Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Offseason (Cap - RFA/UFA) Thread

How many from that list will be back and playing next year ?

• Total voters

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Merrill I would keep. There's no reason to keep Gustafsson.

Given all 3 of Leskinen, Fleury and Brook could see NHL time next year, I'm not sure Merrill really fits in, unless there is a complete rebranding of the D. Weber, Petry, Chiarot and Edmundson are probably here to stay, unless one goes to Seattle. You also have Romanov of course, and Kulak is under contract for one more year. Not to mention Ouellet as an 8th/9th kind of depth guy. That means Merrill is likely 11th or 12th on the depth chart, so I don't see why he would sign here.

Of course, trades could occur. And I certainly hope Bergevin is active this off-season to strengthen the D. But bringing in a new top-4 guy definitely does nothing to help Merrill's place on the depth chart, as he would just fall further down.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Not much change eh? I don't see next year as the big year, I think it'll be the year after where the changes will come to fruition. Our D is about to get completely overhauled, Norlinder, Harris, Guhle etc are about to start challenging for roles and once that happens it'll be our time.

We're at least 4-5 years from having Romanov-Norlinder-Guhle-Harris as our main Ds, IF that even ever happens. By then, the only forwards who could be left are Caufield, KK and Suzuki, with probably Primeau in nets. This means a totally new team, and definitely no guarentee to be a top contender as too many things can change within that span of time. I really don't see why as fans we should be excited for this next installment of the Habs by 2024 or 2025, as there is absolutely no guarentees that this team would be better off that whatever we have now. If we had a McDavid, Crosby, Hedman, Ovechkin, etc. waiting in the wings I would agree with you, but we dont.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
If MB is still GM and if MB consults the HF experts, Danault, Armia, Tatar, Drouin, Weber, Chiarot, Edmundson, Kulak, Lekhonen, Staal and Price will be gone. Since most of them seem to have little to no value or are UFAs, lineup might be a bit thin but at least all these terrible terrible players will be gone.

I'm hoping they can sign Danault, Tatar, Armia and Lekhonen to decent contracts, get something for Drouin, find a way to keep Allen, top 9 for Caulfield, make room for Poehling and sign a puck moving D.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I would like Poehling to get one more full year in Laval developing as a center. I suppose if he shows in camp he may be able to be a 20 goal scoring winger, that will complicate things. But I want to Max our his development time as a center.

I could see Fleury being the next Juulsen or Mete - lost because he hadn't developed quick enough after being rushed.

Ylonen and RHP could also use another year in Laval.

Vejdemo, I'm indifferent to. Lehkonen an Armia bring more, if they're willing to take a pay cut.

My 2021-2022 lineup:

Caufield Kotkaniemi Gallagher
_________ Suzuki Toffoli
Tatar Danault Anderson
______ ________ Evans
______

Lehkonen and Armia can fill the 4th line slots if they're willing to take a pay cut. Perry can also come back. Maybe Stall too. As long as their salaries are sub 1M.

Edmundson Petry
Romanov Weber
Merrill Chiarot/Fleury

IMO
I can tell you why Montreal has failed the last few seasons. They need centres. I am sure many Montreal fans love KK and Suzuki as young pieces. great prospects.
As an outsider I love Montreals wing depth, D and goalies. I loved Julien as a coach.

They are not winning because they can not match up at centre.
look at all the OT loses. The team doesn't have a centre to roll out there like other teams.
Kotkaniemi no goals in 14 games
Suzuki 2 goals in 15 games
Danault 4 goals all year.
You can't win constructed like this unless Carey Price is the best player every night.

The good thing is when you have a known weakness it is easy to fix. Not sure why the GM has all these future picks and prospects saved up but refuses to acquire a top centre that would make all the difference.

The first thing a new GM would do is spend some surplus draft capital and tie it to a Drouin/Byron trade. Free some cap.
Then overpay if necessary to fill a need. it is hard to get a top 2 centre and often you have to overpay. But it is required.

Team is close, just needs some tweeks. Think about the Raptors trading Demar. They gave up Demar, a 1st and a top prospect.
It hurt but it was for the best.

Think Weber or Price, a 1st, and KK for a unquestioned #1 centre...would you do it? Raps did it for 1 year of Leonard and it ended in a championship.

Just my 2 cents

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
IMO
I can tell you why Montreal has failed the last few seasons. They need centres. I am sure many Montreal fans love KK and Suzuki as young pieces. great prospects.
As an outsider I love Montreals wing depth, D and goalies. I loved Julien as a coach.

They are not winning because they can not match up at centre.
look at all the OT loses. The team doesn't have a centre to roll out there like other teams.
Kotkaniemi no goals in 14 games
Suzuki 2 goals in 15 games
Danault 4 goals all year.
You can't win constructed like this unless Carey Price is the best player every night.

The good thing is when you have a known weakness it is easy to fix. Not sure why the GM has all these future picks and prospects saved up but refuses to acquire a top centre that would make all the difference.

The first thing a new GM would do is spend some surplus draft capital and tie it to a Drouin/Byron trade. Free some cap.
Then overpay if necessary to fill a need. it is hard to get a top 2 centre and often you have to overpay. But it is required.

Team is close, just needs some tweeks. Think about the Raptors trading Demar. They gave up Demar, a 1st and a top prospect.
It hurt but it was for the best.

Think Weber or Price, a 1st, and KK for a unquestioned #1 centre...would you do it? Raps did it for 1 year of Leonard and it ended in a championship.

Just my 2 cents

Which team. are you a fan of?

Yes I know we need centers. The thing is, our management just realized it. Kk and Suzuki did well in the bubble (in a VERY small sample size). Then at the draft, management actually said on record that they weren't looking to draft centers because we don't need centers :facepalm:. At least MB came out recently and said Kk and Suzuki haven't progressed the way they thought they would. So he's aware of the problem.

But will he do anything about it? I doubt it. He hasn't made big moves for an established center in the past.

As for Drouin and Byron, my gut tells me no GM takes on their contracts for a price in picks that MB is willing to pay. IF we see a good option to use their cap space on this summer, I'm in favor of just buying them out.

If we can't get a center, I'm ok with getting a play driving winger like Hall. But Hall wants to go to a winner, said he doesn't want to be the focal point...

My guess is we're stuck waiting until KK, Suzuki, or Poehling emerge.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
In a perfect world Drouin, Byron are the top 2 people that have to go. Not sure there are any takers for Drouin but Byron we can bury in Laval if need be. If we lose Allen to Seattle then I assume Primeau will be the back up. I would love for Weber to go but not sure if MB would have the cajones to do it. Danault if he’d take reasonable money I’d resign but anything over 3.5 I’d pass. Armia I’d let go as well. Obviously we need players to replace these guys but sometimes just cutting the dead weight is a plus in itself.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Which team. are you a fan of?

Yes I know we need centers. The thing is, our management just realized it. Kk and Suzuki did well in the bubble (in a VERY small sample size). Then at the draft, management actually said on record that they weren't looking to draft centers because we don't need centers :facepalm:. At least MB came out recently and said Kk and Suzuki haven't progressed the way they thought they would. So he's aware of the problem.

But will he do anything about it? I doubt it. He hasn't made big moves for an established center in the past.

As for Drouin and Byron, my gut tells me no GM takes on their contracts for a price in picks that MB is willing to pay. IF we see a good option to use their cap space on this summer, I'm in favor of just buying them out.

If we can't get a center, I'm ok with getting a play driving winger like Hall. But Hall wants to go to a winner, said he doesn't want to be the focal point...

My guess is we're stuck waiting until KK, Suzuki, or Poehling emerge.

IF, big IF
A new GM comes to town they will have no attachments to any prior acquisitions. Just an open opinion from day 1.
Bergy did great slowly building the teams draft and prospects capital and signed low risk FA prior to this past off season.

Bergy did poorly looking at the big picture and building for the now. To win now acquiring a top 6 centre a parting with some of his beloved prospects and picks was the way to go.

IF a new GM comes in there will be very few holes and lots of resources to plug it up.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
IF, big IF
A new GM comes to town they will have no attachments to any prior acquisitions. Just an open opinion from day 1.
Bergy did great slowly building the teams draft and prospects capital and signed low risk FA prior to this past off season.

Bergy did poorly looking at the big picture and building for the now. To win now acquiring a top 6 centre a parting with some of his beloved prospects and picks was the way to go.

IF a new GM comes in there will be very few holes and lots of resources to plug it up.

I'm not even thinking about a new GM. Stopped thinking about that about 7 years ago. When it happens, then I'll consider it.

Reactions: The Iceman

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
With Jake Evans and Cole Caufield playing so well lately, it's interesting to note the number of Habs players that could have a small salary next year and contribute to the team

Cole Caufield
Jake Evans
Alexander Romanov
Nick Suzuki
Corey Perry (if re-signed)
Artturi Lehkonen (if re-signed will have to take a paycut, likely signs around 1.5M)
Ryan Poehling
Lukas Vejdemo (should stick around as a 4th liner/extra forward)
Cale Fleury, Josh Brook or Otto Leskinen (one of them could make the club)
Cayden Primeau (backup or callup)

While a lot of people have been bashing on Price, Weber, Byron and Drouin for being overpaid, it's good to see that we can offset that with cheap contributors.

On that note, I don't think Kotkaniemi will be very expensive either. I could see him signing a ''show me'' deal for 1 or 2 seasons around $2M cap hit.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Armia is the only UFA I would keep, as he is a difference maker when on his game, we lack wingers, he is still fiairly young and probably will not be that expensive. 3 year $3.75M max. I like Danault and Tatar, but they will want too much money. Evans can replace Danault and it's time to give a chance to Poehling and all our young C to see what they can do.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Armia is the only UFA I would keep, as he is a difference maker when on his game, we lack wingers, he is still fiairly young and probably will not be that expensive. 3 year $3.75M max. I like Danault and Tatar, but they will want too much money. Evans can replace Danault and it's time to give a chance to Poehling and all our young C to see what they can do.

Armia has never had more than 30 pts, I can't see him getting that much money. He is not consistent and usually falls down to a 3rd/4th line guy following a hot streak. He also has trouble playing full seasons. I would give him 2.8 or 2.9 maximum.

As for Danault he is too important as a two-way 5-on-5 beast, I just can't see him being let go. They will pay him

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Yes, I think they will make the mistake of giving Danault a big contract. Big money contracts to players that do not deserve them is one of MB's biggest flaws as a GM. Desharnais, Emelin, Byron, old-man Plekanec, Drouin. Danault is next unfortunately. He should just be let go. You can't pay somebody that can't score, a problem that will not get better with time. Poehling has now shown that he has the potential to be a better player than Danault. Lettting Danault go will be a one-step back, two-step forward kind of move, but Montreal fans and GM probably don't have the patience for that, which is why we never really make any progress as an organization.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I'm not giving up on KK, but if the Habs head into next season counting on him to be a top 6 center that would be incredibly stupid. The habs are in this position of being meh because of how bad their center play is apart from Suzuki. I'd let Danault walk and try to find a veteran 2c that can reliably put up 50 points. KK can move up if he earns his spot, but no way am I hinging another seasons success on whether or not he becomes a consistent point producer.

Reactions: BLONG7

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Armia has never had more than 30 pts, I can't see him getting that much money. He is not consistent and usually falls down to a 3rd/4th line guy following a hot streak. He also has trouble playing full seasons. I would give him 2.8 or 2.9 maximum.

As for Danault he is too important as a two-way 5-on-5 beast, I just can't see him being let go. They will pay him

I like Danault as a 3rd line option but im starting to wonder if he’s a good fit for this team. His lack of production put alot of pressure on 2 very young center to produce and if that doesn’t happen then you’re in trouble like we have seen this year. If you want to be a contender next year you need to find at least one top 4 PMD and one top 2 Center imm.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Yes, I think they will make the mistake of giving Danault a big contract. Big money contracts to players that do not deserve them is one of MB's biggest flaws as a GM. Desharnais, Emelin, Byron, old-man Plekanec, Drouin. Danault is next unfortunately. He should just be let go. You can't pay somebody that can't score, a problem that will not get better with time. Poehling has now shown that he has the potential to be a better player than Danault. Lettting Danault go will be a one-step back, two-step forward kind of move, but Montreal fans and GM probably don't have the patience for that, which is why we never really make any progress as an organization.

Pageau signed for $5M and he is a good comparable for Danault. The Habs can't afford to lose him only to risk signing a Nielsen/Okposo/Lucic/Eriksson on the free agent market as a replacement. We have him here, let's keep him here. There's no point in switching.

With KK probably signed for around $2M, Evans/Poehling/Suzuki all cheap we can afford to pay Phil at center. He will be the veteran 3rd line two-way center every team needs to win the Cup. Signed for 5 years, that takes him to 33 years old, which is not that old. There is no reason to think Danault cannot perform like a great 3rd liner, and even fill on the 2nd line, for the next 5 years.

Poehling can start on the 4th line wing and we can go from there. For all we know, Kotkaniemi could be traded eventually or even moved to wings as he is not living up to his draft rank so far. I would be a lot more worried about KK than Danault. If we let Danault go and KK busts or is moved to wing, you're left with Suzuki-Evans-Poehling as your centers. That's moronic

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Blow it up. Let all the UFAs go. Try to get rid of Weber and Price somehow.

Toffoli-Suzuki-Gallagher
Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Caufield
Byron-Poehling-Anderson
Lehkonen-Evans-whoever

Same D and goalies probably (except whoever Seattle picks from us)

Embrace the pain. I'd try to sign a veteran stopgap 3C because the situation above is disastrous even if the goal is to bottom out.

Reactions: Habs13

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I like Danault as a 3rd line option but im starting to wonder if he’s a good fit for this team. His lack of production put alot of pressure on 2 very young center to produce and if that doesn’t happen then you’re in trouble like we have seen this year. If you want to be a contender next year you need to find at least one top 4 PMD and one top 2 Center imm.
Danault is actually a pretty ideal 3rd C option to go with KK and Suzuki. It just sucks KK hasn’t been able to supplant him yet. But I’d def resign him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Today is the final day for Habs to offer contracts to some of the prospects whose rights will expire tomorrow. There were 4 players Habs had to sign by June 1st this year.

1 - RHP: They signed him to his 2-Year ELC
2 - Ikonen: They will not offer him a contract
3 - LeGuerrier: don't expect them to sign him
4 - Ruscheinski: don't expect them to sign him

So out of the 2017 draft (Ikonen's draft), they signed Poehling, Brook, Fleury, and Primeau.
And out of the 2019 draft (RHP, LeGuerrier & Ruscheinski draft), they signed Caufield, Fairbrother, and RHP.
Picks in 2019 whose rights they still hold: Struble, Norlinder, Pitlick, and Dichow.

Reactions: WinterLion

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Ikonen is sad just because the potential was there but injuries were unfortunate.

LeGuerrier was a dumb pick and Ruscheiski is the worst pick/gesture in franchise history.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Today is the final day for Habs to offer contracts to some of the prospects whose rights will expire tomorrow. There were 4 players Habs had to sign by June 1st this year.

So out of the 2017 draft (Ikonen's draft), they signed Poehling, Brook, Fleury, and Primeau.
And out of the 2019 draft (RHP, LeGuerrier & Ruscheinski draft), they signed Caufield, Fairbrother, and RHP.
Picks in 2019 whose rights they still hold: Struble, Norlinder, Pitlick, and Dichow.

Nice list of players there... too bad about Ikonen, it happens

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

not a prospect any more but there's also Hudon who's rights will expire on June 30th.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->