Post-Game Talk: Habs 4 Oilers 3

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
A team with Manning, Benning and Petro on it, and his beef is with Russell?
Sounds like an hfoil poster

The problem with Russell is he keeps getting put in a position to fail. Those other guys might be worse players, but they don't harm the team as much because they slot in where they're supposed to.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
A team with Manning, Benning and Petro on it, and his beef is with Russell?
Sounds like an hfoil poster

The problem (like many HF posters) is that he is a closed book on the player. His mind is made up so the only thing left to do is look for evidence that supports his hate agenda.
Ignore the positive and highlight and pound away at the negative.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The problem (like many HF posters) is that he is a closed book on the player. His mind is made up so the only thing left to do is look for evidence that supports his hate agenda.
Ignore the positive and highlight and pound away at the negative.

Yeah, I don't see the point of being on a message board that encourages discussion if everyones opinions are already set in stone.

Some people just enjoy arguing i suppose.

Reactions: guymez

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The problem with Russell is he keeps getting put in a position to fail. Those other guys might be worse players, but they don't harm the team as much because they slot in where they're supposed to.
By and large Russell doesn’t hurt the team. He’s a consistent 2nd pairing dman. Has been for most of 3 years now.

Want to talk about a dman that hurts us? Look at Adam Larsson. Hasn’t looked like an NHL defender since klefbom went down. For a guy who is supposedly an elite shut down defender... that’s a big red flag lol.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
By and large Russell doesn’t hurt the team. He’s a consistent 2nd pairing dman. Has been for most of 3 years now.

I don't agree. This team would benefit from spending less time in their own zone which is all they do when he's on the ice

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
He's not evenly close to the worst - but I don't think he should have been out there in OT. With Klefbom out, you go with Nurse, Larsson, etc.

Russell is like a goalie. He plays the odds defensively, which includes sell out plays like the starfish, like a crazy goalie dive or double pad stack. And he is pretty decent at it really, he knows how to read plays and play a defensive posture (of course he makes plays that forces his team to be in that defensive posture more than they should need to be). Just 3v3 is not a good place for that kinda stuff. Too much open ice, if you sell out and miss, your opponent is looking at an ocean of open ice in the place you left behind.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Russell is like a goalie. He plays the odds defensively, which includes sell out plays like the starfish, like a crazy goalie dive or double pad stack. And he is pretty decent at it really, he knows how to read plays and play a defensive posture (of course he makes plays that forces his team to be in that defensive posture more than they should need to be). Just 3v3 is not a good place for that kinda stuff. Too much open ice, if you sell out and miss, your opponent is looking at an ocean of open ice in the place you left behind.

Why is there more common sense in this post than any use of Russell in 3on3 indicates. I mean this is obvious, right, that Russells specific game is risky in 3 on 3? This is one of those things that you would think that coaches even giving it a little thought would realize. But instead it seems coaching is so often predicated on hunches rather than thinking about it.

RNH was dispossessed of the puck 5 times in this game in own end just in the first period alone. Hitchcock has him out with Russell, and Alex Chiasson (who was -3 on the night) not only is this not good usage or that the players lack any EV chemistry with, ALL of the players out there were having questionable 200ft games yesterday. We put those 3 out together. Afternoon before Russell is out in OT with Rattie and McD. Makes little sense.

Reactions: oobga

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Why is there more common sense in this post than any use of Russell in 3on3 indicates. I mean this is obvious, right, that Russells specific game is risky in 3 on 3? This is one of those things that you would think that coaches even giving it a little thought would realize. But instead it seems coaching is so often predicated on hunches rather than thinking about it.

RNH was dispossessed of the puck 5 times in this game in own end just in the first period alone. Hitchcock has him out with Russell, and Alex Chiasson (who was -3 on the night) not only is this not good usage or that the players lack any EV chemistry with, ALL of the players out there were having questionable 200ft games yesterday. We put those 3 out together. Afternoon before Russell is out in OT with Rattie and McD. Makes little sense.
I actually yelled at the tv because I thought I saw Russell and Larsson out in that OT together, but even though I misread, wasn't far off. Either way we were scored on shortly after.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I thought Todd was confused about what he had. Hitch is just as bad. To be fair to both guys though, pretty damn slim picking on this roster. Any number of our D can be exposed at 3v3 in different ways. Benning is the master of brain farts. Larsson is slow. Manning is Manning. Gravel is pretty meh. Kinda just need Nurse to play all OT. This team is gross.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I thought Todd was confused about what he had. Hitch is just as bad. To be fair to put guys though, pretty damn slim picking on this roster. Any number of our D can be exposed at 3v3 in different ways. Benning is the master of brain farts. Larsson is slow. Manning is Manning. Gravel is pretty meh. Kinda just need Nurse to play all OT. This team is gross.

Larsson SHOULD be good enough to play 3 on 3 but that its questioned is even more interesting in terms of how limited he is. The offensive prowess that was touted to be part of Adams game is not very evident. So we have Nurse, and Klefbom, whenever he happens to be in the lineup, and Sekera if he ever happens to be in the lineup. I like Gravel, but not on 3 on 3.

Maybe we can Clone Nurse who many people figured the team should hardball in the contract negotiation. Surprise, surprise for the 2nd season in a row he is indispensable in our lineup, as expected.

Imagine if we still had Petry. I think he's a better D than Larsson.

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
Yeah, Larsson is going to get burned badly in 3 on 3. Pretty much all our D would except Klefbom and Nurse. I don't blame Hitch for putting Russell out there. Might as well throw on three forwards, they can't be as bad.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
I think you posted this in the wrong group. Everyone will put you on ignore now. ;)
That's fine. Some people choose to get angry about sports. I don't. It's like getting mad at the weather. I can yell at the snow all I want, but it's not going to melt because I want it to. Everything the team does is out of my control, so I don't take it personally. I just enjoy watching the games and cheering for my favorite team.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That's fine. Some people choose to get angry about sports. I don't. It's like getting mad at the weather. I can yell at the snow all I want, but it's not going to melt because I want it to. Everything the team does is out of my control, so I don't take it personally. I just enjoy watching the games and cheering for my favorite team.
You came to the wrong place. Most of us here yell at the team and the weather and are happy to do it.

Reactions: EternalFrost

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
The Oilers should have shot earlier when they were driving through the slot. They were tenacious on the puck in the offensive zone for the second and the beginning of the third. They were also decent at moving the puck up through the defensive and neutral zones. Hopefully the team can build on these things in the next little while.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
One word. Passion. With passion comes emotions. I would say it’s more like if you were a passionate professional snowboarder and you got upset when the snow started to melt. Still out of your control. If you are a fan that can sit calmly and watch the Oilers lose for 13 years then good on you. I myself cannot.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Want to talk about a dman that hurts us? Look at Adam Larsson. Hasn’t looked like an NHL defender since klefbom went down. For a guy who is supposedly an elite shut down defender... that’s a big red flag lol.
Larsson definitely looked like a NHL D in several games, he has been playing below his normal level though that is for sure and his game really broke down in the last few games before the break. Before that it was not the unmitigated disaster that posters are now portraying. He was good against PHI and decent against MTL, good bounce back from where his game was before the break.

I have nothing against Russell, I have already said that in my opinion right now the untouchables should be Klefbom, Larsson, Nurse and Russell when talking about trades for fwd help. This D core would struggle immensely if we lose yet another top4 D. Russell did not have a great weekend though imho. Which is not that surprising, we basically always see some of our Ds struggle when we're missing top4 D men.

Reactions: Hippasus

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Larsson SHOULD be good enough to play 3 on 3 but that its questioned is even more interesting in terms of how limited he is. The offensive prowess that was touted to be part of Adams game is not very evident. So we have Nurse, and Klefbom, whenever he happens to be in the lineup, and Sekera if he ever happens to be in the lineup. I like Gravel, but not on 3 on 3.

Maybe we can Clone Nurse who many people figured the team should hardball in the contract negotiation. Surprise, surprise for the 2nd season in a row he is indispensable in our lineup, as expected.

Imagine if we still had Petry. I think he's a better D than Larsson.
That was never a thing when acquiring him. Some fans, including myself to be honest, thought that he had untapped offensive potential, and it was mentioned in a couple of fly-by comments by the Oilers and press, but it was never a thing. He was sold as the D he was in 16/17, regular season and even better playoffs. Last year was not a good year, that is on him but also (as I just wrote in another post) on that we again are playing with a depleted D core. Fwds and D alike come off worse when playing on a team with important pieces missing (look at the crap Drai gets for not being perfect while carrying around bottom 6 wingers). This year I had very little problem with Larsson up until when Klefbom went down, and I think he had a couple of good games this weekend so I hope and believe that he is more or less back to normal.

Edit 1: I do think it was a good chance to try him out on 3on3 in the Philly game. He had a good game with a couple of good chances offensively and he scored a nice goal. He was definitively pumped for the game as well seeing as it was 1 year on the day since his father passed. If the option was Russell on a 3on3 I think I would have given Larsson the chance based on the circumstances.

Edit 2: Even though I don't think Petry is better than Larsson I'd love to have Petry by the way, Klefbom/Larsson Nurse/Petry would be a solid top 4 imo. I proposed that just the other day on here. That said Petry would have been roasted on hfoil after the 1st and 3rd PP goal the Oilers scored, that is how we roll here. I didn't think it was that bad tbh, but if the roles would have been reversed and that would have been Larsson (or any of our D really) on the Oilers you bet there would have been at least a couple of pages in the GDT with bashing.

Last edited:

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
The Oilers should have shot earlier when they were driving through the slot. They were tenacious on the puck in the offensive zone for the second and the beginning of the third. They were also decent at moving the puck up through the defensive and neutral zones. Hopefully the team can build on these things in the next little while.
Team is dumb other than McDavid. They get into the slot and then pass it off to the side a lot. Nurse does this a lot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->