Pre-Game Talk: Habs @ Bluejackets - Tuesday at 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I found it. Do you speak french? Click on the interview and it's at about the 3 minute mark. However, it's more, after Bergevin says how important the two upcoming 2nd round picks he has, the host asking Bergevin if he had a chance to do a deal like the Petry deal again would he do it, where he thinks he has a good chance to re-sign the player. Bergevin says yes, in that case he would look at a deal like that closely.

Alexander Romanov: «Je m'attends à le voir dans un an et demi» - Marc Bergevin

When pressed, Bergevin says "je vais regarder ça de près" and "je ne gagerais pas là-dessus". Sounds like a mangled answer further to a loaded question by an interviewer who was being aggressive and Bergevin expressed several caveats before shutting the door on it. Didn't look to me that this was an option. It didn't have the clarity of his more assertive and clear statement when it comes to players with no term.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
When pressed, Bergevin says "je vais regarder ça de près" and "je ne gagerais pas là-dessus". Sounds like a mangled answer further to a loaded question by an interviewer who was being aggressive and Bergevin expressed several caveats before shutting the door on it. Didn't look to me that this was an option. It didn't have the clarity of his more assertive and clear statement when it comes to players with no term.
Honestly... who cares what MB says at this point? He's done nothing but lie in the press.

We'll see what he does at the deadline but there's nothing that he's going to say in the papers that are going to actually lead me to believe we're going to do/not do anything.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Weise won't need waivers since he was just recently called up.

If Byron is back, we will send Weise down and then call him up after the tdl

True enough, there is a window. I had forgotten about that.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I don't think he shut the door on it. It's an option on the table. But it was the radio host introducing the scenario and Bergevin responding to it, not Bergevin saying he's out looking for that. However, if he were out looking for that, he wouldn't come out and say it anyways.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If the habs lose this one and they're likely to lose the next one, things will look very bleak for the playoffs.

Either way, Carolina and Philly are making serious runs. It will be interesting to see where they are in 10 games.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think he shut the door on it. It's an option on the table. But it was the radio host introducing the scenario and Bergevin responding to it, not Bergevin saying he's out looking for that. However, if he were out looking for that, he wouldn't come out and say it anyways.

I think the words "je ne gagerais pas là-dessus" are pretty indicative that it's not an option.

We'll see what he'll do, maybe we'll both be wrong.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Kulak should be scratched. Let's see what Folins got.

With all these consecutive losses and Julien saying they're going to look for solutions, they can't possibly come back with the same lineup. There should be some shuffling and Folin is very likely to get a shot.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think the words "je ne gagerais pas là-dessus" are pretty indicative that it's not an option.

We'll see what he'll do, maybe we'll both be wrong.

I have a feeling Bergevin is always on the lookout for bargains. Which is good. I just don't know how he managed to miss out on Skinner this summer. To me that was a very low risk, almost no lose situation. It would be hard to imagine Skinner at least not fetching a 2nd at the TDL, and I predicted a 1st and a prospect. Now he's a 50 goal scorer ( I thought for sure 25 -35.) I think there are other undervalued wingers out there that, with the glut of forwards on the market, like Panarin, Stone, Duchene, Simmonds, Dzingle, Zuccarello, Hayes, Ferland, Nyquist, Coyle, Henrique, Silverberg, Perry, Staal, Johansson, Brassard, Carter, Kovalchuk, Skinner(?) etc... will be traded for well below their value. But I may be wrong. Once some teams start acquiring good wingers, other teams may follow suite in an arms race of sorts, and prices will go up.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Can't agree. Benn had to babysit him a lot. Kulak is terrible.

Kulak's got to get the puck in the zone on that Barkov go ahead goal. If that isn't something he can correct, then he is definitely terrible.

But Benn's similar giveaway rushing the puck up ice in Nashville has nothing to do with Kulak. That's all Benn.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I have a feeling Bergevin is always on the lookout for bargains. Which is good. I just don't know how he managed to miss out on Skinner this summer. To me that was a very low risk, almost no lose situation. It would be hard to imagine Skinner at least not fetching a 2nd at the TDL, and I predicted a 1st and a prospect. Now he's a 50 goal scorer ( I thought for sure 25 -35.) I think there are other undervalued wingers out there that, with the glut of forwards on the market, like Panarin, Stone, Duchene, Simmonds, Dzingle, Zuccarello, Hayes, Ferland, Nyquist, Coyle, Henrique, Silverberg, Perry, Staal, Johansson, Brassard, Carter, Kovalchuk, Skinner(?) etc... will be traded for well below their value. But I may be wrong. Once some teams start acquiring good wingers, other teams may follow suite in an arms race of sorts, and prices will go up.
I think he missed on Skinner as he did not believe his team would be as good as it turned out. And skinner is a free agent at the end of this year, thus he did not want another radulov style debacle.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Do you trade Benn at the TDL since hes UFA and habs should probably not resign him
We would get a 3rd at most and we are still in the playoff race. Can't see it happening.
Kulak's got to get the puck in the zone on that Barkov go ahead goal. If that isn't something he can correct, then he is definitely terrible.

But Benn's similar giveaway rushing the puck up ice in Nashville has nothing to do with Kulak. That's all Benn.
I think Benn has had a bit of a rough stretch lately. Kulak on the other hand has always been on a rough stretch besides his 2 good games with Weber.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

yesterday two goals also started with benn giveaways that placed his team in difficulty. After that Kulak had problems, but it started with benn

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think he missed on Skinner as he did not believe his team would be as good as it turned out. And skinner is a free agent at the end of this year, thus he did not want another radulov style debacle.

Even if Skinner wanted too much money to re-sign, I saw it most probably at least as trading a 2nd in the summer and getting a 1st for skinner at the TDL.

As it turned out, if Skinner wanted too much money/didn't want to re-sign with us, imagine what kind of left D we could get for skinner now, who's on pace for over 50 goals??? I don't want to hear that Hindsight is 20/20 because at the time it was a very probable easy win for us, with low downside and huge upside. That the upside was much higher than I thought doesn't preclude that it was a trade that was easy to predict as a win and thus was a no-brainer at the time.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I keep reading this and it continues to not be true. Price has played well all year. He simply had an AHL level D in front of him. The moment Weber came back his numbers improved.

What you are saying is revisionist history. Did you forget that stretch of play where Price himself admitted he didn't know what was wrong and maybe it was "upstairs"? And did you forget that he took time off to straighten out. And did you forget that Niemi the washout goalie played decently in front of that AHL level defence?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
What you are saying is revisionist history. Did you forget that stretch of play where Price himself admitted he didn't know what was wrong and maybe it was "upstairs"? And did you forget that he took time off to straighten out. And did you forget that Niemi the washout goalie played decently in front of that AHL level defence?
What is Price going to say? "My defense sucks."

His numbers went up immediately when Weber came back. That's not fluke. Price has played consistently well. It was a rotating cast of blueliners that were in and out of the lineup demoted/waived... it sucked. Not surprising at all that the numbers sunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad