LeBrun: Habs and Victor Mete have begun contract negotiations

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
Bonus linked to amount of goal scored per season.

0 base salary
1 + $500 000
2 + $750 000
3 + $1 000 000
4 + $2 000 000
5 ???

Reactions: abo9

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If it is 7-8 years, probably something in the 5M range.

Some people have suggested 3.5 x 7, players don't do that. 3.5 would get 5 years max.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
i barely think Mete is an NHLer some nights, let alone a 1st pairing D. If he gets anywhere close to 4+ , i'll puke for days.

That’s straight up dumb. He might not be producing at what an offensive first pairing D should but he’s most definitely an NHL level D nights in nights out. I don’t even understand how this should be a debate

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Habs are already high on him after scoring that Goal. Maybe the same deal as Girard?

7 years @ $5M per

You have a point , that's probably what his agent could ask , but Mete is not worth Girard's money .
If the Habs wants to go 7 years , i'm expecting between 3 to 3.9M/Per

Reactions: vokiel

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
You have a point , that's probably what his agent could ask , but Mete is not worth Girard's money .
If the Habs wants to go 7 years , i'm expecting between 3 to 3.9M/Per

unless all he cares about is being in Montreal for a long time, theres no way he takes that. Hes most likely getting a bridge deal. He’d be stupid to take a long term deal at a low cap hit.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Been carrying Weber this year, our second best dman after Petry. Really curious what kind of contract he ends up with. Lmao at the idea that he hasn't looked like an NHLer some nights

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
No way I'd be looking at a long term contract for Mete. He's one trade away from being demoted from his current position. This is a typical "Bridge" deal situation where the player doesn't have a lot of leverage. 2-3 years max and certainly not above 4.5 mil a year.

Reactions: Runner77

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
That's my max dollar but we won't get someone who plays on our top pair for 7+ seasons much cheaper than that. Yes ideally he's a 2nd pair dman but that's not how he's being used, they have leverage on us there.

Alternatively we could package him for an upgrade and wait for Romanov to come over.

Wow, 4 max? he has done nothing to suggest he could command that type of money anytime soon let alone long term. He could get there but he's still far away IMO.

Reactions: Runner77

JuJu Mobb

Montreal Canadiens
Dec 9, 2009
I won't go higher than 2.5M.

His agent will argue that he's been playing Top 4. We all know he don't belong there.

I like Mete tho. He's very good at rushing the puck.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Overhyped because the Habs forced him into the NHL so young. Don't see him as a very valuable player. 3 year term max X 2.5 or less AAV

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You would need to be the best defensive D in the league to earn more than 3m with a career high of 13 points with 1 goal. I'm curious what his underlying numbers say about his defensive ability.

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
You would need to be the best defensive D in the league to earn more than 3m with a career high of 13 points with 1 goal. I'm curious what his underlying numbers say about his defensive ability.
Everyone always so quick to just look at his point totals and make their assumptions from there. He has great speed and is a very smart player and that makes him very effective at both ends up the ice. He always creates offence and is very responsible on defence. I hope they lock him up with some term and throw a bit of money his way because he's earned it

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I won't go higher than 2.5M.

His agent will argue that he's been playing Top 4. We all know he don't belong there.

I like Mete tho. He's very good at rushing the puck.

The think is...he does. Maybe not top pairing, but he’s surely a #3-4.

TBH, I don’t mind him on the 1st pair. Points are not coming, but he creates a lot of chances that lead to goal.

Also, he’s shadowed by Weber who I think benefits a lot more from Mete than the opposite for every time that Mete carries the puck/or when Weber gives it to him because he can’t make a good zone exit to save his life. I’m not even talking about his stick work that is easily above average for an NHL D-man... all this at 21 YO

If someone knows hockey outside of goals & assists, you see all the little things Mete does that don’t show on the statsheet, hence why he found a spot that young on an NHL squad (& yes, even without being weak on LHD, he’d be there because he brings value outside of points & coaches love that)

Surely, I’n not judging the ones that don’t see him play & look at DB...I’d probably be saying the same thing if it was a D from the West.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
The think is...he does. Maybe not top pairing, but he’s surely a #3-4.

TBH, I don’t mind him on the 1st pair. Points are not coming, but he creates a lot of chances that lead to goal.

Also, he’s shadowed by Weber who I think benefits a lot more from Mete than the opposite for every time that Mete carries the puck/or when Weber gives it to him because he can’t make a good zone exit to save his life.

If someone knows hockey outside of goals & assists, you see all the little things Mete does that don’t show on the statsheet, hence why he found a spot that young on an NHL squad (& yes, even without being weak on LHD, he’d be there because he brings value outside of points & coaches love that)
Jesus Victor Mete is not a 3rd or 4th d-man.
Can't believe some people think that , Dude would be in his chair with Cale Fleury on the third pair.

Nobody can take his top 4 lhd spot when you have Chiarot , Reilly , Kulak as replacements , all those d-mans are 6-7th.

Reactions: abo9 and zeeto

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Jesus Victor Mete is not a 3rd or 4th d-man.
Can't believe some people think that , Dude would be in his chair with Cale Fleury on the third pair.

Nobody can take his top 4 lhd spot when you have Chiarot , Reilly , Kulak as replacements , all those d-mans are 6-7th.

clearly you need to watch him more closely, his dzone decision making while being under pressure is excellent

and hes doing that vs top lines game in/game out, his offense will come eventually. you cant play in the NHL at 20 without having excellent hockey IQ, on top of that hes facing elite players.

Reactions: HabsTown

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
clearly you need to watch him more closely, his dzone decision making while being under pressure is excellent

and hes doing that vs top lines game in/game out, his offense will come eventually. you cant play in the NHL at 20 without having excellent hockey IQ, on top of that hes facing elite players.
So you'd give Mete more than 3.25m a year? thats crazy imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->