Habs are on pace for a 118 pts season (full 82 games)

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
118 is a ridiculous amount of points. I don't think they would have held up that pace.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Playing the West would've made a pretty big difference. 100 point team is probably around where we'd be. Which is actually pretty shocking to me as I thought at best we'd be an 8th place team and more likely finish out of the playoffs.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Habs magic number is at 37.

Considering they have 46 possible points that they can get (in 23 games left), they're almost a lock for the playoffs already. They've had 36 points in 25 games, and the magic number is 37 with 23 games left.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
That would represent a 24 pts increase, which is great but I think it's far from the all-time record.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if a team ever went from last to first in consecutive seasons ? Would be great to be the first team to do it.

I think I remember hearing there was a team back in the 30's that did it, I don't think anyone has done it in the modern era.

VL55

Aug 12, 2010
Montreal
Habs magic number is at 37.

Considering they have 46 possible points that they can get (in 23 games left), they're almost a lock for the playoffs already. They've had 36 points in 25 games, and the magic number is 37 with 23 games left.

That's an even higher pace than what we have maintained so far (36 in 25 game = 0.720, 37 in 23 = 0.804)

Magic number to do what? Win the conference?

To reach the playoffs we probably need only to reach 54 (prorata of 92 points in a 82 seasons game, though teams have made the playoffs with as little as 88 since the other lockout).

So in that regard our magic number is about 18 in 23 games.

Koss

That's an even higher pace than what we have maintained so far (36 in 25 game = 0.720, 37 in 23 = 0.804)

Magic number to do what? Win the conference?

To reach the playoffs we probably need only to reach 54 (prorata of 92 points in a 82 seasons game, though teams have made the playoffs with as little as 88 since the other lockout).

So in that regard our magic number is about 18 in 23 games.

Magic numbers don't only count points for when we win , but also the points the teams chasing us lose. So if we win and another team trying to get into the play-offs loses, our magic number theoretically goes down 4 points.

Serious HABit

Jul 16, 2009
Forum Ghosts
severe case of over performing here.

We're not strong enough for a serious playoff run. Missing a few key elements and I know I'll get hated on but I'm still not convinced by price's 'tending.

VL55

Aug 12, 2010
Montreal
Magic numbers don't only count points for when we win , but also the points the teams chasing us lose. So if we win and another team trying to get into the play-offs loses, our magic number theoretically goes down 4 points.

Hell no. That would only be true if the conference was composed of exactly two team!

But there are 7 teams out of playoffs spots and 8 who are in. They can't all lose or win at the same time; they have to play each other.

The bottom line is that every complete season, 92 points at the most will get you in the playoffs.

This year, I expect the cutoff to be at 54 at the most (pro rata of 92), it could be as low as 52 or 51 (considering that the top 3 teams are doing so well and have taken so many points from the weaker teams).

68*

I think we're a good regular season team but I don't see us going far in the playoffs unfortunately.

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
I think we're a good regular season team but I don't see us going far in the playoffs unfortunately.

I expect to finish 4th behind Boston and that we will play Toronto or Ottawa in the first round. There's no reason why we couldn't win round 1. Round 2 would likely be Pittsburgh, so that would be extremely difficult. Then we'd have to play Boston and Chicago if we ever get there. I think we're probably only one elite winger (such as Perry) from being a Stanley Cup contender.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
severe case of over performing here.

We're not strong enough for a serious playoff run. Missing a few key elements and I know I'll get hated on but I'm still not convinced by price's 'tending.

Well if Price gets hot the team will certainly keep up the pace and be dangerous in the playoffs.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I'd say 95-100 is a good range. Team shows more than enough flaws to see they aren't a president trophy challenge. :laugh:

madvie

female habs fan
Jul 14, 2006
Montrealer in TO
I expect to finish 4th behind Boston and that we will play Toronto or Ottawa in the first round. There's no reason why we couldn't win round 1. Round 2 would likely be Pittsburgh, so that would be extremely difficult. Then we'd have to play Boston and Chicago if we ever get there. I think we're probably only one elite winger (such as Perry) from being a Stanley Cup contender.

The country would explode if that happened. Like, I'm actually worried about the consequence.

Agreed with the others in saying that I see the Habs hovering around 100pts in a regular season, and even that seems optimistic. I think years of meltdowns have just led to me expecting one. I'll just remain pleasantly surprised.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
Well if Price gets hot the team will certainly keep up the pace and be dangerous in the playoffs.

the same can be said for any team. if the sens keep up their pace and anderson comes back at the end...look out, they'll be tough to beat.

Intense

Jan 18, 2011
new-york-attorneys.blogspot.com

That would be awesome... unless we lose to the Leafs :scared:

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Hell no. That would only be true if the conference was composed of exactly two team!

But there are 7 teams out of playoffs spots and 8 who are in. They can't all lose or win at the same time; they have to play each other.

The bottom line is that every complete season, 92 points at the most will get you in the playoffs.

This year, I expect the cutoff to be at 54 at the most (pro rata of 92), it could be as low as 52 or 51 (considering that the top 3 teams are doing so well and have taken so many points from the weaker teams).

You don't understand what the magic number is. It's the maximum number of points the 9th place team can have till the end of the season vs the team's (the one you're calculating the magic number for) total points.

It's calculated to know when a team is mathematically guaranteed a playoff spot.

The team who is in 9th place usually has a lead. If that 9th place team loses in regulation, Habs magic number goes down by two, unless the team trailing the 9th place was behind by one point, then the magic number goes down by one.

Ok, so right now, 9th and 10th are both at 25 points. The Jets have 24 remaining, this means a possible of 48 total points they can get + their 25 points already garnered, this makes 73, minus the 36 the Habs have, Habs magic number vs the Jets is 37 points. 9th place team are the Isles, but they have 23 games remaining, with 46 points they can possibly get, and the 25 points they already have, Habs magic number vs the Isles is 35 points.

So let's say the Isles play tonight and win, the Jets lose and the Habs win, Habs magic number is still gonna fall by 4, to 33. Because then the Isles will have 22 games left, 44 possible points, with 27 points already in bank, that makes 71 minus Habs 38 points... magic number at 33!

It's not ONE team you have to look at, but the team who is at the 9th place on the day you calculate it. If the team is tied (same point total, same number of games left), then all those teams have to lose for the magic number to go down.

I forgot the mandatory +1 for the tie breaker, so the Habs magic number is actually 38.

What is impressive is that those 38 points in 23 games left is close to what they already had, 36 in 25, but they don't NEED to get 38 points, other teams are gonna bring that number down. That's why I say they're almost a lock already.

and yes, if we prorate the 92 points to 54 points on a 48 games schedule, Habs would need between 16 and 20 points in their last 23 to make the playoffs.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->