Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The ego that made Danault decline the $30M and spout off, is the same ego that will keep him from taking the same offer or lower.

Also, if we were close , as in Danault wanted $6M ×6 , I don't see him speaking out like that and a deal not getting done. I'm thinking he was looking for $7M a year, which is 2C money.

I think Danault will take a 1 year show me contract somewhere else.

Reactions: BLONG7

Cold Coffee

Elite/Franchise/Generational/BPA
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Having the ability to put out 3 good lines is really valuable

Toffoli-Kotka-Caufield
Drouin-Suzuki-Anderson
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Well it wouldn't really be the third line, hence the quotation marks. It would allow the Habs to continue to play a line that brings more value than the sum of their parts. The contracts that I proposed are obviously short-term (1 year) and they'll have more than enough space to do it, barring any unforeseen trades or signings.

If I was MB, I'd sell them on continuing to play in the city where they've played the best hockey of their careers, on the line where they've had the most chemistry. Danault is a home town guy, he likes it here, I think he's gonna stay. Getting Tatar to stay too would be great.

Pass. There might be interesting free agents this summer again.

Reactions: Redux91

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The ego that made Danault decline the $30M and spout off, is the same ego that will keep him from taking the same offer or lower.

Also, if we were close , as in Danault wanted $6M ×6 , I don't see him speaking out like that and a deal not getting done. I'm thinking he was looking for $7M a year, which is 2C money.

I think Danault will take a 1 year show me contract somewhere else.

The rumoured contract he was looking for was 6 years at $5.7 million AAV.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
Offer Danault 4x4, let Tatar walk and bring up Caufield. If Danault doesn’t want that deal let him walk too. Gallagher will be good with whoever he plays with. Maybe try and find him a legit productive C.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
In-sane..................Toffolli 4.25M a 25-30 goal guy. Let that sink in.......Phil has 2 and on pace for 4-5 goals.
Bergevin will be moving on from Phil, unless the new offer is 4M per.
Drouin has 2 goals and is paid 5.5M...

Danault is on pace for about 40 points over 82 games without PP time and is still probably our best defensive center. If you only look at his goal total you will not understand his value.

I'm not saying he's had a good year, or that he's worth more than 4M, but I don't think arguments about his cap hit should only cite his goal total.

Having said all that, I wouldn't sign him past his 32, maybe 33 year old season. His game is based on speed and energy level, which will decline, if they haven't already.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Drouin has 2 goals and is paid 5.5M...

Danault is on pace for about 40 points over 82 games without PP time and is still probably our best defensive center. If you only look at his goal total you will not understand his value.
Drouin is another waste of sorts, but we are talking Phil. The intangibles Phil brings, some nights, not the first half of this season, but the last few games, are still not worth a ton of money, that he is looking for. He is a 4M dollar guy no matter how many goals he gets...he turned down 30M for 6 years, are thinking he deserves more because of inangibles?
Don't think so...............

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

expy

Nov 2, 2010
I would re-sign Tatar, but not for an unreasonable amount. I’d let Danault walk, or trade him at the deadline.

Reactions: hvac412

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Say what you want about the individual players but when the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line is playing together, they provide extremely high value. I'd love to keep the line intact in Montreal. Having them as the "3rd line" moving forward would be great.

Gally is locked up for the next 6 years after this one at 6.5M.

Tatar and Danault are UFAs this summer. Everyone knows about Danault reportedly turning down the 6 year, $30M contract. Danault is unlikely to get that kind of offer again, at least from the Habs.

People here are quick to say that Tatar is going to walk in free agency but I think there's value in keeping him. At a fair contract I'd like him back.

I think ~4.5M each for Danault and Tatar is fair. If you can get both of them for around 9M combined I would do it.

I'd offer them each 1 year contracts for $4.5M AAV each and re-visit next year when the cap goes up.

Danault @ 4.5M, absolutely. We need a top-9 C and he fits the bill about as well as anyone that will be available and that we can fit under the cap... anything under 5M$ i'd do 1-3 years on an extension.

Tatar? No way... not in an environment where 4.5M gets you a Toffoli, or for 4M$ or less you can get a Hoffman or Granlund.

Tatar will be lucky to get 4M$ as a UFA next year if he picks up the pace and finishes strong... with how he's played this year, might struggle to sign for 3M$ given the financial state of teams, flat cap, and large number of UFA forwards that will be available

Reactions: montreal

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think that even having a 6.5M dollar winger on the 3rd line is not ideal, having three players that total around 15M for our 'third' line long term is not good cap management imho.

I think it's more likely we resign Danault over Tatar, with Caufield coming....though I'd be hesitant to pay him (PD) more than 4.5 on a 3 year deal.

Reactions: Redux91

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
It all comes down to what happens this season.

Personally, I think it likely (barring a deep playoff run) that Bergevin is fired after the season.

In that case, I'm happy to let both Tatar and Danault go, and let the new GM focus on building a team for the future.

Sign KK and Suzuki to long term deals, hoping to compete after Price and Weber retire. This will require saving space for those two on long term deals now, meaning likely no Tatar or Danault.

On the other hand if this team actually does something this year (assign whatever probability of this you want) then it makes sense to try to bring one or both of Tatar/Danault back to hopefully compete with Price/Weber.

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
In my future, Tatar and Danault are playing for other teams next year and Gallagher's contract when announced was an error and it's only for 4 years instead of 6 and 5 million per instead of 6.5. All is good.

Reactions: the and Redux91

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
As hard as I've been on Danault this year, I wouldn't be adverse to him accepting his role as an Elite #3C and settle for a shorter term $4mill deal...Tuna's gotta go unless he accepts a bigtime hometown discount...I'd personally rather have a Granlund...

Reactions: Miller Time

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I would re-sign Tatar, but not for an unreasonable amount. I’d let Danault walk, or trade him at the deadline.

But what in the world would make you think Tatar will be better than *this* during ages 31, 32, 33 or god HELP us 34..?
We must get something for him at the deadline or big opportunity wasted

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure Chariot gets taken in the XD (even though I want him to be). My guess is Allen is the one chosen. Also, I wouldn't want Drouin and Caulfield on the same line, someone needs to dig the pucks out of the corners and forecheck. IMO Danault gets resigned, I just hope he doesn't get overpaid...

Drouin-Suzuki-Toffoli
Caufield-KK-Anderson
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher
Poehling-Evans-Byron

Edmunston-Petry
Romanov-Weber
Chiarot-XXX/ Mete/ Fleury/ Brook

Why keep Byron over Tatar?

Why not let Poehling develop in Laval as their number 1 center instead of playing 4th line wing?

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Why keep Byron over Tatar?

Why not let Poehling develop in Laval as their number 1 center instead of playing 4th line wing?
Tatar is a free agent and unlikely to be resigned (in the quoted post) due to the cap and Bryon is under contract and no one is likely to trade for him. There’s not much “choice” in those situations.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Tatar is a free agent and unlikely to be resigned (in the quoted post) due to the cap and Bryon is under contract and no one is likely to trade for him. There’s not much “choice” in those situations.

I would try to move Byron, even if it takes using a draft pick. If we don't re-sign Tatar, I'd like to use that cap space to sign another 50 point player - I.e. not have Lehkonen in his spot on the 3rd line, as the post I was replying to had it.

Last edited:

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
I would try to move Byron, even if it takes using a draft pick. If we don't re-sign Tatar, I'd like to use that cap space to sign another 50 point player - I.e. not have Lehkonen in his spot on the 3rd line, as the post I was replying to had it.
Sure, but that's a hypothetical situation (Byron being moved at a reasonable cost). I agree that would be ideal, but I don't see it as extremely likely, as cap space will be at a premium again this off-season and Byron hasn't been great this season.

There are many hypothecal situations of trades that "could" be made, but that wasn't really the point of the original post.

Ultimately, I would like to see Lekh on the 4th line and a winger with size and play-making abilities on the 3rd line with Gally and Danault. That could be Poehling, but it's a bit too early to pencil him in IMO

expy

Nov 2, 2010
But what in the world would make you think Tatar will be better than *this* during ages 31, 32, 33 or god HELP us 34..?
We must get something for him at the deadline or big opportunity wasted
I did say for a reasonable price. He's still putting up decent numbers and is on a line with the least talented center on the team.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I did say for a reasonable price. He's still putting up decent numbers and is on a line with the least talented center on the team.

before last game he had 2 goals in 27 games, depending on what moves they make, we are going to be very much up against the cap, he's soft and was terrible in the playoffs. we'll see how the rest of the season goes but I hope he's not back and that MB can upgrade that spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->