzes around a lot. He's okay. Some slick passes and a few nice shots. Didnt really focus on him.

Jesperi Kotkaniemi: The crown jewel baby. always ahead of the play offensively but slightly behind defensively. Left me wanting more, at times but I also recognised he was the most skilled on the ice. Every time he had the puck he made a move. His hands are reminescent of every long stick danglers, Draisaitl, Anisimov, Malkin, Getzlaf. Long ass reach, good for defensive assignemnts, good for shooting, good for dangling. We have a player. He needs to play and play a lot though. He's thin as hell, but he has that tall and broad build, he could be a real one. The next two years are the difference between a a guy that has it but doesnt have it all and a guy like Draisaitl. Id stick a trainer to him 24/7 if I could. The wealth of a million dollar franchise basically hangs by this thread.

Otto Leskinen: Looked tall on the ice, and kinda lumbering. I was surprised to read he was only 5'11. Didn't do much out there. Few good passes but nothing more.

Allan McShane: He's good. Shot and all. Skating aint there, obviously. He looks pretty thick though and he's active with his stick, had some Gallagher annoyingness to him on the ice, really active stick.

Michael McNiven: Looked solid, though its a rookie camp and he's passed that IMO, he's a pro.

TJ Melancon: Boy I don't know but he seemed to have played the whole time. He also looks like hes 35 years old up close.

Michal Moravcik: Holy **** is this guy huge. He didnt do much aside from that :/.

Jacob Oloffsson: This guys is huge too, and he has wheels, and he has hands, and his lateral mobility is amazing, and he's a heads up player... And with all of that said, he left me wanting more. Tools, no tool box kind of guy and in this case, the toolbox is effort.

Adam Plant: Bad hockey name, tiny, has some wheels, pushed around alot. A bergy special.

Ryan Poehling: He displayed good wheels, strength on the boards, ability to direct a faceoff and win it, heads up play, a muffin shot and quick hands in tight. Broad shoulders, still thin. Needs to work on it for a year or two again. He's the type of guy thats gets 50 in a year and you don't know why.

Antony Rinaldi: He was a lot of what Waked looked like last year. He looks like a first liner... For the ECHL.

Jarret Tyszka: would be Canadas number 1 D if he wanted it. Kid is so damn toolsy, he has it all. Skating, shot, hands, vision, size, strength... but he seems to be at 75% most of the time and hes playing too tame. He has that long reach that allows him to protect the puck, he has that vision that allows him to do every thing, that lateral mobility... Such a shame, because I know he won't amount to anything. He seemed shy too, he was on the outside and didn't gel with the rest of the guys from what Ive seen.

Jesse Ylonen: AKA Baby golden boy. WHAT A SHOT. LAZER. WOOSH. Watching him on crappy internet feed to watching him in actual 3D HD AQUA PLASMA+++ VISION. That was crazy. He's a good skater, he's a great shooter, he's a high speed dangler. Razzle Dazzle. But I could break him in half without trying. Those are the smallest legs Ive seen, ever. He's a project, he needs to play for a few years in the minors. He could probably hang on right now on account of his shot, hands and speed, but we need much more from him.

nothing on Teasdale or it's just an oversight ??

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
With the lack of depth at C (at the NHL level), would be shocked if he's not starting in MTL in 2019-20.
no hurry, I would bring him over for 2019-20 to start in the AHL, then lets see how things progress... same thing with Ylonen...

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
with Kotka, the number 1 thing he needs to improve is his puck management during zone entries (gave the puck away several times in the scrimmages by forcing passes that weren't there).
thats not a problem to me since he had no issue with that last u18, its more of an adjustment to do on smaller ice...

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
There's 1 simple difference in what i said, how MOSt of us post, we're "hoping" for what we're talking about, as in we HOPE kotka works out, we hope olof works out, we hope there's competition for the top 6 Center position

what are YOU bringing to the table? : KOTKA IS AN ABSOLUTE BUST

you're not even "hoping" he busts, youve already set it into your MIND that he without a doubt will not make it, you and a couple of others think this way, and its going AGAINST the popular notion that is he WILL be pretty decent we HOPe in the not too distant future..

whats surprising is it is litteraly "the popular opinion vs your less popular opinion" and your *****ing about "the world is against me" like what the **** can we tell you man?

keep posting your opinion of COURSE, but dont be surprised when an avalanche of people come BACK at you with disagreement as if your word is 100% right no matter what?

I think it's a popular opinion that the habs reached for kokopuff. Brian Burke said it himself on tsn that Montreal are reaching for a center. Not saying koko will be a bust but he wasnt the best player available on many lists. Zdina and tkachuk could be pencilled into the habs roster immediately where as koko will need a few years if he ever makes it. I'll take the sure bet in zdina any day over the fishing expedition Timmins went on for koko. Timmins poor record speaks for itself

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I think it's a popular opinion that the habs reached for kokopuff. Brian Burke said it himself on tsn that Montreal are reaching for a center. Not saying koko will be a bust but he wasnt the best player available on many lists. Zdina and tkachuk could be pencilled into the habs roster immediately where as koko will need a few years if he ever makes it. I'll take the sure bet in zdina any day over the fishing expedition Timmins went on for koko. Timmins poor record speaks for itself
Hardly a reach, and I wouldn't trust Burke's word when it comes to scouting young talent (trading up for Tyler Biggs)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

That's a far bigger reach than taking him at 3.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
No Verbeek. Still recovering from a broken arm or wrist ( was never revealed locally).

I think fans will like him. Of the fringe types like Bitten, I like his chances to eventually make it.

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
That's a far bigger reach than taking him at 3.

He could make it. He's never going to be as good as zdina. Koko didn't even play for the Finnish junior team a tournament zdina n tkachuk both dominated. So how did he get picked over both of them. Based on a "b" team under 18s? "Facepalm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad