Pre-Game Talk: Habs @ Coyote : Wednesday October 30th at 22H

If it's up to you, Price will play against?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Not this year. He may have been there best overall forward this year but it's been a struggle this year. Grabner had a SH against the Devils last game. He's dangerous on the PK because of his speed.

There top line is Dvorek, schmaltz and Garland.
Still waiting on Kessel to get it going but he started his decline last year. And there's no Geno in the desert.

I honestly don't follow them that much, but I'd be very surprised if Brad Richardson was their best forward??? Their record is too good for that :huh:

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I honestly don't follow them that much, but I'd be very surprised if Brad Richardson was their best forward??? Their record is too good for that :huh:
I mean he was their best overall forward LAST year. My bad. This year's been a struggle for him and he's injured right now.

A bunch of their players are finally hitting their stride.

Reactions: abo9

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
My take is Byron is a victim of having a contract he won't be able to live up to.

That concussion he suffered gives pause. I’ve seen several claim that he hasn’t been the same since returning from it.

Reactions: Rapala

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
A few things to consider when watching Byron:

1)The league in general has gotten faster, and while he's still among the fastest, the crazy gap in speed he had has diminished considerably. There's less opportunity for him to take advantage of slow D.
2)He's still playing decently in his own end, and isn't costing the team.
3)He's been reduced a bit in his role, because we have actual skill now in - Domi/Drouin/KK/Armia/Suzuki/Gallagher/Tatar - I think a different roster would get more use out of his versatility, since our roster has become better since he's been in MTL. I think he would still fetch a solid return, even if it isn't the kind of one we'd get if he had a 20 goal pace.

Byron
Lehkonen
Weal

All 3 should be considered trade chips, with varying degrees of value.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That concussion he suffered gives pause. I’ve seen several claim that he hasn’t been the same since returning from it.

True. I remember being in the what an idiot camp when he decided to drop them that issue was split for sure.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
True. I remember being in the what an idiot camp when he decided to drop them that issue was split for sure.

I like that he's a feisty guy but he's no Stan Jonathan, one of the greatest small NHL face-punchers pound for pound, of all time.

He was clearly out of his weight class and should have walked away but couldn't do it. I too had that wtf reaction.

Now we're left wondering how long he'll be the shadow of his former self. So long as he is, no one is going to pay for what he was able to produce before his concussion.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
With a 3 day break, I'd use Price on the B2B & Kinkaid vs Dallas. That gives Price 4 days rest before playing the Bruins at home. Otherwise, it's only 2 days with one being a travel day.

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Watching Arizona tonight it's clear we aren't going to out work them (the Tocchet effect).
Can we out talent them?

Reactions: Runner77

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
In a back to back, you look to get 2 points. I go all in on the most achievable result, which is in Arizona.

Price in Arizona. Kinkaid in Vegas.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
In a back to back, you look to get 2 points. I go all in on the most achievable result, which is in Arizona.

Price in Arizona. Kinkaid in Vegas.

Arizona playing very well right now, neither game will be a cake walk but them coming off a road trip could be constituted as a trap game. I go with Price for sure.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Arizona playing very well right now, neither game will be a cake walk but them coming off a road trip could be constituted as a trap game. I go with Price for sure.

It's definitely no cakewalk. But I'll take my chances with Arizona than Vegas on the 2nd night of a b2b.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
With a 3 day break, I'd use Price on the B2B & Kinkaid vs Dallas. That gives Price 4 days rest before playing the Bruins at home. Otherwise, it's only 2 days with one being a travel day.

I look at Fleury in Vegas who played 12 out of their 13 games and he's older than Price…..no problem, and on top of that, he's posting solid numbers.

I took a look at Price's numbers in back to back last year….93.0% and 2.28 GAA in 6 games played in a back to back.
Well above his average for the season.
The year before he put up 91.1% and 2.66 GAA in 3 games which is also above his average for the season.

He posted his worst numbers after 2 days rest in both seasons too.
(90% and 2.88GAA / 89% and 3.52GAA)

We shouldn't be scare to play Price all week long if he's up to it.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I look at Fleury in Vegas who played 12 out of their 13 games and he's older than Price…..no problem, and on top of that, he's posting solid numbers.

I took a look at Price's numbers in back to back last year….93.0% and 2.28 GAA in 6 games played in a back to back.
Well above his average for the season.
The year before he put up 91.1% and 2.66 GAA in 3 games which is also above his average for the season.

He posted his worst numbers after 2 days rest in both seasons too.
(90% and 2.88GAA / 89% and 3.52GAA)

We shouldn't be scare to play Price all week long if he's up to it.

My question would be how many b2b games has Vegas played?

Binnington started 48 games combining his ahl/nhl work in the blues cup win.

Holtby played 59 games in the caps cup win.

Fleury played 38, and Murray 49 in their cup win with pittsburgh.

Those are the last 3 cup winners. I think Vegas should make sure to manage MAF's starts, especially since they have the type of team that can afford to rest him. They got a good team with or without MAF.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I go with Price the first night. I also think that Habs need to consider sitting Weber in the second of the b2b games. Juulsen must be ready to return. Or Kulak. Neither can do worse than Weber when he's fatigued.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just checked, Weal, Kulak and Folin were extras during yesterday’s skate so Weal not likely to be in the lineup.

Reactions: Tyson

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
My question would be how many b2b games has Vegas played?

Binnington started 48 games combining his ahl/nhl work in the blues cup win.

Holtby played 59 games in the caps cup win.

Fleury played 38, and Murray 49 in their cup win with pittsburgh.

Those are the last 3 cup winners. I think Vegas should make sure to manage MAF's starts, especially since they have the type of team that can afford to rest him. They got a good team with or without MAF.

You are right about all those stats about the 3 last Cup Winner….but we should aim at making the PO to begin with and not thinking about winning the Cup either. We're not there yet and resting Price for that reason seems a little bit weird considering we've not made a 2nd round appearance in the last 4 years.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Watching Arizona tonight it's clear we aren't going to out work them (the Tocchet effect).
Can we out talent them?

I think the Habs are a very hard working team with speed but we are not physically strong which means we lose puck battles and possession at times. Are they more physically stronger then us? Not sure. Who is the faster team? Thinking the Habs but also not sure.

Can we out talent them? I think we have more talent and it might come down to special teams.

Coyotes don't allow too many goals and they play tight waiting for mistakes. I don't believe we will take them lightly. Should be a good one I think

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You are right about all those stats about the 3 last Cup Winner….but we should aim at making the PO to begin with and not thinking about winning the Cup either. We're not there yet and resting Price for that reason seems a little bit weird considering we've not made a 2nd round appearance in the last 4 years.

Agreed. As Bergevin said it himself, 2 pts in Oct is worth the same in Apr. I'd be surprised if Price played both though with the Stars on Saturday.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I go with Price the first night. I also think that Habs need to consider sitting Weber in the second of the b2b games. Juulsen must be ready to return. Or Kulak. Neither can do worse than Weber when he's fatigued.

It's not a bad idea to rest Weber and I think Juulsen is a good fit with Mete. Don't know if Juulsen is ready for a top 4D NHL role just yet though? What has he played? 2 AHL games so far?

As far as Weber goes, it doesn't look good when speed clutters him up but he does do a lot out there that people don't value. This season might be a wake-up call for him though if he thinks he's playing a top role for the next 3 or 4 years. Needs to work harder in conditioning in the off season IMO.

However, if Weber is not neutralizing players down low, playing physical, and not scoring PP goals, he becomes very average or below average. Seems like a rough season for him in terms of top pairing value and can he rebound? We will see.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's not a bad idea to rest Weber and I think Juulsen is a good fit with Mete. Don't know if Juulsen is ready for a top 4D NHL role just yet though? What has he played? 2 AHL games so far?

As far as Weber goes, it doesn't look good when speed clutters him up but he does do a lot out there that people don't value. This season might be a wake-up call for him though if he thinks he's playing a top role for the next 3 or 4 years. Needs to work harder in conditioning in the off season IMO.

However, if Weber is not neutralizing players down low, playing physical, and not scoring PP goals, he becomes very average or below average. Seems like a rough season for him in terms of top pairing value and can he rebound? We will see.

As much as we’d all like Juulsen back, he’s not ready. Just heard an interview with Joel Bouchard and he said as much. There are good signs though, esp. from the 2nd game Juulsen played last week, where he was great both with and without the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad