LeBrun: Habs and Victor Mete have begun contract negotiations

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
So you'd give Mete more than 3.25m a year? thats crazy imo

obviously i'd try to sign him as cheap as i can but i wouldnt split hairs over 700K on a long term contract. especially when our weakest area is at LD.

sweet spot for me would be around 3.5M-3.75M @ 7 years

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You would need to be the best defensive D in the league to earn more than 3m with a career high of 13 points with 1 goal. I'm curious what his underlying numbers say about his defensive ability.

Factoring that he played with Weber and he played the hardest QOC of the Habs, he typically averages out to around a low end 3d, clearly above a 4d. Of the RD of the Habs, only Petry had partner with better WOWY than Mete (Kulak was better with Petry). Clear top 4 defensively but again, solid partners boost stats of their partners.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
That’s straight up dumb. He might not be producing at what an offensive first pairing D should but he’s most definitely an NHL level D nights in nights out. I don’t even understand how this should be a debate
It's called selective memory. Singling out some of the mistakes he makes because they are more memorable than all the great things he does. He's amazing at driving up offense despite not getting points, and he's getting better defensively.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Jesus Victor Mete is not a 3rd or 4th d-man.
Can't believe some people think that , Dude would be in his chair with Cale Fleury on the third pair.

Nobody can take his top 4 lhd spot when you have Chiarot , Reilly , Kulak as replacements , all those d-mans are 6-7th.
He's easily a #4, and he's carrying his pairing right now lmao, Weber has looked awful this season

Reactions: HabsTown

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
That’s straight up dumb. He might not be producing at what an offensive first pairing D should but he’s most definitely an NHL level D nights in nights out. I don’t even understand how this should be a debate

If you enjoy watching figure skating then sure, Mete is your guy. Great speed and edge work, good hustle. 0 vision, no shot, no creativity. No size or grit either.

Right now, Reilly and Kulak can out play Mete if given same opportunity, and that isnt because they are great in their own right.

He isnt a top 4 D for sure and to be honest, if he played nightly with Fleury/Folin-he'd be rotating in the press box. As much as people want to say Weber has slowed down, he sure as hell would be doing better if he didnt have to cover for Mete. (and spare me the Mete skates back for the icing calls cuz Weber is slow, any half mobile D can do that).

So instead of acting only semi educated, and calling others dumb,please point out what exactly Mete does that makes him a lock. The way i see it, and anyone else who is objective, there isnt anything special there that points out he shouldnt be in Laval at the moment.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
If you enjoy watching figure skating then sure, Mete is your guy. Great speed and edge work, good hustle. 0 vision, no shot, no creativity. No size or grit either.

Right now, Reilly and Kulak can out play Mete if given same opportunity, and that isnt because they are great in their own right.

He isnt a top 4 D for sure and to be honest, if he played nightly with Fleury/Folin-he'd be rotating in the press box. As much as people want to say Weber has slowed down, he sure as hell would be doing better if he didnt have to cover for Mete. (and spare me the Mete skates back for the icing calls cuz Weber is slow, any half mobile D can do that).

So instead of acting only semi educated, and calling others dumb,please point out what exactly Mete does that makes him a lock. The way i see it, and anyone else who is objective, there isnt anything special there that points out he shouldnt be in Laval at the moment.
I don't think that Mete is a top 4 d-man but saying hes not better than Kulak or Reilly is just stupid.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

I don’t have anything to prove. Obviously Montreal’s coaching staff disagree with you because Mete is playing over Kulak and Reilly and Chiarot.

He’s got good speed, a very underrated stick game, he’s very good at keeping the puck in the offensive zone/keeping the play alive, he’s got a good first pass and I also think his IQ is grossly underrated.

Now, from what I’m reading in this thread everyone but you seem to agree with me, so instead of being the lazy one why don’t you do your homework and tell us (backed up by statistic if possible) why do you think he belongs in Laval and not in Montreal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I won't go higher than 2.5M.

His agent will argue that he's been playing Top 4. We all know he don't belong there.

I like Mete tho. He's very good at rushing the puck.

Mete has actually been playing in a first pairing role even if, most are likely to say how he doesn’t belong there.

How much leverage will Mete’s agent be able to get from Mete being used in a first pairing capacity?

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I don't think that Mete is a top 4 d-man but saying hes not better than Kulak or Reilly is just stupid.

I am both convinced that Kulak is better for him and that Mete is a lower end 2nd pairing D and have plenty of numbers to back both up.

Reilly though, I like Reilly a lot. I know he's never going to be anything special but watching him pinch up and keep the puck in the Leafs end a few times on Saturday (even if if did open the team to bad chances if he failed) had me falling for his style again. I wish more d were as carelessly reckless as him.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
i barely think Mete is an NHLer some nights, let alone a 1st pairing D. If he gets anywhere close to 4+ , i'll puke for days.

If I'm his agent and want to troll Bergevin I compare Mete to other players on the team... How could Alzner and Chiarot make more than my client who plays above them in the depth chart? :laugh:

1st pairing D's get 7-9M. Mete looks like he's gonna be Montreal 1st LHD until Bergevin leaves so 7 years 8M* ?

*I'm completely sarcastic I would not lock him up too long in case we find better D's and he ends up on the third pairing

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007

How is he better??? Both have a better PPG ratio with much less ice time and more often than not,om the 3rd pairing. Give them Weber and things change. Look at the games Kulak played with Weber last year. Was his best games.

"Intelligent" people like you, WANT Mete to be the more productive and the more impactful player, but he isn't. He is a product of playing with Weber as far as defensive play goes which isnt all much better than Reilly and Kulak regardless.

So again... SHOW me how, when and where Mete has been better. Telling me the coaching staff put him 1st pairing (as your friend did above) isnt saying much. Its the same staff that people complain about because they play KK only 10 minutes a game and refuse to demote the blackhole that is Lehkonen to the 4th line.

XX-Weber
Kulak-Petry
Chariot/Reilly-Fleury/Folin

Thats what it should be. Mete should be traded in a package to get that #1 LHD.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
bergevin is looking at the kind of deal he gave gallagher or pacioretty--- gamble on term and security for a lower cap hit..maybe 6 years at 4 million per

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Wow, 4 max? he has done nothing to suggest he could command that type of money anytime soon let alone long term. He could get there but he's still far away IMO.
the only way someone signs long term is cuz you overpay them today.

just bridge him if you dont like the bet

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
bergevin is looking at the kind of deal he gave gallagher or pacioretty--- gamble on term and security for a lower cap hit..maybe 6 years at 4 million per

Agreed and was my exact thoughts as well. Not sure what the fair AAV is though. 4 more RFA years so it becomes tricky in terms of predicting his growth from now moving forward.

It's not going to be 4 years. It's going to be 1, 3, or 5+. I'd go with 3 years at $2.5M so he has one RFA year left and both sides and gauge the salary cap inflation and what he game looks like heading into his age 25 season. I doubt they do 2 years based on the to do list Bergevin already has in that 21 off season... Petry, Gallagher, Danault, Tatar as UFA's and Poehling and Kotkaniemi as RFA's.

Vlasic signed his 2nd deal a year before his ELC expired. $3.1M for 4 years starting the 09/10 season. Not sure who else would be a better comparison to Mete. If it's 5+ years in term, Mete likely ask for $4+ AAV IMO.

The more I dig into it, 6 years at $3.5M is fair. If Mete don't like it, go for the 1 year extension.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->