GDT: Habs @ Caps - 10.9.2014 7 PM - CSN

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Here you go Strung

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt · 24m
Trotz said we shouldn't expect to see Wilson next week, definitely not over the next 2 games. Said Latta might move into the lineup vs. BOS.

As for Kuz.
Hopefully he works his way up sooner rather than later. I much prefer Chimera - Kuznetsov - Ward, Laich - Latta - Brown to Chimera - Laich - Ward, O'Brien - Kuznetsov - Brown. Add Wilson and you can ice Laich - Latta - Wilson as an actual meaningful fourth line.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt · 1m
Trotz was pleased with Kuznetsov last night. Only 11 shifts but "if he keeps going the way he is, he’ll be taking up a lot of ice time."

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
On the fence about Wilson. Yeah would have liked to have seen him in the line up last night with the antics of Prust and Moen, but in the long run when he returns I think he's better served getting more ice time in Hershey.

After the debacle with the Forsberg trade, believe MAKFI was hell bent on keeping Wilson with the club last season no matter what. Don't think that the fourth line minutes served him that well last season. With the current load of RWs (Fehr, Brouwer, Ward and Brown), Wilson can get valuable ice time in Hershey when he returns and can be a quick call up when one of those RWs gets dinged. Still believe that Ward will be the eventual odd man out due to his age and this being the last year of his contract. Just can't imagine Ward repeating his performance from last season, but still I believe that he could still fetch a second rounder and perhaps even a prospect around TDL just because of his past playoff performance/experience.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The best way for Kuz to get more ice time is to play better in practice and whatever time he gets in games. I don't think Barry Trotz is going to bench a guy who can help him win just to piss off a few fans griping on the internet.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
We're not going to trade Ward at the deadline unless we are well out of the playoff picture. We got him specifically FOR the playoffs.

We need Wilson's presence in the lineup. Ovechkin and Backstrom aren't getting younger. We got Orpik to win now (and I think we all caught a good glimpse as to why last night).

Wilson is an undisputable upgrade over the kid Obrien.

Here you go Strung

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt · 24m
Trotz said we shouldn't expect to see Wilson next week, definitely not over the next 2 games. Said Latta might move into the lineup vs. BOS.

As for Kuz.

Alex Prewitt ‏@alex_prewitt · 1m
Trotz was pleased with Kuznetsov last night. Only 11 shifts but "if he keeps going the way he is, he’ll be taking up a lot of ice time."

Latta/Kuznetsov/Wilson sounds pretty darn good.

Kuznetsov was good last night. So were MJ and Burakovsky..the two guys ahead of him in the possible slots he can fill.

He looks real good with Burakovsky on the PP and looked dangerous in OT. We have a real deep team across the board this year.

Good problems to have.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Kuznetsov was good last night. So were MJ and Burakovsky..the two guys ahead of him in the possible slots he can fill.

Kuz could also be the 3C, especially after Laich gets injured.

Hey are you doing some beer/BBQ thing? I got an invite on Facebook.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Montreal is great at selling calls. Any Bs fan can tell you that.

Typical NHL fashion the refs are always looking for a way to even things up after we had the first few PPs of the game.

There were some highly suspicious "pity/even up" calls made last night. I didn't see why Obrien situation led to us being short handed. Him and Prush dropped the gloves at the exact same time. I think they gave OBrien a "charging"(???) penalty?? If so that made no sense.

The Ovie "slash" was Plekanec at his finest. Toward the end of the 2nd Montreal clearly was stirring stuff up. Prust hit Orpik WAY after the whistle and then one of their guys repeatedly punched Carlson in the face with gloves on and then took his gloves off.

Now we ended up with a PP but it easily should have been a 5 on 3 there.

Its SOP for NHL refs. Always call penalties on the team thats leading or had more PPs earlier in the game. I don't believe it to be a discipline issue. At least not last night.

I didn't see anything I thought was a bad call. Tacky, maybe, but those are the kinds of little things you can't do, simply because they might be called and don't actually get you anything. The scrums, standing up for each other, etc., I'm all for. The little crap slashes on the way to the bench will hurt you.

We're not going to trade Ward at the deadline unless we are well out of the playoff picture. We got him specifically FOR the playoffs.

We need Wilson's presence in the lineup. Ovechkin and Backstrom aren't getting younger. We got Orpik to win now (and I think we all caught a good glimpse as to why last night).

Wilson is an undisputable upgrade over the kid Obrien.

Latta/Kuznetsov/Wilson sounds pretty darn good.

He looks real good with Burakovsky on the PP and looked dangerous in OT. We have a real deep team across the board this year.

Good problems to have.

I agree, though I don't see Latta going on the left. I think that spot will be occupied full time by Chris Brown or maybe Kuznetsov should they decide to slide him to the wing for a game or so. But having the luxury of three of Kuznetsov, Laich, Brown, Wilson, and Latta as your fourth line is pretty nice. Either Kuznetsov or Laich can fill the 3C spot as well. That means (when everyone is healthy) a quality player isn't in the lineup most nights. I see that as a good thing, because especially in the bottom six in this Trotz system, guys are going to need days off. At full health, that lets Trotz rest a bottom six player every game. Keep 'em all up and let Volpatti be the permanent bench warmer.

And that fourth line with three of Kuznetsov, Laich, Brown, Wilson, and Latta will get minutes, which will let the top lines play at higher tempo. The effects go through the entire lineup.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Re: Orpik and being a veteran leader, showing the young guys how to do things, in Vogel's blog update, he quotes MacLellan saying he found "[young Caps player] the other day, he is having a can of Coke in the room. And Orpik comes in and he goes, "What the [expletive] are you doing? You can't be doing that. You know what's in that?""

Already teaching the kids how to be pros off the ice. I wonder if anybody taught the core players.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It's probably been mentioned but if we score on just one of those PPs I think we see a lot more of the 4th line.

Halpysback*

Good fn Lord, Halpy. I said last night he backed up the reasons tabled by the decision makers.

Boychuk is not the identity maker that Orpik is. He isn't the leader that Oprik is. These are major factors in why the team wanted that particular player. If he keeps playing like he did last night and the team continues to follow his lead in forging an identity, he will be doing what the team said they wanted him for.

Also....I doubt seriously the Caps plan on a center lineup of Backs, Bura, Kuz and Latta/Beagle. I am pretty sure they would have Laich in the 3 hole.

I see no reason why the Caps couldn't contend in the playoffs with Backstrom, Burakovsky being an impact player, Laich being healthy and back on his game and any of the 4th line centers. If Bura is going to be an impact level player, 19 and 65 as the 1 and 2c can win.

and yes, given that I would rather have Bura than say....Grabovski

Last night they shot their load in the first period and still lost. You don't know how much of that "identity" is Orpik and how much is just them having a non-mentally defective coach for the first time in 2 years.

Why do you think the Islanders got Boychuk? Because they also need character, perhaps? And they got it without having to sign him to a ridiculous contract until he's 39? And their character has been a much better player over the last 3 years, especially in the POs, is in his prime, and has a better offensive game?

I don't see what Orpik brings character wise that is so much better than say Boychuk or Willie Mitchell, who just came off of two cups in 3 years playing a physical top 4 veteran role next to a rookie and was signed to a reasonable contract (and named captain).

Bura + Grabo was not an either or situation as this roster still lacks a dangerous 3C and a dangerous 2LW.

Laich in the 3 hole managed to kill Chimera and Ward at ES.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
1. Not going to trade Ward. Trotz loves the guy. I'd as soon let him walk for nothing than trade him for a 2nd round pick, which is usually nothing.

2. Yes, scoring on one of those pp's would have been the difference. If keepin 8 on the ice for 1:50 of those pp's means a goal and a win, then would rather cut Ov's pp toi or win?

3. Chara drinking Coke on the bench is not good leadership and you know that. Orpik point out the value of nutrition to young teammate is good leadership. I am sure that Chara is a good leader in many ways that more than makes up for the coke on the bench.

Are you seriously slamming Orpik for that?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't see what Orpik brings character wise that is so much better than say Boychuk or Willie Mitchell, who just came off of two cups in 3 years playing a physical top 4 veteran role next to a rookie and was signed to a reasonable contract (and named captain).

Bura + Grabo was not an either or situation as this roster still lacks a dangerous 3C and a dangerous 2LW.

Laich in the 3 hole managed to kill Chimera and Ward at ES.

No point having this discussion then. You have your position and are not going to be changing it.

I disagree with you on several levels. Johansson was great last night and created some quality offense. Laich was no more killed Chimera and Ward than Backstrom killed 8 and 16. They scored one goal last night.

Burakovsky95*

It's not a matter of opinion. It's the nature of the field of statistics. You need a sufficiently large sample for them to have any utility.

No you don't. If my team has a corsi around 35% I know they had a **** ****ing game. Not that hard.

Burakovsky95*

Which is even more flawed.

Listen, you don't have to even comment on my posts. Block me or whatever. I don't understand the negative stigma for analytics on this board. Do you all think sabermetrics in baseball is incredibly flawed as well?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wait, did someone just accuse me of hating statistics? :biglaugh:

@Bura95, one game samples carry essentially no predictive value. Use your own baseball/sabremetrics analogy as a proof of that. A single game BABIP or wRC+ measurement is completely useless.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Re: Orpik and being a veteran leader, showing the young guys how to do things, in Vogel's blog update, he quotes MacLellan saying he found "[young Caps player] the other day, he is having a can of Coke in the room. And Orpik comes in and he goes, "What the [expletive] are you doing? You can't be doing that. You know what's in that?""

Already teaching the kids how to be pros off the ice. I wonder if anybody taught the core players.

I vaguely recall some comments from Zubrus about Ovi eating crap and needing to learn better habits.

Burakovsky95*

Wait, did someone just accuse me of hating statistics? :biglaugh:

@Bura95, one game samples carry essentially no predictive value. Use your own baseball/sabremetrics analogy as a proof of that. A single game BABIP or wRC+ measurement is completely useless.

This is a completely different situation. I can definitely evaluate one game if my team is playing at a 35% corsi. It means that they played a ****ing awful game. Of course I'm not gonna say Ovechkin is going to continue to average a 9+ differential every single game for the rest of year.

Also wasn't just singling you out.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Listen, you don't have to even comment on my posts. Block me or whatever. I don't understand the negative stigma for analytics on this board. Do you all think Sabremetrics in baseball is incredibly flawed as well?

There's a difference between stat use and stat abuse. And the response to every challenge should not be "block me if you don't like it". If you can't live with other people disagreeing with you then maybe discussion forums are not the best thing for you?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Dude, you really need to read up on repeatability and sample sizes. Perhaps take a statistics class or two. The way you're using these stats is not useful, nor is it representative of their actual value or why they're used in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->