Rumor: Habs considering Pominville

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
There's a need for a RW. I would take Laine tho.

There is. But if Suzuki steps in, we have Gallagher-Suzuki-Armia as our top-9 RW. The open spot would be on the 4th line. Tatar and Drouin can also play the right wing, and Byron can play any position and be useful.

Which is also okay. He’s probably league minimum on a one way deal at this point

People always overreact to these types of depth moves for some reason

Yeah. If anything, I’d suspect it’s a PTO or cheap deal to create competition in camp.

Reactions: Steeler23

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Five years or more ago ? Could have been interesting

Now ? Meh

Salaries aside , (Briere signed for 2y/4m. I doubt it would be thatg much for Pominville) this has Daniel Briere Part 2 written all over it

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Poms is not a C. Smart, although heavily declining RW who still has decent puck handling skills and a good shot. Not physical, and I would imagine that he is pretty slow at this point, though not terribly so. Great locker room guy...I don't see him being that cause of any of the attitude problems(?) that I occasionally hear about from the Sabres. Don't know that he would be the best choice for a 4th line. For better or worse, he's a skilled player. 3rd line, maybe, and #2 PP? Wild kept using him on the PP point, which drove me insane, but I can see him on the half wall.

He usually manages to stay healthy.

You don't want to be paying him 5M/yr., but if you can get him for about 1M, then sure. At this point, either Sabres or MTL would be the only teams he would likely play for.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bizarre.........but MB is a clown.

Build through the draft he says...go with youth and speed he says.............

So, it's to please the media in the hockey mad city??

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Bizarre.........but MB is a clown.

Build through the draft he says...go with youth and speed he says.............

So, it's to please the media in the hockey mad city??
You guys have the cap there's no harm it providing some competition in camp. If your young players can't push poms out in training camp they aren't ready.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Five years or more ago ? Could have been interesting

Now ? Meh

Salaries aside , (Briere signed for 2y/4m. I doubt it would be thatg much for Pominville) this has Daniel Briere Part 2 written all over it

Briere at 1m at that time would have been a good move

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Montreal doesn’t need depth, wingers or a veteran presence so this makes zero sense in hockey terms. It is MB though

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Montreal doesn’t need depth, wingers or a veteran presence so this makes zero sense in hockey terms. It is MB though
Why don’t we need a veteran presence?

Tatar-Domi-Byron
Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Three of Cousins, Thompson, Poehling, Weal, Suzuki

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen

That is a whole lot of youth right there, and unless they blow up at camp, I don’t see Suzuki (Poehling to a lesser extent) not spending SOME time in Laval. Aside from Weber, Petry and Thompson, there aren’t many vets there. Adding one, even if he becomes a 13th forward, does no harm for the room. We’re not contenders. He’s not going to steal a spot from anyone unless he earns it. He’ll be a good presence in the room for a really young team.

I’m not a big Bergevin fan but this is just overreaction.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Why don’t we need a veteran presence?

Tatar-Domi-Byron
Drouin-Danault-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Three of Cousins, Thompson, Poehling, Weal, Suzuki

Mete-Weber
Chiarot-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen

That is a whole lot of youth right there, and unless they blow up at camp, I don’t see Suzuki (Poehling to a lesser extent) not spending SOME time in Laval. Aside from Weber, Petry and Thompson, there aren’t many vets there. Adding one, even if he becomes a 13th forward, does no harm for the room. We’re not contenders. He’s not going to steal a spot from anyone unless he earns it. He’ll be a good presence in the room for a really young team.

I’m not a big Bergevin fan but this is just overreaction.

Vet doesn't mean 30+, it more experience-based. Gallagher, Tatar and Byron are definitely Vets on the Habs too and other guys get referred to as Vets as well.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Vet doesn't mean 30+, it more experience-based. Gallagher, Tatar and Byron are definitely Vets on the Habs too and other guys get referred to as Vets as well.
I understand that, but even those vets are relatively young. The main point is that a veteran in their mid-to-late 30s creating competition at camp and probably ending up as a 4th/13th forward guy for the room does no harm.

It’s not like we’re dying for centres anymore like people stuck in 2014 earlier in the thread think. Our biggest need is at LHD, and some more wing depth doesn’t help (although a big time winger would also be something I consider a “need”).

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I understand that, but even those vets are relatively young. The main point is that a veteran in their mid-to-late 30s creating competition at camp and probably ending up as a 4th/13th forward guy for the room does no harm.

It’s not like we’re dying for centres anymore like people stuck in 2014 earlier in the thread think. Our biggest need is at LHD, and some more wing depth doesn’t help (although a big time winger would also be something I consider a “need”).

Oh I agree, I just think that most teams tend only have 1-3 30+ vets (if that) on their team.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Last two seasons, by goals

Brendan Gallagher 33 + 31 = 64
Tomas Tatar 25 + 20 = 45
Max Domi 28 + 9 = 37
Paul Byron 15 + 20 = 35
* Max Pacioretty 17 + 22 = 39
* Alex Galchenyuk 19 + 19 = 38
Jason Pominville 16 + 16 = 32
Jonathan Drouin 18 + 13 = 31
* Andrew Shaw 19 + 10 = 29
Artturi Lehkonen 11 + 12 = 23
Phillip Danault 12 + 8 = 20

The overreaction is quite something

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
He’s not what he used to be, but used in the right role he can still be productive. 16 goals would have been 6th on the Habs and if he can’t be that player anymore just use him as a spare.

Reactions: uncleben

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...To be honest, Pominville would probably be worth a PTO and be a good safety gap to injuries occur.

Is he still a good PP player?

Reactions: uncleben

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I'm all in for a veteran presence for the younger forwards, and Pominville was a very good winger for years. I'd personally be interested in a 1-year of Patrick Marleau who had a similar production last season but a better track record of being an offensive threat and experience playing with a superstar in Joe Thornton for years.

If we have a Poehling/Suzuki coming up sometimes during the season I'd love to have an elite talent showing them the ropes. Gallagher is an amazing worker but he lacks the "raw" talent these guys have

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
...To be honest, Pominville would probably be worth a PTO and be a good safety gap to injuries occur.

Is he still a good PP player?

Second unit, he can still get in position to shoot and distribute to the open man. He's slowed markedly though and he's a great case of how metrics look great and yet he is a situational player - with uptempo, skating centers like Eichel and before that Haula, he had the time to get up the ice and knew where to go to be effective as a shooting/passing option. But away from speed players who both handle the breakout and the entry, he is constantly caught in between on plays.

He has also had short-ish stints of good play to start the last two seasons and then disappeared in terms of production for 40 or more games. He's fresh early, so in a depth role he might be someone who can work in but not every single night. If he can be kept fresh, maybe he will be more productive in terms of points/60.

If he didn't have his family, the choices would probably be wider. He's indicated it is either Buffalo (where the wife and kids are ensconced) or Montreal (where his family is). Honestly, I've wondered what he could do on McDavid's RW for a couple of years now -- let Connor do what he does, Poms does what he can still do, but that doesn't seem like a working option for his family to handle.

Reactions: MXD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad