Post-Game Talk: Habs come back to beat Sens, 8pts ahead of Cgy, 2 back of Wpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
If there's any silver lining to the injuries and condensed schedule its that the Habs should be rested come playoffs since there's a few games to be played after our schedule is done. If the team can hold the fort while Weber, Price, Tatar, Gally and Byron are out, that would be very ideal. Especially since it means giving our young guys more playing time.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Not sure if continuing to win is a good thing as it could mean having to face McDavid in god mode

If we're going to make the playoffs, which is almost certain, we want to continue winning. It won't matter who we face if we get into the playoffs without momentum, just keep winning and let the chips fall where they may.

Personally, I'd like to face the Leafs, I think the intensity is going to be insane.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
History suggests that its better to face the team with the best superstar and less depth than the team with superstars of their own with more depth.

Gretzky never won the cup without his hall of fame cast in Edmonton. Likewise, Mario never came close to a cup until he started getting guys like jagr, and Francis around him.

I'll take my chances with the oilers rather than the leafs if I had the choice.
Not me. Mike SMith is playing lights out. I've seen him in the playoffs with the Yotes and it was one of the best I've ever seen.
I'll take the Leafs and their goaltending any day.

RandR

May 15, 2011
Not me. Mike SMith is playing lights out. I've seen him in the playoffs with the Yotes and it was one of the best I've ever seen.
I'll take the Leafs and their goaltending any day.
If any team doesn’t get good goaltending then they aren’t likely to win, and I agree that the Leafs are more vulnerable there than the Oilers. Of course, for the Habs to beat either the Leafs or Oilers they also need good goaltending, so they need Price to play and to play well.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
If any team doesn’t get good goaltending then they aren’t likely to win, and I agree that the Leafs are more vulnerable there than the Oilers. Of course, for the Habs to beat either the Leafs or Oilers they also need good goaltending, so they need Price to play and to play well.
You mean Allen.

RandR

May 15, 2011
You mean Allen.
Feel free to differ, but I don’t think Allen is a number one goalie who can win a 7 game series, especially if they are the underdog. Price has, and I believe he still can, assuming he comes back from his concussion in time.

Allen has been a good backup though; this team would not be in a playoff position without him. I really hope they don’t lose him in the expansion draft.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Feel free to differ, but I don’t think Allen is a number one goalie who can win a 7 game series, especially if they are the underdog. Price has, and I believe he still can, assuming he comes back from his concussion in time.

Allen has been a good backup though; this team would not be in a playoff position without him. I really hope they don’t lose him in the expansion draft.
I actually thought Allen would play better with Price out. Kind of disappointed in him. That being said I think Price is washed up. People just assume you can hit a switch and play well. With everything that has happened this year Price has not had much of a good run at all, unlike last year where he had some stretches at least before playing well in the bubble.

Every player has a story attached to him. With Allen it's the same thing. People attach the second string label on him. But over the past couple of years his numbers are much better than price. If given the chance I think he will prove them wrong in the playoffs.

Reactions: Pat Riot

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I actually thought Allen would play better with Price out. Kind of disappointed in him. That being said I think Price is washed up. People just assume you can hit a switch and play well. With everything that has happened this year Price has not had much of a good run at all, unlike last year where he had some stretches at least before playing well in the bubble.

Every player has a story attached to him. With Allen it's the same thing. People attach the second string label on him. But over the past couple of years his numbers are much better than price. If given the chance I think he will prove them wrong in the playoffs.
Jake Allen's numbers are great when he's been a backup and behind great defensive teams. It's a hell of a lot easier to maintain those numbers when you play well rested and against weaker teams.

He's actually played well despite the rough numbers. And those numbers are rough because the team in front of him has sucked defensively. It's something that should've been painfully obvious over the years. Playing behind St Louis is a world away from playing behind Montreal. And playing backup is completely different from being the starter.

Reactions: Pickles and zeeto

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Yes ...when he’s used purely in a backup capacity and well rested. As I’ve been saying his career performance trend shows a steep drop off once used in more than 30GP

Reactions: aresknights

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

I've heard/read a few times that when Allen plays regularly his #s slide. He is seemingly a perfect fit for a BUG who can step in and up at times but not consistently enough over a long stretch (like PO series) Someone here maybe has the #s Feel free to correct me of wrong.
I hope we have both him and Price rested and ready to go.
Bottom line is this team needs to find ways to put 3 in a game against the North div. PO teams or we are done. So much high end talent on other teams we will face.

Edit- Salbutera TY

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I've heard/read a few times that when Allen plays regularly his #s slide. He is seemingly a perfect fit for a BUG who can step in and up at times but not consistently enough over a long stretch (like PO series) Someone here maybe has the #s Feel free to correct me of wrong.
I hope we have both him and Price rested and ready to go.
Bottom line is this team needs to find ways to put 3 in a game against the North div. PO teams or we are done. So much high end talent on other teams we will face.

Edit- Salbutera TY
I understand. but it's time Allen wrote a different chapter to his book.
People label players a certain way and it's up to the player to get past the label. It can be done.

Last year Allen in the playoffs. GAA 1.89 and SP .935

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I understand. but it's time Allen wrote a different chapter to his book.
People label players a certain way and it's up to the player to get past the label. It can be done.
Allen turns 31 in a couple of months, he’s 3-years younger than Price....he won’t be writing any “different chapter to his book”. He was handed the starting job in STL and they kept giving him chances faltering year after faltering year...until they finally had it and went with a no name, no pedigree journeyman in Binnington, having had enough of Allen’s struggles with load management

What it is...is what it is.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Oh you predict the future. Thanks.
The past tends to provide a sneak peak into the future.

Last 25GP in playoffs Price’s .936 sv pct is the best amongst active goalies who’ve played 15GP+, significantly higher and more consistent than even Vasilevsky who needed last years .920 to bring his sv pct to respectable numbers

If Price is healthy for the playoffs (which I full expect), he’ll be dominant... the question as always, will he receive any offensive support?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The past tends to provide a sneak peak into the future.

Last 25GP in playoffs Price’s .936 sv pct is the best amongst active goalies who’ve played 15GP+, significantly higher and more consistent than even Vasilevsky who needed last years .920 to bring his sv pct to respectable numbers

If Price is healthy for the playoffs (which I full expect), he’ll be dominant... the question as always, will he receive any offensive support?

This year's team is the best shot at giving him offensive support, unfortunately. Caufield's help is the x factor.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Jake Allen's numbers are great when he's been a backup and behind great defensive teams. It's a hell of a lot easier to maintain those numbers when you play well rested and against weaker teams.

He's actually played well despite the rough numbers. And those numbers are rough because the team in front of him has sucked defensively. It's something that should've been painfully obvious over the years. Playing behind St Louis is a world away from playing behind Montreal. And playing backup is completely different from being the starter.

Two goalies in front of the same defense:

Jake Allen is 11th in saves over expected. SP .911

Carey Price 24th in saves over percentage and SP .901

I dont have great confidence in either but I'll take Allen in the playoffs right now. Price is very questionable with his concussion and other injuries.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I dont have great confidence in either but I'll take Allen in the playoffs right now. Price is very questionable with his concussion and other injuries.
Jake Allen is .896 since taking over the starter's role. And his numbers have been getting worse, not better.

We get it. You hate Carey Price. But there's no way on God's green earth that we're better off with Jake Allen here. Price's puckhandling skills alone make him the better goalie.

The only variable here is Price's health.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Jake Allen is .896 since taking over the starter's role. And his numbers have been getting worse, not better.

We get it. You hate Carey Price. But there's no way on God's green earth that we're better off with Jake Allen here. Price's puckhandling skills alone make him the better goalie.

The only variable here is Price's health.
I don't even know the man. Bizarre statement from a guy who chastises others for being overly personal.

This is the "hate" I have :
Should we be as certain as the players are about Price’s deity status? Over the past three seasons, 77 goalies have logged 1,000-plus minutes at 5-on-5. Among that group, Price ranks 39th in save percentage; 41st in goals saved above average per 60 minutes; 54th in high-danger SP; 53rd in medium-danger SP; and 32nd in low-danger SP. Diving down to the deepest part of the analytics ocean reveals metrics such as shot location that indicate Price was actually quite good in 2018-19, but if you look at the larger three-year sample, the stats would suggest he barely grades out as a league-average goalie despite the NHLPA picking him as the world’s No. 1 every time.

Reactions: Magic Stick

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I think the dman got into a no win situation infront of the net. Of course, the worst thing he could do is bail, but this was a net front battle where he didn't have leverage, and that got the goalie involved.

Had the dman established himself behind Perry, and we saw Perry back in, I'd say no goal, but in this case, it was the dman fronting Perry.

Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree as I think the dman played that perfectly reasonably. I also don't know why you say the dman didn't have leverage. The dman had the more established position and was more in-control of his body throughout the play. I really don't see how whether or not he was fronting or playing behind Perry has anything to do with it.

I posted this still earlier (and I know it is just a still), but it is pretty clear who has leverage and is in control of his body and who does not.

To make a basketball analogy, this is like the dman boxing out and Perry going over the back.

Reactions: JianYang

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012

I invite you to look at Price’s regular season stats last year and then his play off numbers. Price does suck right now, no arguing that, but he has shown that he always elevates his game during big games. If he’s healthy, he’s the goalie you go with, no questions asked.

A hot Allen might win you a game we don’t deserve to win but a hot Price will win us a series we don’t deserve to win.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't even know the man. Bizarre statement from a guy who chastises others for being overly personal.
You go out of your way to rip him in threads that have nothing to do with him. Don't want to call it "hate"... call it what you will.

You're sitting here trying to argue that we'd be better off with Jake Allen. That alone tells us all you need to know here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->