Habs are one of the Highest Scoring Teams in the NHL

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
That's right. Tied for 4th in scoring in the NHL with the mighty Maple Leafs.

When was the last time we saw that? How long can it continue?

Do you think Julien will reel them in and buckle down on defence, or do we stay a free-wheeling team all year?

I for one haven't been this entertained by the on ice product in years. It's refreshing to see our young talented players go out and make plays and be agressive on offense after all these years of playing conservative hockey.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Now if we can only do something about that goals against situation we'd be golden lol.

This team reminds me of the Penguins of a few years back, high scoring, highly scored against. Team that wins and dies by it's offense because it's defense is a hot mess.

Entertaining to watch when winning, frustrating and sometimes heartbreaking to deal with after a loss. When you watch your guys hustle and get 5 goals only for your goalie to let in a softie or two and you lose 6-5 it kinda hurts more than losing 2-1.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
#1 at 5on5 lol

That’s crazy when you think about it as a few years back we were one of the lowest scoring teams 5on5! We had a good power play, but teams would just shut us down in the playoffs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
per game : tied for 10th.

5be82fe2c6749549602841.gif

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
#1 at 5on5 lol
I think that's the most impressive part - and their PDO is very normal at 100.4 despite a high sh%. But that means the sv% is pretty bad, so they're also bottom 10 in goals against.

That said, I don't mind if they go the whole season playing like this. This might be the most entertaining Habs team I've ever seen since starting to watch hockey after the 04-05 lockout.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

pl4tinum

Feb 21, 2012
I love watching the game, knowing that we're going to create multiple turnovers each period just due to the speed and tenacity of a large number of our players. We need Byron and Armia back! They are a big part of the above.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
#1 at 5on5 lol

I am sure the power play can get going. We have the personnel, even with Weber sidelined. It's just the system sucks.

I would put KK on the first unit and no longer have Drouin as the QB. He's been turning the puck over too much.

I would have

Domi as the QB on the point,
KK in Galchneyuk's office (the right half wall),
Drouin down low on the left half wall
Gallagher in front of the net
Reilly or Petry at the point (whoever learns to hit the net first)

Reactions: peate

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
other teams will adjust, injuries will come, lack of depth will be evident and reality will kick in...

But we have some things that we can improve within as well.

Kotkaniemi could really start to take off. Of course he could also fade with fatigue. But Stamkos had a horrible 1st half and an elite 2nd half as an 18 year. If any 18 year old can improve and handle the pressure it's KK. Plus, he we still haven't found the right linemates for him. Lehkonen is one, but I'd like someone more offensive to complete them. Maybe it's Hudon, maybe Byron or Scherbak. And I wouldn't be surprised if Scherbak gets it together and gives us something, even from the 4th line and 2nd wave of the PP.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Last time we played similar to this is in the lock out year when MT employed an aggressive forecheck and we played more of a possession game than the throw the puck away strategy ( ?????).

There are players likely at unsustainable paces ( Domi and Tatar) but if other guys could step up who are due ( Lehks , the D ), we could sustain this. Then add Weber.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I mean we're missing two top 6 players, our best d, and our franchise goalie is playing like ass...but things could be worse

Exactly.

And when Weber does come back, he will make the PP better which is punchless right now. Petry/Drouin just don't have a threatening shot from the point.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Last time we played similar to this is in the lock out year when MT employed an aggressive forecheck and we played more of a possession game than the throw the puck away strategy ( ?????).

There are players likely at unsustainable paces ( Domi and Tatar) but if other guys could step up who are due ( Lehks , the D ), we could sustain this. Then add Weber.
Domi I totally agree. He will greatly slow down.

Tatar on the other hand, while I doubt he finishes with 70+ points, isn't really playing at an unsustainable pace. He's shooting at 13.5% (which is about his career average), and a little under 16% at 5v5. His expected metrics aren't showing much unsustainability in regards to his actual metrics. The Gallagher-Tatar-Danault line also has an overall on-ice shooting% of about 9% at 5v5, which isn't that unsustainable. Especially considering how dominant they are in possession. And the 3 are amongst our lowest players in PDO. If you asked me who's more likely to finish the season with the most points, I'd go with Tatar over Domi considering how they've been playing so far.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Didn't the Bruins had a bad PP when they won the Stanley Cup?

Entertainment value is really high right now. I like it

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
We are a hard working fast team which always has been our identity

Domi is a also a great leader

Pacioretty and Galchenyuk were inconsistent and the problem is the defence. The defence will be hard to fix but shlemko and weber will
Be nice additions. I would try Mete in laval for 20 games

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Offense is the best defense, or is it the other way around? :huh:

Whatever, it was a big win before the road trip. We'll need a lot of goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad