Habs best first rounder from the last 12 years

Pick 1, if you can.

• Total voters

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Timmins good at finding defensemen in later rounds. But brutal identity offensive skill at forward. He's missed on too many. See his first round above?

I think Joel Bouchard has first round say since he came on board. Timmins has more say in later rounds.

No he doesn't. Took that from out of your ass? Timmins has last word at the draft since at least 2017.

Reactions: Tighthead

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
People need to realize "development" goes beyond "ice time and usage in the NHL". Skating coaches, shooting coaches, a good atmosphere, accountability, support, well-communicated feedback are all crucial, and the Habs have dropped the ball in each area.

Reactions: Habs13 and montreal

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
And yet, only 1 defenceman drafted by the Habs in the starting lineup.

Since 2003
O'Byrne
Emelin, Streit
No one (only D drafted in 7th round)
No one
McDonagh, Subban, Weber
no D drafted
No one
No one but I guess Tinordi
Beaulieu
No one
no D drafted
No one
Juulsen
Sergachev, Mete
Fleury (Brook?)
Romanov (Harris?)
(Norlinder? Fairbrother? Struble?)
(Guhle?)

Most of the time, if he draft Ds, some will make it.

Reactions: montreal

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Watching other teams first rounders like Kyle Connor develop and seeing the garbage we constantly end up with is depressing

True but Kyle Connor is an exceptional late 1st round pick. He and Pastrnak could well be two of the greatest late first round picks of all time. Pastrnak looks like a Hall of famer and Conner may well be one. 3 30 goal seasons by the age of 24, had 38 last year, and is on a 40 goal pace this year.

He's getting his due now, but still may be under-rated.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Since 2003
O'Byrne
Emelin, Streit
No one (only D drafted in 7th round)
No one
McDonagh, Subban, Weber
no D drafted
No one
No one but I guess Tinordi
Beaulieu
No one
no D drafted
No one
Juulsen
Sergachev, Mete
Fleury (Brook?)
Romanov (Harris?)
(Norlinder? Fairbrother? Struble?)
(Guhle?)

Most of the time, if he draft Ds, some will make it.
Question marks aside, that’s a pretty sparse list of quality D-men.

Also, often times, when they select a forward, there’s a d-man right there for the taking who they’ve scouted / evaluated, and decided not to take.

Urquhart over s. Weber
Galchenyuk over Reilly
Mccarron over Theodore
... and so forth.

simply looking at the selected D doesn’t tell the whole story.

in any event, the fact remains ... only 1 in the lineup.

Reactions: The Great Weal

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Also, often times, when they select a forward, there’s a d-man right there for the taking who they’ve scouted / evaluated, and decided not to take.

Urquhart over s. Weber
Galchenyuk over Reilly
Mccarron over Theodore
... and so forth.

You can do that for every team in the NHL.

In any event, the fact remains .... that's on management not drafting.

McDonagh - XXX
Sergachev - Subban
Beaulieu - Romanov
Weber/Mete/Juulsen/Tinordi

With Fleury, Brook, Harris, Norlinder, Fairbrother, Struble and Guhle in the cupboard.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
You can do that for every team in the NHL.

In any event, the fact remains .... that's on management not drafting.

McDonagh - XXX
Sergachev - Subban
Beaulieu - Romanov
Weber/Mete/Juulsen/Tinordi

With Fleury, Brook, Harris, Norlinder, Fairbrother, Struble and Guhle in the cupboard.
The only fact is that there’s only one D in the current lineup who was a Habs’ pick. Blame “management”, but drafting is under that umbrella.

it says it all when you draw up a lineup of draftees that spans 15 years, including former and current Habs, and the top 6 includes XXXX and Beaulieu.
Can I do a similar exercise for every team in the NHL? Not even get to 6?

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
The only fact is that there’s only one D in the current lineup who was a Habs’ pick.

it says it all when you draw up a lineup of draftees that spans 15 years, including former and current Habs, and the top 6 includes XXXX and Beaulieu.

13 years*
As I said, it's management, not drafting. All the players I mentioned are still playing in the NHL so them playing for the Habs could still have been a possibility. I put an XXXX because we don't have a top-2 RD anymore since Subban's play has fallen off. The exercise was to show we could have more than 1 guy in the top6 if the management (not drafting) made different decisions.

Blaming drafting for the fact we have only 1 drafted player in the top6 completely ignore the fact that there are other top6 D drafted by the Habs on other teams. Blaming Timmins for the GM trading his draftees makes no sense.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Timmons was not fired after that horrible 2010-2015 stretch but was instead given a mandate to reform things.

The drafting since then has seemed to be better, although the guys are still young, but they made some big calls 1) refusing to trade Poehling for ROR. If Poehling isn't showing more progress towards NHL impact player that's going to be very harshly evaluated in retrospect and 2) If Kotkaniemi isn't showing more progress it's not going to look good in another year especially with Tkachuk breaking out.

Not saying Kotkaniemi is going to be a bust, he seems to have late bloomer written all over him but it's a bad look for Timmons and his new mandate if in another 12 months Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk is still looking like a bad call (especially when Tkachuk would be an immediate impact on this team) and in1 2 months the overrating Poehling is more obvious (who will be 23 then). If that's the case in 12 months with both those guys I think Timmons is gone, and good chance Bergevin with him.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
13 years*
As I said, it's management, not drafting. All the players I mentioned are still playing in the NHL so them playing for the Habs could still have been a possibility. I put an XXXX because we don't have a top-2 RD anymore since Subban's play has fallen off. The exercise was to show we could have more than 1 guy in the top6 if the management (not drafting) made different decisions.

Blaming drafting for the fact we have only 1 drafted player in the top6 completely ignore the fact that there are other top6 D drafted by the Habs on other teams. Blaming Timmins for the GM trading his draftees makes no sense.
2003 (timmins in charge) to 2018 (Romanov drafted)

So, my question was - can you do the same with most teams? Add all draftees (still with team or not) and see if you fall short of 6? I think not.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

So, my question was - can you do the same with most teams? Add all draftees (still with team or not) and see if you fall short of 6? I think not.
We don't really fall short of 6 as Mete has been a top6 D before this year.

Can't check all teams right now, but I would assume teams like Vancouver might struggle in that 2007-2018 window.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Timmons was not fired after that horrible 2010-2015 stretch but was instead given a mandate to reform things.

The drafting since then has seemed to be better, although the guys are still young, but they made some big calls 1) refusing to trade Poehling for ROR. If Poehling isn't showing more progress towards NHL impact player that's going to be very harshly evaluated in retrospect and 2) If Kotkaniemi isn't showing more progress it's not going to look good in another year especially with Tkachuk breaking out.

Not saying Kotkaniemi is going to be a bust, he seems to have late bloomer written all over him but it's a bad look for Timmons and his new mandate if in another 12 months Kotkaniemi over Tkachuk is still looking like a bad call (especially when Tkachuk would be an immediate impact on this team) and in1 2 months the overrating Poehling is more obvious (who will be 23 then). If that's the case in 12 months with both those guys I think Timmons is gone, and good chance Bergevin with him.

Not sure how much you can bash 2010-2015. They didn't do miracles but they mostly had late picks, not many of them, and there weren't obviously better picks in the next few. Galchenyuk was picked in a truly terrible draft, chances of doing better were low. In hindsight they should not have chased Tinordi but who would have said so after his first camp?

No comment on the later picks, other than that so many were made by other teams.

Most of the non-McCarron picks require hindsight to be seriously condemned. Tinordi looked really good at the time, and the league changed away from his game.

MB needs to realize the value of young players. Subban/Weber and Sergachev/Drouin had other benefits but trading for older players is not a good cap move and requires additional value coming back.

Reactions: montreal and Hins77

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Mete ... can’t even crack our current top 6. If you’re trying to make a case using Mete, well, say no more.

Whatever about Mete, I don't want to argue about him.

Vancouver 2007-2018

Hughes - Tryamkin
Hutton - XXX
Juolevi -XXX
Connauton, Forsling

Beaulieu would be fighting for 3rd best D there, if not 2nd (hard to say with Tryamkin playing so little in NA).

Even with extending to 2003, they only get Edler and I guess Bourdon (RIP).

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Calgary 2003-2018
Brodie - Andersson
Kulak - Fox
Kylington - Valimaki

Pretty shallow in current NHLer too.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

Why you don't do this excersise yourself?
Hockeydb.com you have all the required info there.

Just from memory(top of my head) the team that IMO have better defenseman drafted from 2003 to 2018 than the habs are Nashville and arguably Carolina.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZUKI

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Urquhart over s. Weber
Galchenyuk over Reilly
Mccarron over Theodore
... and so forth.

Urquhart over P. Bergeron

Reactions: Ozmodiar and Habs13

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Guhle is more physical and better defensively than Sergachev coming out, About the same size, a better skater, and his point total in relation to overall team scoring in his draft season is about the same. I think KG gonna be their best pick of recent times.

habsfan92

Jun 5, 2005
winnipeg
Reactions: dcyhabs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad