Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I could see Danault getting re-signed, as long as his demands come down. Or they could do a 1 year deal if he thinks he can show the team he can bounce back, a bet on himself to try and still land that big contract. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Tatar I assume they let him walk, he's had 2 goals in the last 26 games, no player on the Habs last year had more goals then Tatar and now he can't score better then Leks.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I could see Danault getting re-signed, as long as his demands come down. Or they could do a 1 year deal if he thinks he can show the team he can bounce back, a bet on himself to try and still land that big contract. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Tatar I assume they let him walk, he's had 2 goals in the last 26 games, no player on the Habs last year had more goals then Tatar and now he can't score better then Leks.

And he was pretty much a no-show in the play-in/playoff, too.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Agreed on both fronts...

Will be interesting to see if Danault's expectations come down, or if he decides to go the UFA route to try and cash in.

We do need to make sure we get a solid veteran option to slot in behind Suzuki/JKO, especially with Evans looking like a solid bet to lock down the 4th line C role going into next year.

Zajac would be an interesting alternative target imo... at 35, could see him accept a 2-year deal in that 4.5-5.5M$ range... he'd be a nice replacement for Danault, good on face-offs, well suited to play bottom-6 role but able to step-into top-6 as needed.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Moving forward into next season, the questions rest in the Gallagher line (assuming Toffoli, Anderson, Drouin and Caufield are top 6 wingers line wise). Will Danault and/or Tatar be resigned. If Danault leaves, who can replace him? Is Poehling good enough. If that's what happens it would be best to keep Tatar to insulate poehling better.

I guess it comes down to what's more cost efficient. Keep danault at a 4-6 million cap hit and also having to sign a free agent LW for that line. Or signing Tatar to a lesser (relative to danault) contract and inserting poehling.

This is assuming Caufield debuts next season to offset the likely loss of Armia and hopeful expansion selection of Byron although the latter doesn't matter as much

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Moving forward into next season, the questions rest in the Gallagher line (assuming Toffoli, Anderson, Drouin and Caufield are top 6 wingers line wise). Will Danault and/or Tatar be resigned. If Danault leaves, who can replace him? Is Poehling good enough. If that's what happens it would be best to keep Tatar to insulate poehling better.

I guess it comes down to what's more cost efficient. Keep danault at a 4-6 million cap hit and also having to sign a free agent LW for that line. Or signing Tatar to a lesser (relative to danault) contract and inserting poehling.

This is assuming Caufield debuts next season to offset the likely loss of Armia and hopeful expansion selection of Byron although the latter doesn't matter as much

Would be great to lose the 8.4M tied up in Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia amd replace them with two 700k 4th liners. That would give us an extra 7M in cap space, 6M if you count the approximate 1M Cole Caufield will get. That might be enough to keep both Tatar and Danault.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
you keep lekhonen

he may be willing to sign for 1 point something million - many players, especially role players, have taken pay cuts in the covid era.

But 2.4M is steep for a guy that hasn't beaten Byron, Armia, and Perry into the lineup.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
he may be willing to sign for 1 point something million - many players, especially role players, have taken pay cuts in the covid era.

But 2.4M is steep for a guy that hasn't beaten Byron, Armia, and Perry into the lineup.

Sure it is, but 3.4m per for a guy that shouldn't even be in the lineup is far worse...do everything possible short of offering a 1st to get rid of Byron in the offseason...Lehkonen needs to take a bit of a pay cut cuz, ya know, Covid's killing revenues, and go from there...

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca

While I wouldn't mind getting rid of Byron and to a lesser extent, Armia, I'd cut some fat by doing the same with Chiarot instead of getting rid of a highly serviceable player like Lekhonen. Weber and Price are where it hurts the most though. Underperforming, getting old and way overpaid. The least bang for buck of the whole crew.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
While I wouldn't mind getting rid of Byron and to a lesser extent, Armia, I'd cut some fat by doing the same with Chiarot instead of getting rid of a highly serviceable player like Lekhonen. Weber and Price are where it hurts the most though. Underperforming, getting old and way overpaid. The least bang for buck of the whole crew.

Honestly the NHL should adopt NFL restructuring format. What are the guidelines of terminating a contract then signing the same player? Because with Weber he isn't even making a lot going forward so a 3-4 year, 4 million contract would be better for both sides

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Would be great to lose the 8.4M tied up in Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia amd replace them with two 700k 4th liners. That would give us an extra 7M in cap space, 6M if you count the approximate 1M Cole Caufield will get. That might be enough to keep both Tatar and Danault.
You had me until you said to "keep both Tatar and Danault"...

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sure it is, but 3.4m per for a guy that shouldn't even be in the lineup is far worse...do everything possible short of offering a 1st to get rid of Byron in the offseason...Lehkonen needs to take a bit of a pay cut cuz, ya know, Covid's killing revenues, and go from there...

Yeah I was replying to a post replying to my post that said if we move out Byron, Lehkonen, and Armia, and replace them with Caufield and two 700k 4th liners, then we save 6M against the cap. They replied said keep Lehkonen. So I said sure, if he's willing to take a pay cut.

Would be great to be able to move Byron for a 2nd. The dream scenario is he's the salary we add to the package of futures in a trade for Ekholm...

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
According to some of the trades thrown around here, Eichel & Forsberg...

...although the more likely scenario is Danault at a reasonable contract and someone like Granlund...

Granlund has 11 points in 28 games - albeit on an anemic offensive team. Is he better than Tatar? Granlund is 1 year and 3 months younger than Tatar.

(btw, that makes Ekholm's 14 points in 25 games from the back end all the more impressive)

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Say what you want about the individual players but when the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line is playing together, they provide extremely high value. I'd love to keep the line intact in Montreal. Having them as the "3rd line" moving forward would be great.

Gally is locked up for the next 6 years after this one at 6.5M.

Tatar and Danault are UFAs this summer. Everyone knows about Danault reportedly turning down the 6 year, $30M contract. Danault is unlikely to get that kind of offer again, at least from the Habs.

People here are quick to say that Tatar is going to walk in free agency but I think there's value in keeping him. At a fair contract I'd like him back.

I think ~4.5M each for Danault and Tatar is fair. If you can get both of them for around 9M combined I would do it.

I'd offer them each 1 year contracts for $4.5M AAV each and re-visit next year when the cap goes up.

Last edited:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
They've been excellent over the past couple games. Their legacy will end after this season is finished as both Danault and Tatar will no longer be with the organization.

Reactions: Gravity

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Say what you want about the individual players but when the Tatar-Danault-Gallagher line is playing together, they provide extremely high value. I'd love to keep the line intact in Montreal. Having them as the "3rd line" moving forward would be great.

Gally is locked up for the next 6 years after this one at 6.5M.

Tatar and Danault are UFAs this summer. Everyone knows about Danault reportedly turning down the 6 year, $30M contract. Danault is unlikely to get that kind of offer again, at least from the Habs.

People here are quick to say that Tatar is going to walk in free agency but I think there's value in keeping him. At a fair contract I'd like him back.

I think ~4.5M each for Danault and Tatar is fair. If you can get both of them for around 9M combined I would do it.

I'd offer them each 1 year contracts for $4.5M AAV each and re-visit next year when the cap goes up.

Way too expensive for a 3rd line. We are talking about potentially 15.5-16.5 millions starting next year.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Way too expensive for a 3rd line. We are talking about potentially 15.5-16.5 millions starting next year.

I'd like players that have the offensive ability of a player making at least 4.5M for our 3rd line.

Who would you upgrade them with?

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Well it wouldn't really be the third line, hence the quotation marks. It would allow the Habs to continue to play a line that brings more value than the sum of their parts. The contracts that I proposed are obviously short-term (1 year) and they'll have more than enough space to do it, barring any unforeseen trades or signings.

They won't sign at 4.5M.

But since none of them has ever been great in the playoffs, I can do without them.
If I was MB, I'd sell them on continuing to play in the city where they've played the best hockey of their careers, on the line where they've had the most chemistry. Danault is a home town guy, he likes it here, I think he's gonna stay. Getting Tatar to stay too would be great.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
FSign Danault to 4 mill or less or let him walk FINE, dont care what happens there as long as it aint 5 for 6 years to cripple the team

but you move Tatar asap and you do it fast, there is no way he is getting re-signed and they BETTER get something for him

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad