Post-Game Talk: Habs 4, Pens 3 (SO) - Well That Sucked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I mean, speaking of arguing something that wasn't said. Did I call Sullivan an idiot? I'm not one of those calling for his head because of a slow start. I just simply don't agree with his usage of Sprong.

Note: if the word idiot or idiotic has been said by me, it would be latter. And there's a difference between calling a decision idiotic and calling the coach an idiot. One can make a specific idiotic decision without actually being an idiot, period.
That's fair. I'm probably mixing people up. But in general, I have seen a lot of people overreacting to how Sprong is being used. I've been having those debates with a bunch of people so far this season. But overall, I don't think our opinion is that far off on what we'd like to see. We mostly differ on how big of a deal it is to happen right now.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Arguably SHOULD have beaten us in 2017.

Fleury and Rust won us that game.

Fleury definitely won us that series but we were actually quite good in game 7 - easily our best of the series.

I could be wrong since I don't have the stats in front of me but I think that was one of the few where the Caps didn't outpossess us by a ton.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's fair. I'm probably mixing people up. But in general, I have seen a lot of people overreacting to how Sprong is being used. I've been having those debates with a bunch of people so far this season. But overall, I don't think our opinion is that far off on what we'd like to see. We mostly differ on how big of a deal it is to happen right now.

Yeah, I definitely think Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong should be used on the first line.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm not saying there aren't some obvious issues. And I kinda hate to be "that guy" but can we maybe wait at least 10 games before we declare Evgeni Malkin (2PPG pace...) the worst thing that's ever happened to Penguins hockey, Sid Crosby too ancient to lace his skates and the team in general half a step away from total meltdown? I'm usually all about debating the finer points of the team but my god...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not saying there aren't some obvious issues. And I kinda hate to be "that guy" but can we maybe wait at least 10 games before we declare Evgeni Malkin (2PPG pace...) the worst thing that's ever happened to Penguins hockey, Sid Crosby too ancient to lace his skates and the team in general half a step away from total meltdown? I'm usually all about debating the finer points of the team but my god...
I mean, I think they need to be better. Sid especially. But I'm also not at all worried about them.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, Malkin has looked bad this year, but production is way more important than looking good. If he's producing, that's really all that matters.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah, Malkin has looked bad this year, but production is way more important than looking good. If he's producing, that's really all that matters.

Crosby has looked meh but his possession numbers are good (as they always are). Have to assume he starts producing soon given that.

Geno/Phil/Hags are getting murdered in possession but are scoring.

Reactions: KIRK

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I mean, I think they need to be better. Sid especially. But I'm also not at all worried about them.

Why THEM? The whole team minus like one or two guys needs to be a lot better and tighten the hell up. We say every year how they need to "pace themselves" then cross ourselves and nod solemnly but then get all "worried" and cranky when they don't blast out of the gates like they were shot from a cannon... in game 4.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why THEM? The whole team minus like one or two guys needs to be a lot better and tighten the hell up. We say every year how they need to "pace themselves" then cross ourselves and nod solemnly but then get all "worried" and cranky when they don't blast out of the gates like they were shot from a cannon... in game 4.

I think Crosby and Malkin have been two of our worse players defensively and also in terms of committing to playing structurely.

Not worried about them offensively at all.

Reactions: Burn and Ogrezilla

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Ogre has pretty much said it all already but -

I'm not saying what's happening with Sprong is necessarily right. But its reasonable. Its understandable. It is not a sign of definite insurmountable bias, its not idiotic, and it is not a situation that will crush his career. Its not necessarily wrong.

And, in an 82 game season, being only 4 games in matters because it means a lot of things that will happen haven't happened yet.
I agree that it's early in the season (obviously) and there's no need to necessarily force the matter. That said neither Horny nor Rust are justifying being on a top line themselves thus far. Why not give the kid a look in the top six. Why not give him a few games and not pull the plug if he has a couple bad shifts. It's fairly apparent he has a mad set of skills. Let's see what we have in him as opposed to relegating him to a line that won't maximize his abilities and significantly limits his ice time.

And by doing that you may preserve Horny and Rust a bit more when it comes time for the playoffs.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think Crosby and Malkin have been two of our worse players defensively and also in terms of committing to playing structurely.

Not worried about them offensively at all.

Right probably... in 4 games at the very top of a long-ass season. If they play 4 straight games with this kind of effort in February, hey... I'll grab my pitchfork too, I guess.

I guess I just have a really, really, really hard time getting worked up about October hockey, these days. I pay attention -- just with a lot less intensity. I find that, sometimes, I even manage to ENJOY the games this way.

Last edited:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Right probably... in 4 games at the very top of a long-ass season. If they play 4 straight games with this kind of effort in February, hey... I'll grab my pitchfork too, I guess.

I guess I just have a really, really, really hard time getting worked up about October hockey, these days. I pay attention -- just with a lot less intensity. I find that, sometimes, I even manage to ENJOY the games this way.
I agree with you here entirely. Like I said, I think they are both coasting a bit. But I am not at all worried about either of them. I've said the last two summers I hope they learn from Kessel about how to coast through the season to stay healthy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

In the long run, I'm not equating how they're playing right now to how they'll look in April. But in the short run, how they're playing isn't enjoyable to watch because I don't enjoy watching sloppy, effortless hockey.

I've tried to sit back and take a deep breath and not get too upset over line combinations or whatnot. But then they'll look incredibly sloppy and disinterested like in that 2nd period, and that will just bug me to no end.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I agree that it's early in the season (obviously) and there's no need to necessarily force the matter. That said neither Horny nor Rust are justifying being on a top line themselves thus far. Why not give the kid a look in the top six. Why not give him a few games and not pull the plug if he has a couple bad shifts. It's fairly apparent he has a mad set of skills. Let's see what we have in him as opposed to relegating him to a line that won't maximize his abilities and significantly limits his ice time.

And by doing that you may preserve Horny and Rust a bit more when it comes time for the playoffs.

I don't want to put him up only to demote him immediately and I hope Sully doesn't either. He should go up there when they're confident he'll stick. He doesn't look the sort of guy who'll get terribly shaken up by the experience, but I'd still rather not go there. Like, maybe stick him up there in a comfortable game where he's playing well (only had one of those to start) but to start with?

I mean, I think he's looked pretty close, and I think that with Horny and Rust not bringing it so far we're that bit closer to something happening. But I don't want to just hit and hope with the kid.

Because we want it all and we want it now.

Reactions: Burn

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
In the long run, I'm not equating how they're playing right now to how they'll look in April. But in the short run, how they're playing isn't enjoyable to watch because I don't enjoy watching sloppy, effortless hockey.

I've tried to sit back and take a deep breath and not get too upset over line combinations or whatnot. But then they'll look incredibly sloppy and disinterested like in that 2nd period, and that will just bug me to no end.

I mean... it bugs me too. I don't like watching my favorite team play sleepwalk hockey out there for 3/4 of a game. But it's these guys. They've proven themselves time and again. They know how they have to play when it matters. I just can't make myself worry overmuch... especially about Sid and Geno.

What more do these two have to do? Let people circlejerk over Auston Matthews and all the other October superstars. We'll see how things look around the New Year.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm fine with people calling out the play, but we've seen this from Sid like 1001094309043859328 times early in the season. This is not something new in any way. And dude has delivered every single time when it matters.

Although I do agree with the poster earlier who said Sid should get married and have a kid. The different perspective could reignite his want/need to be the best of all time. I've heard many times that a child has done stuff like that. Could be sort of funny. :laugh:

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I'm fine with people calling out the play, but we've seen this from Sid like 1001094309043859328 times early in the season. This is not something new in any way. And dude has delivered every single time when it matters.

Although I do agree with the poster earlier who said Sid should get married and have a kid. The different perspective could reignite his want/need to be the best of all time. I've heard many times that a child has done stuff like that. Could be sort of funny. :laugh:
Or he realizes that there are much bigger thingsi life than hockey, and retires at the end of his contract, or even before. :naughty:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah, I definitely think Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong should be used on the first line.

Aside from one preseason game this year, was this line ever tried last season?

Think it was always Simon with them, but can’t recall all eight games Sprong was up.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I am on board with Sprong with Sid, not really about doing right by Sprong as much as getting Crosby to take more initiative on his line.

Also, really shouldn’t be throwing away points against bad teams now that Carolina looks like they’ve finally arrived to make the division even more competitive.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

Thank you!

It's like, people, yeah they're not outstanding right now, but they've got 5 points in 4 games. And yeah, there's like.........78 games left.

Reactions: NEPA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad