Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I would probably look to bring back roughly the same squad for Laval, as the team is doing so good they deserve a chance to compete for the Cup in a normal season.

Sure, Poehling, Fleury, Caufield, Leskinen might be on Montreal, but even without them they should be very competitive. We have enough space to add a contract or two for perhaps an AHL veteran that can replace Poehling/Fleury, etc if need be.

By the way, would it be possible for Paul Byron to end up in Laval nexy year? He's been waived/scratched already, and his salary is obviously too rich. Nobody will want him. Like Weal, if he gets waived next year, I could see him starting in Laval. Maybe he could lose his 4th line spot to Poehling in Montreal

for sure Byron could end up in Laval if he's pushed out by someone better next season.

Reactions: NA Scouting

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would probably look to bring back roughly the same squad for Laval, as the team is doing so good they deserve a chance to compete for the Cup in a normal season.

Sure, Poehling, Fleury, Caufield, Leskinen might be on Montreal, but even without them they should be very competitive. We have enough space to add a contract or two for perhaps an AHL veteran that can replace Poehling/Fleury, etc if need be.

By the way, would it be possible for Paul Byron to end up in Laval nexy year? He's been waived/scratched already, and his salary is obviously too rich. Nobody will want him. Like Weal, if he gets waived next year, I could see him starting in Laval. Maybe he could lose his 4th line spot to Poehling in Montreal

I want Poehling in Laval all year next year learning as much as he can about the center position, over playing wing or 4th line in MTL...

Definitely worried about Fleury's ability to crack the top 6 next year. If he can't, it's waivers or the stands. Neither are good scenarios, as we saw with Juulsen...

Not worried at all about Caufield...

Plus Fairbrother joins the team next year, if I'm not mistaken. I'm really looking forward to watching prospects Poehling, Ylonen, RHP, Teasdale, Brook, Fairbrother, Primeau, and Leskinen get a full year down there...

Hopefully Arsen and Hillis have another gear. And looking forward to Tuch, Farrell, Harris, Struble, and Mysak joining them the following year, or shortly thereafter.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I want Poehling in Laval all year next year learning as much as he can about the center position, over playing wing or 4th line in MTL...

Definitely worried about Fleury's ability to crack the top 6 next year. If he can't, it's waivers or the stands. Neither are good scenarios, as we saw with Juulsen...

Not worried at all about Caufield...

Plus Fairbrother joins the team next year, if I'm not mistaken. I'm really looking forward to watching prospects Poehling, Ylonen, RHP, Teasdale, Brook, Fairbrother, Primeau, and Leskinen get a full year down there...

Hopefully Arsen and Hillis have another gear. And looking forward to Tuch, Farrell, Harris, Struble, and Mysak joining them the following year, or shortly thereafter.

Arsen and Hillis have their work cut out for them. Bringing back roughly same personnel, without Poehling, Weal or Byron, still pencils them down to the 4th line. They'll need to show major improvement unless they want to spend most of the year in the ECHL

Vejdemo-Dauphin-Caufield
HarveyPinard-Blandisi-Belzile
Veilleux-Teasdale-Lucchini
Pezzetta-x-Baddock

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Arsen and Hillis have their work cut out for them. Bringing back roughly same personnel, without Poehling, Weal or Byron, still pencils them down to the 4th line. They'll need to show major improvement unless they want to spend most of the year in the ECHL

Vejdemo-Dauphin-Caufield
Pezzetta-x-Baddock
I think Caufield will be in Montreal. But I also think (hope) Poehling will be in Laval.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Vejdemo-Dauphin-Caufield
Pezzetta-x-Baddock

they won't bring back roughly the same personnel imo

The Price is Right

Jul 3, 2008
I think if we sign one we need to sign both or just get rid of both because of the chemistry. Would you sign both at 4 years for 5 mil per?

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Depends on what we do with their cap space.

If we can go get a cheaper UFA option at 3C & trade for a significant upgrade (think Laine) then yes.

If not, resign them both.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
No...flat cap...Toffoli @ $4.25 mill...they each either take $4 mill at the very most or:

wellbye.gif

Reactions: sandviper

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
I’d probably offer Danault $4MM x 4 years

without getting into a trade discussion there are other contracts we should move out first before Tuna or Danno

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Disagree when Drouin and Gallagher make more than 5 mil. I doubt they will take less than 5
I'd let both go. This team isn't contending yet. Best to go with the youth movement and integrate the next core. I see Poehling, CC and Ylonen making the team next year so both are replaceable internally. For those of you wanting to re-sign Tatar, just wait to see him in the playoffs.....

Reactions: OldCraig71

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think if we sign one we need to sign both or just get rid of both because of the chemistry. Would you sign both at 4 years for 5 mil per?

I would prefer 3 years and lower AAV. But those 2 contracts aren't the end of the world.

Your proposal is basically giving Danault a 2M raise and Tatar a 200k raise on our cap (300k paycut for him). if We replace Armia and Lehkonen with $1M players (one of them being Caufield), that's 3M off the cap right there. So take the 2.2M away from that it would take to raise Tatar and Danault, and that leaves 800k for KK's raise.

We'd be short about 1.2M. (I think KK is bridged for 3M AAV). We could waive Byron or Drouin to make that 1.2M up.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I don't think re-signing them will be a problem if we're willing to part with Drouin, let Armia go and lose another salary to expansion. (Allen or Lehkonen most likely)

I see zero reason to let them go. I would even trade Price to make room for them, and roll with Allen/Primeau.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Is everyone here just obvious to the fact that Danault turned 6x5 contract earlier this year, because it wasn't enough for him? And you think he's going to sign for millions less?

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Is everyone here just obvious to the fact that Danault turned 6x5 contract earlier this year, because it wasn't enough for him? And you think he's going to sign for millions less?
No team is offering Danault 6x5 anytime soon.

Bergevin dodged a bullet there.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Danault's agent claims MB never offered that rumored contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad