Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Danault's agent knows he has MB over a barrel. You can't have 3 young/inexperienced centers and expect them to carry the load unless they are high end talents. Suzuki and KK just aren't there yet and may never as who knows what they turn into at this stage. We only know that they aren't there yet. You lose Danault, then you will have to overpay some center as a UFA and we know most years we seem to have trouble getting UFA's to sign here.

I think MB knows he's going to have to overpay on Danault and it's going to hurt, unless he's got a trick up his sleeve and can get someone else.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
Danault's agent knows he has MB over a barrel. You can't have 3 young/inexperienced centers and expect them to carry the load unless they are high end talents. Suzuki and KK just aren't there yet and may never as who knows what they turn into at this stage. We only know that they aren't there yet. You lose Danault, then you will have to overpay some center as a UFA and we know most years we seem to have trouble getting UFA's to sign here.

I think MB knows he's going to have to overpay on Danault and it's going to hurt, unless he's got a trick up his sleeve and can get someone else.
There is no way any team should be paying any player on their third line more than 2.5-3 miilion max. You should be spending the money to load up on your top lines, not the other way around - that’s terrible cap management.( you should also not be spending more than 6-7 million on your #1 goalie, but I digress)

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There is no way any team should be paying any player on their third line more than 2.5-3 miilion max. You should be spending the money to load up on your top lines, not the other way around - that’s terrible cap management.( you should also not be spending more than 6-7 million on your #1, but I digress)

This is MB though, we shouldn't be spending almost 16M on goalies and another 4M for Alzner to sit on his couch.

Unless they think Suzuki and KK will be ready next year, they could be stuck and forced to overpay Danault. I hope they don't do it and I like Danault if he were a 3rd line center but not at what it will likely cost.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
This is MB though, we shouldn't be spending almost 16M on goalies and another 4M for Alzner to sit on his couch.

Unless they think Suzuki and KK will be ready next year, they could be stuck and forced to overpay Danault. I hope they don't do it and I like Danault if he were a 3rd line center but not at what it will likely cost.

yeah, it'll be interesting... as tight as the money for UFA's may be, Danault is one of the best C's available as a UFA this summer, arguable the best one if RNH is considered more of a winger or a team views Krejc at 35 as being too old to invest in.

That, plus the effective work he's done this year against perhaps the best C's in the league in McD & Matthews could see him get his 5.5-6.5M/per on a long-term deal.

if we don't pay him, we'll be stuck picking off the bargain bin for a replacement top-9C, and Suzuki/JKO are at least another year away from fully carrying that responsibility effectively...

that said, if Molson does the right thing this summer and fires MB... the new guy coming in could have the freedom to properly build towards contending and let Danault/Tatar walk, replace them with cheaper alternatives and focus on trying to move out Drouin/Weber... framing expectations for next year clearly on "building for the future"... maybe for once even selling off a vet asset or two to add an extra 2022 first rounder...

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
I wouldn't re-sign Danault, Tatar or Armia at all.
Letting them walk is terrible asset management. But MB wanted to go all in and lose in the first round. The BargainBin waiver special.

I would re-sign Tatar. Team is extremely weak on LWs. After Drouin, who has been a bitter disappointment, there is the underachievering Lek and that's it. He's going to be an RFA and MB has probably tried countless of times already to ship him out with no takers.

They recently signed a prospect who reminds me of a younger Tatar or Rucinsky but no other LW prospects are really any closer of joining the big club. There is some hype around Tuch but nothing really to move the radar. Byron has become a costly Bozovin mistake that will likely end up with a similar type Alzner buyout.

For RWs, you have Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher, Perry, likely re-signed and the emerging Caufield.

MB managed to get good depth for RWs and RDs but has sacrificed the left side on D and offense in doing so.

If he traded a 7th for a worse D than Mete, I am pretty sure there was some real value for Armia, Danault and Tatar out there. However, MB being true to himself, preferred to load up on more scrubs that likely will be lost to free agency. Although, he did sign Weal in the past and buried him.

I am eager to see how this whole thing unfolds. Last time the Habs had so many UFAs to re-sign, Gainey decided to change the makeup of the team overnight.

Staal and Perry have to be re-signed as they are better suited for the bottom 6 than Lek, Byron and Armia. As for Danault, there is really no need for his services on this team with the emergence of Suzuki, KK and Poehling. Unfortunately, MB has failed to surround his C group with quality wingers and rushed the kids, putting immense pressure on them to take the lead.

MB has a horrible way of selling his players. He's great at finding short term fixes and using scrubs to their max potential, exceeding expectations, but cannot get value out of underachievering prospects or selling high his more valuable assets. The Pacces trade was fair but I still believe he waited too long. As for the Domi trade, both players were underachieving. He really got lucky with Domi. Anderson had only one good season and Columbus had no intention of caving to his demands. Therefore, MB ain't no genius. He's a clueless fool, making low risk moves, taking advantage of certain situations and hoping for the best. If he only could perfect these traits, he would surely be a great GM but he just doesn't have a clue on how to build a contender. His luck is starting to run out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs13

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Lol you say that like Danault is the sole reason we are in the playoffs right now.
Dude refused a greasy offer. played 3/4 of the season like absolute shit. stuck at 50 points with 18min/game for several seasons with the best wingers , always been carried by his wingers .
Suzuki is on pace of 50 points in his second season in the nhl
Kotkaniemi is 2 points behind Danault with 2min average less than him and had multiple times awful linemates.

''Inexperienced'' Suzuki will be on his 3rd season and KK 4th season , that's not a good claim.

The biggest mistake would be to overpay a 3rd line center that can't even make a decent shot or a straight line pass 85% of the time.
And no we won't have to ''overpay '' a bottom 6 center

The biggest shit in this is that Danault always get all the tools while the kids mostly KK get all the shit.

We can easily live in the next season without Danault Armia Perry Tatar Frolik Gustafsson Merrill and Stall.

This team will be like this

Caufield-KK-Gallagher
Toffoli-Suzuki-Anderson
Drouin-New center-Poehling
Byron-Evans-Lekhonen

This team doesn't die because we need to overpay Danault.

If habs were to overpay Danault like we did with Gallagher then this team will mediocre for 5-6 more years.

Reactions: calder candidate

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lol you say that like Danault is the sole reason we are in the playoffs right now.

lol, where do you get that from? The Habs aren't very good because their centers aren't better and that includes Danault but anyone that thinks he's not a very good 3rd line center is crazy and what will we need next year, a 3rd line center. I didn't say I wanted to re-sign him, I said I think his agent knows he has MB in a bad spot and MB will likely overpay. If not then we will badly need a veteran center, where does that come from?

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal

I would much rather have Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling and Evans as the four centers than bring back Danault at any price. Inexperienced or not; I'd rather go with the kids than with a egocentric and crap overpriced Danault, Drouin, Weber et cetera.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
lol, where do you get that from? The Habs aren't very good because their centers aren't better and that includes Danault but anyone that thinks he's not a very good 3rd line center is crazy and what will we need next year, a 3rd line center. I didn't say I wanted to re-sign him, I said I think his agent knows he has MB in a bad spot and MB will likely overpay. If not then we will badly need a veteran center, where does that come from?

What does a $6,000,000 Danault offer that a $1,000,000 Poehling does not?

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Bergevin is not in a bad spot he actually offered more before his awful season performance. He was bad in the bubble also.

Habs can easily live without him next season.

Like you said he's a fine 3rd line center but he never had actual 3rd line wingers

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Being a vastly better hockey player at the moment? I also wouldnt sign Danault at 6, but comparing the two right now is laughable.

How is he a better player? Offensively? Nope. Defensively? Debatable. Physically? Hell no. Hockey IQ? I doubt it. What does Danault offer that Poehling can't - and don't just say "he's a better player".

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
How is he a better player? Offensively? Nope. Defensively? Debatable. Physically? Hell no. Hockey IQ? I doubt it. What does Danault offer that Poehling can't - and don't just say "he's a better player".
By being better offensively, defensively, better hockey IQ, harder worker proven effective NHLer RIGHT NOW.

Ryan Poehling got outscored by Dale Weise last year in the NHL. Your player evaluation of Danault is atrocious. You think it's debatable that the top 7 Selke guy playing a major part in shutting down the other teams top offensive players is better defensively than Poehling lol.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-4-17_18-3-24.png

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Toffoli-Suzuki-Anderson
Poehling-Kotkaniemi-Caufield
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher
XXX-Evans-Byron

Edmunston-Petry
Romanov-Weber
Chiarot-Brook
Fleury

Price
Primeau

Expansion draft: Allen (unfortunately)
Trade: Drouin
UFA loss: Armia and Tatar (time to move on)

Reactions: malcb33

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Looking at the Rocket statsheet got me thinking : there is a number of candidates to graduate into the NHL next season, there.

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Caufield

Poehling - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia
Vejdemo

And on the backend we will probably see the same group, maybe with Kulak leaving but I think they would keep him as a 7th. Only playing in the farm who would fill a need is a puck-moving one, like Leskinen, but I'm not sure he has NHL upside, or Brook, who might be too green to join the show yet.

Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Suzuki - Toffoli
Armia - Danault - Gallagher

I never would have thought of that. Replicate Caufield to improve your team!!

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I'd expose Price in the expansion draft. I know Price has a no trade clause but exposing him is different.

No way you can lose Allen. I'd give a real good prospect up for Price to move on.

EDIT: just saw Price has a no move clause. I can dream I guess.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Armia Danault and Tatar should not be coming back.
same goes for Perry Gustafsson Merrill Frolik

Give some space for the kids.
Find a 3rd line center on the market that wont ask 4m a year and role Poehling on the thirdline at wings.

If we keep the same players for next season we finisih bottom 10 . again

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I'd keep Danault, Tatar and Armia. I'd expose Weber and incentivize Seattle to take him. I'd also trade Kulak, love the dude but he'd be the odd man out. Staal wouldn't be offered a contract, I'd love for Byron to moved but he wouldn't be worth it.

Toffoli - Suzuki - Andersen
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Drouin - Kotkaneimi - Caufield
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia
Byron

Chiarot - Petry
Romanov - Edmondson
Merrill - Whoever earns it

Not much change eh? I don't see next year as the big year, I think it'll be the year after where the changes will come to fruition. Our D is about to get completely overhauled, Norlinder, Harris, Guhle etc are about to start challenging for roles and once that happens it'll be our time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad