GDT: Habs @ Caps - 10.9.2014 7 PM - CSN

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Show me one example of me misusing stats.

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Despite the SO loss, I saw things I loved from the game. The team sticking up for each other immediately impressed me. Carlson was in quite a few guys faces. This tells me Trotz is sending a clear message to players about a team effort and keeping things simple. I actually believe he is the guy that can teach this team to play a full 60 minutes like they played in the first period. I realize this was the home opener against a team who played the night before, however I saw things I didn't see the past few seasons. Meanwhile, I'll get another drink of koolaid.

Go Caps!

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
3. Chara drinking Coke on the bench is not good leadership and you know that. Orpik point out the value of nutrition to young teammate is good leadership. I am sure that Chara is a good leader in many ways that more than makes up for the coke on the bench.

Are you seriously slamming Orpik for that?

Are you serious with that?

Drinking or telling someone not to drink soda has absolutely nothing to do with leadership.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Drinking or telling someone not to drink soda has absolutely nothing to do with leadership.

this shouldn't be news to you, but in case it is. nutrition and taking proper care of yourself, is part of being a professional athlete. not being able to eat right is a sure way to degrade your game. certainly a way to not optimize your game.

one coke like one milk shake like one cigarette isn't probably an issue. I doubt very seriously that professional athletes known for how well they took care of themselves drank regular sodas.

do you honestly think that a veteran schooling young players on proper nutrition is not a good thing?

btw...yes, I am serious about that. I nearly died of a viral congestive heart failure. my nutrition was a step toward trying to recover from that. today I am a professional race car driver. because of the heart thing the doctors are very careful about my health. I get something similar to the caps opening of training camp fitness tests before I am allowed to race and I get rigorous nutrition guidelines. full octane coke is not on my approved intake list.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
this shouldn't be news to you, but in case it is. nutrition and taking proper care of yourself, is part of being a professional athlete. not being able to eat right is a sure way to degrade your game. certainly a way to not optimize your game.

one coke like one milk shake like one cigarette isn't probably an issue. I doubt very seriously that professional athletes known for how well they took care of themselves drank regular sodas.

do you honestly think that a veteran schooling young players on proper nutrition is not a good thing?

Thanks for the nutritional lesson.

Never bashed him, just saying it has nothing to do with leadership. From a guy who admitted to binging on Wendy's and changed to a strict diet just to prolong his career, this is hypocritical no?

You really think Chara is leaving a bad impression with his teammates by drinking a coke? That it's poor leadership? I'm sure players care far more about the pointers he gives on ice, how he stands up for teammates, or how he conducts himself with the media. Doubt telling them not drink a Coke has much bearing on how they view his leadership.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Taking the initiative and saying something to someone who's doing something wrong or questionable is practically the definition of leadership. And in terms of professional sports, a veteran helping rookies to keep from making the same mistakes is not only leadership but mentoring.

I'm surprised any Caps fan would ***** about finally getting someone willing to do this.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
"As i said to our guys, I said, 'There's going to be games where we'll play really well and we'll lose. And there will be games where we don't play very well and we're going to win,'" Trotz said. "And that one was more on the 'we played pretty well and lost the game' [variety], a team survived and survived our onslaught.

"You've got to be comfortable when it's uncomfortable. I thought we were pretty comfortable. If we did that 10 times in a row, that situation, I bet you we get it 10 times in a row."

Well Trotz loved how they played last night.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Vs you and g00n declaring every Capitals game win or loss bad because your eye test is accurate.

It's not everyone else's fault 90% of your observations are laughably wrong and dripping with confirmation bias. I suppose this may be what causes you to lean so heavily on oversimplified/misused statistics. You have no idea what you're looking at.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Taking the initiative and saying something to someone who's doing something wrong or questionable is practically the definition of leadership. And in terms of professional sports, a veteran helping rookies to keep from making the same mistakes is not only leadership but mentoring.

I'm surprised any Caps fan would ***** about finally getting someone willing to do this.

Not *****ing, I applaud him, but that alone doesn't make him a leader. By the same token, drinking a soda doesn't take away from your leadership.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not *****ing, I applaud him, but that alone doesn't make him a leader. By the same token, drinking a soda doesn't take away from your leadership.

that alone? seems like you want to fight about it. something given as an example is not give as to be taken as the only available example. just the one seen today.

drinking a soda does take from away your leadership and if that alone was your leading by example you would fail. as its not that alone and might be a minor bad habit among many quality attributes, it can be washed away by the good.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Considering the insane amount of calories these guys burn every day I don't think anyone's going to bat an eye at the 180 calorie can of coke someone drinks on the bench

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Not IMO. I don't use them as an evaluator of that game. I use them as an indicator for the future.

No you don't. If my team has a corsi around 35% I know they had a **** ****ing game. Not that hard.

This is a completely different situation. I can definitely evaluate one game if my team is playing at a 35% corsi. It means that they played a ****ing awful game. Of course I'm not gonna say Ovechkin is going to continue to average a 9+ differential every single game for the rest of year.

Also wasn't just singling you out.

Show me one example of me misusing stats.

I have less problem with using them as an evaluator of a past performance rather than any indication of future events. Descriptive Statistics should not be used to infer anything about a population of future events especially in small sample sizes that aren't representative of the population of future events.

Burakovsky95*

I have less problem with using them as an evaluator of a past performance rather than any indication of future events. Descriptive Statistics should not be used to infer anything about a population of future events especially in small sample sizes that aren't representative of the population of future events.

I'm gonna admit I'm wrong with using such a small sample size lol. Got excited, new season and all. However, if your team is consistently winning the corsi battle but still getting bad results you can almost say that the team is trending towards eventually putting together a string of Ws.

Also thanks for actually providing me with an actual response unlike others.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm gonna admit I'm wrong with using such a small sample size lol. Got excited, new season and all. However, if your team is consistently winning the corsi battle but still getting bad results you can almost say that the team is trending towards eventually putting together a string of Ws.

Also thanks for actually providing me with an actual response unlike others.

Practically everything you've said about stats has been wrong. We didn't need to quote your every post on the topic. Don't act like you haven't gotten any information or feedback. I showed you the analytics discussion thread and gave you some overview items as to why some of the things you've said are not true. You just haven't been paying attention to what "others" have been saying.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
that alone? seems like you want to fight about it. something given as an example is not give as to be taken as the only available example. just the one seen today.

drinking a soda does take from away your leadership and if that alone was your leading by example you would fail. as its not that alone and might be a minor bad habit among many quality attributes, it can be washed away by the good.

Fight about it? Lol what? Someone used the soda example and said zomg leadership I just disputed that saying that alone doesn't make you a leader.

Sorry your view is just absurd. Drinking a soda doesn't make you any less of a leader. I mean wow, how can you believe that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad