Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
100% on this if it comes with an extension. Also Habs should be on Hamilton. Petry needs help

...if either are even interested in coming here, I agree...the problem is I can't see either wanting to play here...they like their taxes low...

my bro Armia has been having an excellent playoffs. you think he can easily be replaced by a 6'0 rookie? :huh:

...Armia has definitely picked up his game so far...as long as he keeps his ask reasonable, resigning him would be a good move...

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
...if either are even interested in coming here, I agree...the problem is I can't see either wanting to play here...they like their taxes low...

...Armia has definitely picked up his game so far...as long as he keeps his ask reasonable, resigning him would be a good move...
Meh not everything is taxes my man. Those teams are already have no salary cap. You can also use signing bonuses to avoid the taxes.
Also on your quote of Armia , if he stays at like 2.5m good but if we sign him at 3.5m a year ill be dissapointed , he's a 30 points scorer who has pp time and top 6 icetime and can't ever brake it. He's doing good in playoff but hes a 3/4th liner.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I didn't mention Hyman cuz I think the Laffs will do whatever it takes to resign him and that means overpay...with Saad, I'm kinda on the fence with him; he can disappear for weeks, just like Drouin, and we don't need another ghost...I honestly value a guy like Granlund above all them; 200ft player, can play all 3 forward positions, forechecks hard, has that underlying offensive talent...I would have loved him this year before Smashville resigned him on the cheap...
Yeah makes sense. Granlund and try and gun for Hamilton?

@HabsWhiteKnightLOL If 5m for Hyman is too much would a Toffoli type deal work? both are around the same age and I don't see the Leafs signing him anywhere near 4.25m a year? Of course Hamilton would be a priority but our wingers on the left side is total trash come play off time we got an streaky player in Drouin and Tatar is useless in the playoffs.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

@HabsWhiteKnightLOL If 5m for Hyman is too much would a Toffoli type deal work? both are around the same age and I don't see the Leafs signing him anywhere near 4.25m a year? Of course Hamilton would be a priority but our wingers on the left side is total trash come play off time we got an streaky player in Drouin and Tatar is useless in the playoffs.

There is almost no chance Hyman isn't back in Toronto if he's willing to take a 4.25 mil AAV.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017

I think Tatar is simply a goner , Healthy scratch for the second time with 2 teams. Drouin in my opinion is also a goner so yeah that leaves only Toffoli in the top 6.

Toffoli is a better player than Hyman to begin with.
Hyman is just a good complimentary player with Marner Matthews , he's like the grinder type of guy to complete them.

In montreal on the right side we already have Gallagher and Anderson that does the same thing and both are for me badly overpaid.
I think Hyman will be overpaid due to playing with 2 great players.

I think habs should really focus on the defensive end and maybe a LW by trade. Also they gotta move 1 of Anderson Gallagher and Caufield to the left. Which should be Gallagher or Anderson.

I would use Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield and Anderson-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher if we don't do trades for the top 6. The Suzuki line chemistry is perfect.

I think we should look more into a trade then signing an UFA.

Players like Seth Jones who doesnt want to stay in Columbus.

Weber is aging so is Petry. We gotta focus in the back right now.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I think Tatar is simply a goner , Healthy scratch for the second time with 2 teams. Drouin in my opinion is also a goner so yeah that leaves only Toffoli in the top 6.

Toffoli is a better player than Hyman to begin with.
Hyman is just a good complimentary player with Marner Matthews , he's like the grinder type of guy to complete them.

In montreal on the right side we already have Gallagher and Anderson that does the same thing and both are for me badly overpaid.
I think Hyman will be overpaid due to playing with 2 great players.

I think habs should really focus on the defensive end and maybe a LW by trade. Also they gotta move 1 of Anderson Gallagher and Caufield to the left. Which should be Gallagher or Anderson.

I would use Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield and Anderson-Kotkaniemi-Gallagher if we don't do trades for the top 6. The Suzuki line chemistry is perfect.

I think we should look more into a trade then signing an UFA.

Players like Seth Jones who doesnt want to stay in Columbus.

Weber is aging so is Petry. We gotta focus in the back right now.
Has Anderson even played the left side? and if so does he do it well? If he does then no problem we don't need to get another LW and we can save our cap hits on Tatar/Drouin and even Danault to work on our back end. If we do end up going to the finals I think our chances of signing big UFA's go up too.

@Captain Mountain I don't think they can afford Hyman at basically double his cap hit. They have 12.5m in cap to fill in 6 spots. That is two left wingers two right wingers a defender and a goalie. The very next season they need to resign Reilly to a big contract because hes on a sweet heart deal at the moment. Now if Anderson can play LW for us then its moot to even try and bring in Hyman and we can spend our cap on defence.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Has Anderson even played the left side? and if so does he do it well? If he does then no problem we don't need to get another LW and we can save our cap hits on Tatar/Drouin and even Danault to work on our back end. If we do end up going to the finals I think our chances of signing big UFA's go up too.

@Captain Mountain I don't think they can afford Hyman at basically double his cap hit. They have 12.5m in cap to fill in 6 spots. That is two left wingers two right wingers a defender and a goalie. The very next season they need to resign Reilly to a big contract because hes on a sweet heart deal at the moment. Now if Anderson can play LW for us then its moot to even try and bring in Hyman and we can spend our cap on defence.

I'm not speculating, I live in Toronto. If that's all it takes to sign Hyman, then they'll do it and figure out the rest otherwise. That's from people in the Leafs FO. He's that important to the team and viewed that highly in the market. Hyman's getting offers north of 5 on the open market for sure.He's a poor man's Gallagher and will look for the poor man's Gallagher contract.

The wingers they need to re-sign/replace aren't big money guys, they'll get cheaper in goal and there's a good chance Rielly isn't back and will be replaced with Sandin.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I'm not speculating, I live in Toronto. If that's all it takes to sign Hyman, then they'll do it and figure out the rest otherwise. That's from people in the Leafs FO. He's that important to the team and viewed that highly in the market. Hyman's getting offers north of 5 on the open market for sure.He's a poor man's Gallagher and will look for the poor man's Gallagher contract.

The wingers they need to re-sign/replace aren't big money guys, they'll get cheaper in goal and there's a good chance Rielly isn't back and will be replaced with Sandin.
Really they would let go of Reilly for Sandin??? So there back end gets weaker and there front lines basically stay the same so they are playing musical chairs with all the role players. Hoping they get a Staal/Perry signing happening? Oh well Hyman was just a suggestion if the Leafs think that highly of him then they can sign him to a 4-5m contract.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Really they would let go of Reilly for Sandin??? So there back end gets weaker and there front lines basically stay the same so they are playing musical chairs with all the role players. Hoping they get a Staal/Perry signing happening? Oh well Hyman was just a suggestion if the Leafs think that highly of him then they can sign him to a 4-5m contract.

You're probably overrating Rielly there bud. He's not that much of a steal.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017

Idk if he played leftside but 1 of those 2 will have to. Anderson and Gallagher are paid big bucks and should be playing in the top 6 and not a thirdline with freaking Danault (sorry I just can't anymore of Danault that Danault this). Like I said those 2 contracts will look awful and they are already. But yeah im sure Gallagher could play on the left I mean he shots from the boaard and crash the net. Can't be that hard to do it on the other side.

Exactly With people like Drouin Armia Staal Danault Tatar gone we could have alot of cap space to acquire a good dman for future years. Seth Jones is the perfect candidate but I think we would need more than one.

We'll see but with Bergevin as a GM , Except more of the no man's land and will re-sign everyone at high price and we will most likely regret it like we already are with Gallagher and Anderson

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Don't see Montreal resigning Tatar. It sounds like they've at least offered a contract to Armia.

Do they resign Perry? And, do they trade Drouin?

RW is Set: Gallagher, Caufield, Anderson, Armia/Perry (if resigned)

C: Suzuki, KK, Danault?/Evans, Poehling

LW is weak:

Toffoli, Byron, Lehkonen, Drouin?

If we sign Danault/Perry:

Toffoli -- Suzuki -- Caufield
Byron -- Kotkaniemi -- Anderson
Evans -- Danault -- Gallagher
Armia -- Poehling -- Perry
Lehkonen

I'm good with lines 1, 3 & 4, but we need an upgrade on Byron. Drouin could slot in there for us, but I doubt he's back, but we could actually use a Drouin type player. Someone who can help playmake on that line because Anderson is really one dimensional.

If we don't resign, Danault/Perry

Byron -- KK -- Anderson
Armia -- Evans -- Gallagher
Lehkonen -- Poehling -- xxxxx
13th F

A team that won't score much.

D is not great. I expect we lose Chiarot.

Edmundson -- Petry
Xxxxxx -- Weber
Romanov -- xxxx
Kulak -- Fleury

I think we go with 8D next year.

We need a top 4 LD preferably someone who can skate and move the puck, and a steady RD for Romanov on bottom pair.

Somehow I doubt Bergevin wants to go into next year with a center line of Suzuki, KK, Evans and Poehling. I imagine he thinks it's too young.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Don't see Montreal resigning Tatar. It sounds like they've at least offered a contract to Armia.

Do they resign Perry? And, do they trade Drouin?

RW is Set: Gallagher, Caufield, Anderson, Armia/Perry (if resigned)

C: Suzuki, KK, Danault?/Evans, Poehling

LW is weak:

Toffoli, Byron, Lehkonen, Drouin?

If we sign Danault/Perry:

Byron -- Kotkaniemi -- Anderson
Evans -- Danault -- Gallagher
Armia -- Poehling -- Perry
Lehkonen

I'm good with lines 1, 3 & 4, but we need an upgrade on Byron. Drouin could slot in there for us, but I doubt he's back, but we could actually use a Drouin type player. Someone who can help playmake on that line because Anderson is really one dimensional.

If we don't resign, Danault/Perry

Byron -- KK -- Anderson
Armia -- Evans -- Gallagher
Lehkonen -- Poehling -- xxxxx
13th F

A team that won't score much.

D is not great. I expect we lose Chiarot.

Edmundson -- Petry
Xxxxxx -- Weber
Romanov -- xxxx
Kulak -- Fleury

I think we go with 8D next year.

We need a top 4 LD preferably someone who can skate and move the puck, and a steady RD for Romanov on bottom pair.

Somehow I doubt Bergevin wants to go into next year with a center line of Suzuki, KK, Evans and Poehling. I imagine he thinks it's too young.
Hes gonna have to because signing Danault might be a mistake even if we do end up winning the cup that means Danaults asking price goes up even more. I think sooner or later MB will have to take the chance on Suzuki and KK playing 1 and 2 C

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
So the Habs have more wiggle room then I thought. I went on Cap friendly and went pretty conservative on what I think the habs could do and I still have about 7m in cap space.

First, I bought out Byron, we save 2.9m on the cap next season.

RFAs I re-signed were KK (2,1m) Lehkonen (2m) Poehling (1,1m) Fleury (950k)

UFAs I brought back were Danault (5m) Gustafsson (1m) Perry (950k)

Chiarot was lost to Seattle

Drouin is on the team

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin-KK-Anderson
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher
Poehling-Evans-Perry
Ylonen

Edmunson-Petry
Romanov-Weber
Kulak-Gustaffson
Fleury

Price
Allen

Roster Cap hit = 74,44M

Cap Space = 7,057M

*This is not my ideal line-up. Just an initial rough sketch of what the team could look like and how much space we have for you guys to come up with ideas.

Reactions: Supersonic

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
So the Habs have more wiggle room then I thought. I went on Cap friendly and went pretty conservative on what I think the habs could do and I still have about 7m in cap space.

First, I bought out Byron, we save 2.9m on the cap next season.

RFAs I re-signed were KK (2,1m) Lehkonen (2m) Poehling (1,1m) Fleury (950k)

UFAs I brought back were Danault (5m) Gustafsson (1m) Perry (950k)

Chiarot was lost to Seattle

Drouin is on the team

Toffoli-Suzuki-Caufield
Drouin-KK-Anderson
Poehling-Evans-Perry
Ylonen

Edmunson-Petry
Romanov-Weber
Kulak-Gustaffson
Fleury

Price
Allen

Roster Cap hit = 74,44M

Cap Space = 7,057M

*This is not my ideal line-up. Just an initial rough sketch of what the team could look like and how much space we have for you guys to come up with ideas.

Nice approach I’d agree I think this is a good baseline to work from. From seeing this one player I’d like Berge to inquire about would be Martinez maybe on a 2 year deal. I personally would rather see Habs talk to Seattle for them to take Drouin, which would let us keep Chiarot and Allen.

So defense being:

Martinez Weber
Edmundson Petry
Chiarot Romanov
Kulak

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Would be great to add Hall so KK could play with a play driver. But I think he stays in Boston.

Evans-Suzuki-Caufield
Hall-KK-Toffoli
Armia-Staal-Perry
Byron

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Good question
I haven't seen him since the first game of the playoffs, lol. Have you?

Cap space has to come from somewhere...

Nop I haven't.. his contract is one of the worst in the league IMO. I'd rather trade him and bringing in Miles Wood.

That being said, I'm not a fan of Hall. Not at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad