Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I’m hoping for once everyone gets healthy

Toffoli-Suzuki-Armia
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
KK-Evans-Anderson
CC-Staal-Perry
As I saw Staal and Perry cycling together last night, I thought to myself how CC would greatly benefit from that. I think that's something I'd like to see Ducharme try.

Ultimately, I think CCs centerman will be one of Suzuki or Poehling down the road.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Did you look at the events leading up to how he got there?

If you're suggesting that the defenseman pushed him in, I disagree. Perry tried to establish position in front of the goalie - it was his path that led to the interference. The defenseman just maintained his position to box him out. The video (at 5:39) shows this clearly.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Id like to be hopeful Armia can sustain his play the truth is its very unlikely.

The same issues plagued him in Winnipeg as in MTL.

We have seen this before about 10 times. Play 3 or 4 good games and disappear for 15.

Consistency in general is an issue for MTL players hence musical chairs every 5 games

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
If you're suggesting that the defenseman pushed him in, I disagree. Perry tried to establish position in front of the goalie - it was his path that led to the interference. The defenseman just maintained his position to box him out. The video (at 5:39) shows this clearly.

The lane got choked off because the dman was skating towards the goalie at the same time that Perry was trying to establish his position. That battle for positioning (which initiated outside of the crease) was the driver for the contact at the top of the crease with the goalie.

Here's the thing, we can discuss what ought to be goalie interference, but more importantly than that, I'm talking about applying the consistent interpretation of the rule.

This was goalie interference last night but it doesn't mean it's goalie interference tommorow, and when the shoe is on the other foot, and all of a sudden, it counts, that's where the frustration stems from.

My interpretation is based on all of the reviews I've seen take place. I try to take a little bit out of each review to try and understand the application of the rule, but it's also difficult to apply because some decisions don't align with others.

Reactions: Rapala

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
The lane got choked off because the dman was skating towards the goalie at the same time that Perry was trying to establish his position. That battle for positioning (which initiated outside of the crease) was the driver for the contact at the top of the crease with the goalie.

Here's the thing, we can discuss what ought to be goalie interference, but more importantly than that, I'm talking about applying the consistent interpretation of the rule.

This was goalie interference last night but it doesn't mean it's goalie interference tommorow, and when the shoe is on the other foot, and all of a sudden, it counts, that's where the frustration stems from.

My interpretation is based on all of the reviews I've seen take place. I try to take a little bit out of each review to try and understand the application of the rule, but it's also difficult to apply because some decisions don't align with others.

I agree with the lack of consistency with goalie interference calls, but in this case I think it is pretty clear. Look at Perry's vector at the beginning of the clip (5:39). It is directly towards the goalie. The defenseman is just maintaining his established position. If a forward pinballs off a Dman into the goalie as a result of being boxed out, contact is the responsibility of the forward.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Armia is fairly good glue and he draws a lot of attention. Suzuki's style is sneaky.

Armia holds up the puck and the play extremely well in the Ozone. This allows both Suzuki and Toffoli to gain positioning which creates time and space. Both those guys are pretty lethal when they have it. The only knock would be their lack of pace getting up the ice but good passing can negate some of that. Frankly I’m surprised I hope it continues to work we need it badly.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I agree with the lack of consistency with goalie interference calls, but in this case I think it is pretty clear. Look at Perry's vector at the beginning of the clip (5:39). It is directly towards the goalie. The defenseman is just maintaining his established position. If a forward pinballs off a Dman into the goalie as a result of being boxed out, contact is the responsibility of the forward.
The one thing of note there............Perry was not in the paint. Close call either way.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The sad truth is that goal is disallowed only about 20% of the time based on the coincidental contact we’ve discussed. How the heck is a fan supposed to make and live with an educated decision when the league can’t.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I think where we differ is on the dman. It looks to me like the dman is still backing in towards the goalie during this time, so it clouds the idea that the dman was laying claim to his established position.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
I think where we differ is on the dman. It looks to me like the dman is still backing in towards the goalie during this time, so it clouds the idea that the dman was laying claim to his established position.

I agree that that is where we differ.

The dman has every right to that position. Perry is trying to squeeze his way between the dman and the goalie and makes contact with the goalie. There are definitely cases where the dman plays a more active role in pushing the forward into the goalie, but this is not one of those times. In your opinion should the dman just get out of the way and allow Perry the path to the front of the net?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Armia holds up the puck and the play extremely well in the Ozone. This allows both Suzuki and Toffoli to gain positioning which creates time and space. Both those guys are pretty lethal when they have it. The only knock would be their lack of pace getting up the ice but good passing can negate some of that. Frankly I’m surprised I hope it continues to work we need it badly.

This team cannot breakout with speed for various reasons, and what that means is an increased reliance on extended offensive zone time for offense. Now, this is something that the team struggles with as well, and thats why we see them struggle so much for goals, especially when the PP goes through dry spells.

Armia is one guy though that is very capable of extending zone time with his stick handling, and size, so he actually is a key player.

He can be frustrating because he does dissapear, but you just don't have any choice except to hope that he doesn't.

Maybe this covid restart schedule has drained the habs so much that it doesn't allow them to establish that extended zone time. Maybe that break before the playoffs will help them out in that sense, but Armia can play that game no matter how much fatigue sets in.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I agree that that is where we differ.

The dman has every right to that position. Perry is trying to squeeze his way between the dman and the goalie and makes contact with the goalie. There are definitely cases where the dman plays a more active role in pushing the forward into the goalie, but this is not one of those times. In your opinion should the dman just get out of the way and allow Perry the path to the front of the net?

I think the dman got into a no win situation infront of the net. Of course, the worst thing he could do is bail, but this was a net front battle where he didn't have leverage, and that got the goalie involved.

Had the dman established himself behind Perry, and we saw Perry back in, I'd say no goal, but in this case, it was the dman fronting Perry.

Last edited:

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Not sure if continuing to win is a good thing as it could mean having to face McDavid in god mode

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Not sure if continuing to win is a good thing as it could mean having to face McDavid in god mode

McDavid in god mode or Matthews in god mode, either way leafs or oilers we'll be facing superstars, no way around it, but avoiding being the team that finally gets the leafs into the 2nd round is something im hoping for, I can handle facing the leafs in round 2 riding a tidal wave of confidence if we actually win in round 1

Theres no doubt McDavid will have a game or two of like 4 or 5 points or something, but i dont think, and this season helped show that, it doesnt look like McDavid can do that vs "us" for 4 wins out of 7

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

History suggests that its better to face the team with the best superstar and less depth than the team with superstars of their own with more depth.

Gretzky never won the cup without his hall of fame cast in Edmonton. Likewise, Mario never came close to a cup until he started getting guys like jagr, and Francis around him.

I'll take my chances with the oilers rather than the leafs if I had the choice.

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
This team cannot breakout with speed for various reasons, and what that means is an increased reliance on extended offensive zone time for offense. Now, this is something that the team struggles with as well, and thats why we see them struggle so much for goals, especially when the PP goes through dry spells.

Armia is one guy though that is very capable of extending zone time with his stick handling, and size, so he actually is a key player.

He can be frustrating because he does dissapear, but you just don't have any choice except to hope that he doesn't.

Maybe this covid restart schedule has drained the habs so much that it doesn't allow them to establish that extended zone time. Maybe that break before the playoffs will help them out in that sense, but Armia can play that game no matter how much fatigue sets in.

The team has issues because it's simply not talented enough. Suzuki/KK are not ready to be that 1-2 punch down the middle, still relying too much on Danault, and we have very little support from our dman as they all are mediocre at best with the puck save for Petry. Romanov has good potential, just still needs some time.

Armia is a good depth player, he's not going to be consistent in the offensive zone. The best we can hope for is he'll be able to do it during the POs.

Reactions: dnl4ever
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->