Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Tatar wants to test the market and Dano is asking for too much.

Both will be gone and instead of hoping we can beat one of the top teams (when we have difficulty beating Ottawa) we should sell them for young players.

On another note, since when are posters allowed to plug their YT channel on HF?

So St-Louis should trade Perron,Schwartz and Hoffman for future they lost 3 games in a row vs Arizona. I can't believe you think its a good idea to trade Danault and Tatar based on two games, i hope it's sarcasm!! Imagine the message you're sending to Weber Price Petry and cie

Reactions: 417

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
One strength of MB has generally been not being overly generous with NTCs in their various forms.

I’d like to see Danault back. If the team develops a suitable replacement in 2-3 years, deal him. I would be much less enthusiastic about him having term and NTC.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree with you for Tatar but not Danault.

Tatar should go for futures at the deadline. That will open a spot on the top 6 for Caufield this year or next. But it all depends on the return on Tatar. If it’s nothing more than a 2nd round or something like that, I keep him for the run and let him walk as UFA.

As for Danault, you need to keep him. Our Depth at center is a big force for us and you need to keep him until KK is ready for top 6 role. For me, the strategy with Danault should be resigning him at 5-5,5 for 5 years. You keep him until KK finishes his 2 years bridge contract and then trade him. In 3 years, the cap should start going up again, making Danault’s contract acceptable for other teams.

Trading anyone unless it's for an upgrade makes no sense whatsoever this year. None.
Caufield isn't even ready for the AHL, let alone the NHL.
Danault should not sign for more than a year or two, if he's not interested then he can go.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Trading anyone unless it's for an upgrade makes no sense whatsoever this year. None.
Danault should not sign for more than a year or two, if he's not interested then he can go.

What a weird thing to say. He’s clearly too good for the NCAA. Where else can he go other than the AHL?

Reactions: 417 and Redux91

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I think it's time to stop thinking about a window for Price/Weber as a deciding factor for some of these moves. They're both locked up long term, but neither are really dictating the fortunes of the Habs at the moment. Weber is slowly turning into a second pairing guy and Price keeps fluctuating between good and godlike. While still great, neither are the cornerstones that we've expected them to be the last couple of years.

For me, this is Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Gallagher, and Petry's team. What kind of players do we need to build around them?

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009

What make you say that Caufield is not ready for AHL or NHL!?! Granato and Mcguire seems to think otherwise

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I'm not convinced we should sign either but if we let Danault go, who take his place on the 3rd line? Evans? Poehling? Or do we look for a short-term fix in Stepan, Krejci, Getzlaf on the UFA market? Staal?

I really like Derek Ryan but he's more of a 4th liner now

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

I disagree here. CC is ready for the next level, though whether he finds success, that we can debate. He’s dominating in the college level, on a mediocre team. The CHL is a step backwards for any star NCAA player, a huge step. I suppose there’s Europe, but at this point he may as well go pro here.

Reactions: Redux91

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Tatar wants to test the market and Dano is asking for too much.

Both will be gone and instead of hoping we can beat one of the top teams (when we have difficulty beating Ottawa) we should sell them for young players.

On another note, since when are posters allowed to plug their YT channel on HF?
The Habs are playing .750 hockey and you're talking about selling.

tenor.gif

Reactions: sharks9 and Redux91

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The Habs are playing .750 hockey and you're talking about selling.

tenor.gif

,750 with half the points vs a weak nucks team, in a weak division. Tatar and Dano are complimentary players.

Even contenders sell sometimes, it's nothing new, it just depends on the players and situation.

What is Tatar going to serve in the playoffs? Is Dano that much important or can we replace him with someone from a team looking for an upgrade on C (2nd for 3c) and not end-up empty handed? Not looking at alternatives instead of losing assets for nothing is a surefire way to make it more difficult in the upcoming years.

Losing one of them for nothing is not the end of the world, but doing it for both does not bode well for our asset base in the future. We need to recycle assets to insure perenity, or else we'll still end-up going through another drop in performance.

The "win now" mentality is held-up on very thin samples and is mainly centered around what the Habs ownership has been peddling for so long; hope.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Yeah I honestly think he shot himself in the foot by not signing the contract. Just my opinion ofcourse.. Guys in the league like Brayden Point, Ryan Oreilly making 6 mil a season. No way in hell Danault is worth that much. He's a good shut down center, that can play a 2c.3c role, that can fill in on the top line when necessary but I think he is overvaluing himself.

Those are not the best comparables.

Why are you looking at salary and not cap hit?

Brayden Point 6.75M cap hit
RFA contract with the last year at 9M. (Rule was you have to give 100% qualifying offer - so basically 7.3M cap hit RFA contract)

O'Reilly 7.5M cap hit signed in 2015

I'm sure you can find better comparable.

Little 5.29M cap hit (2017)
Henrique 5.825M cap hit (2018)
Atkinson 5.875M cap hit (2018)
Zuccarello 6M cap hit (2019)
Nelson 6M cap hit (2019))
Kreider 6.5M cap hit (2020)
Coyle 5.25M cap hit (2020)
Pageau 5M cap hit (2020)

Reactions: ZUKI

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
,750 with half the points vs a weak nucks team, in a weak division. Tatar and Dano are complimentary players.

Even contenders sell sometimes, it's nothing new, it just depends on the players and situation.

What is Tatar going to serve in the playoffs? Is Dano that much important or can we replace him with someone from a team looking for an upgrade on C (2nd for 3c) and not end-up empty handed? Not looking at alternatives instead of losing assets for nothing is a surefire way to make it more difficult in the upcoming years.

Losing one of them for nothing is not the end of the world, but doing it for both does not bode well for our asset base in the future. We need to recycle assets to insure perenity, or else we'll still end-up going through another drop in performance.

The "win now" mentality is held-up on very thin samples and is mainly centered around what the Habs ownership has been peddling for so long; hope.
I agree that the record is inflated, but there's no chance Bergevin will be selling if the team is in a playoff spot (and I exect them to be). It'll suck to lose guys for free, but might not be so bad if we go on a long playoff run.

Reactions: 417

HockeyJunkie87

Jan 20, 2021
Those are not the best comparables.

Why are you looking at salary and not cap hit?

Brayden Point 6.75M cap hit
RFA contract with the last year at 9M. (Rule was you have to give 100% qualifying offer - so basically 7.3M cap hit RFA contract)

O'Reilly 7.5M cap hit signed in 2015

I'm sure you can find better comparable.

Pageau 5M cap hit (2020)
Perhaps I’m wrong with the comparables but I was looking at the average , as most contracts are all over the place year to year .

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Is there really much of a risk exposing Perry to waivers? He's already cleared once this season and I wonder if there is an unspoken agreement that teams will leave players in his situation alone. Or maybe his agent can just come out and say that his client will retire if claimed like Spezza's did.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Pageau 5M cap hit (2020)
good comparables.
For Danault, i believe that his agent will get that for 200 00$ extra cash, his client will prefer to stay here. So i hope Danault will be a Hab for enough time to give more maturity to Suzuki, KK and Evans

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
One strength of MB has generally been not being overly generous with NTCs in their various forms.

I’d like to see Danault back. If the team develops a suitable replacement in 2-3 years, deal him. I would be much less enthusiastic about him having term and NTC.

Absolutely agree. I have no problem re-signing him and limiting the NTC to two years, to show some respect but, keep options open medium to long term.

Reactions: Tighthead

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Moving Danault by downgrading to a 3rd C with a team looking for an uprade from Danault as a 2nd C only makes sense if it's a bigger deal where we upgrade on wing at the same time.

Example: Danault + Armia for a lesser C but, a better Wing, offensively.

Then, we test the BS from posters to see if the lesser C still gets the offensive production from Tatar and Gallagher who allegedly carried Danault for two years and generated all of their own offense (35+ goals of it).

Meanwhile, KK gets an upgrade on the wing...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad