Salary Cap: Habs 2020-2021 - Cap - RFA/UFA Thread

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by montreal, Jan 26, 2021.

1. montreal Go Habs Go

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    The cap is expected to stay at 81.5M next season

UFA's - cap hit
    Joel Armia - 2.6M
    Brandon Baddock - 700K
    Alex Belzile - 700K
    Phillip Danault - 3,083,333
    Laurent Dauphin - 700K
    Michael Frolik - 750K
    Erik Gustafsson - 1.5M
    Charlie Lindgren - 750K
    Jon Merrill - 925K
    Gustav Olofsson - 750k
    Corey Perry - 750K
    Eric Staal - 1.625M
    Thomas Tatar - 5.3M (4.8 for Habs)
    Lukas Vejdemo - 700K

RFA's -
    Joseph Blandisi - 700K
    Cale Fleury - 771,666K
    Jesperi Kotkaniemi - 925K
    Artturi Lekonen - 2.4M
    Jacob Lucchini - 700K
    Michael McNiven - 700K
    Michael Pezzetta - 743,333K
    Ryan Poehling - 925K

Signed elsewhere -
    Demechenko
    Otto Leskinen
    Weal

we are currently at 48 contracts

Last edited by moderator Treb: Jun 15, 2021 at 2:54 PM
  2. montreal Go Habs Go

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    players that need to be signed,

Gianni Fairbrother
    Rafael Harvey-Pinard
    Joni Ikonen
    Jacob LeGuerrier

also we have Hudon's rights till the summer

add in Caufield, hopefully Harris as players being signed.

currently Dichow has no team to play for next year

3. A Loyal Dog Woof!

SB Cash:
    $ 181,942
    Housedog
    I hope we can find a way to extend both Tatar and Danault to reasonable contracts. Next priority after them is Armia. The rest of the UFA: IDGAF.

As for our RFAs: bridge Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen (1-year cheaper deal), Fleury, Mete, and Poehling. Extend McNiven to backup Primeau in AHL. The rest: IDGAF.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  4. montreal Go Habs Go

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Alzner counts as 1,958,333 against the cap next season

if you were to buyout Byron next summer,

we would save 2,866,667M in cap space in year 1
    then we would save 1,666,667 in year 2
    then it would cost 1,133,333 in year 3
    then it would cost 1,133,333 in year 4

not saying we should or shouldn't buy him out, just posting the numbers, which clearly would help and we will badly need all the money we can get. Danault is rumored to be in the 5.5 to 5.75M per, Tatar likely wants more then that as a guess. KK should get a nice raise for sure and whatever money we spend we need to keep in mind Suzuki gets paid the following summer.

The Borque Supremacy likes this.
  5. The Great Weal Phil's Pizza

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think Danault will come down and we will sign him reasonably. I also think Tatar would take a discount with us because he seems to love it here(of course I though the same with Radulov). I don't know about Armia and I think Lehkonen will get less than his current contract. I don't think Kotkaniemi will get a crazy raise unless he really takes off this year. Not to mention that Seattle will take Chiarot/Edmundson.

We could realistically resign Danault and Tatar assuming they don't want to break the bank next year. Hopefully we get Poehling and Caufield performing well to have some ELCs in the lineup.

6. A Loyal Dog Woof!

SB Cash:
    $ 181,942
    Housedog
    I’m sure we can find a suitor for Byron. He’s still a very good player and great at PK.

7. montreal Go Habs Go

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    if you lose Allen, that's 2.875 added to about 15.5 for a little over 18M for 14 players.

If Danault, Tatar, KK, and Leks cost 17M, that's still only 18 players with very little cap space for a backup goalie and a 7th D

very good? depends on your definition and he's making 4M next year, so if no fans all season, some teams will be hurting for sure. currently he's played 90 games over the last 3 years and turns 32 next year. but we'll have to see how the season goes

Redux91 likes this.
  8. JeffreyLFC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I would give Seattle a 2nd round pick to select him at the expansion draft.

9. A Loyal Dog Woof!

SB Cash:
    $ 181,942
    Housedog
    I know I’m in the minority, but I would give Price to Seattle. Clears out a massive contract which won’t look good in a few years. I’m very confident in Primeau and I like Allen.

The faster we get rid of Price’s contract while he’s still good value, the better for us. It’s not like Weber who brings a lot of leadership and is great for the kids, etc. Price’s contract is just really bad and will cripple us sooner than later.

Also, with Price gone, we can add an Ovechkin/Hall/RNH for our LW or Hamilton for RD (if he’s willing), which will massively improve our roster. I can totally see Ovechkin play for the Habs, if we made him an offer...

Imagine:

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
    Ovechkin - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
    Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
    Poehling - Evans - Lehkonen

10. Redux91 I do Three bullets.

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Coppin Z's In the Bush
    Ehhhh were pretty good with our 2nd round picks tho lol

11. montreal Go Habs Go

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    NMC.

ItzaGreat likes this.
  12. A Loyal Dog Woof!

SB Cash:
    $ 181,942
    Housedog
    I have a feeling Price would be willing to move close to both his and his wife’s hometown.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL likes this.
  13. HabsWhiteKnightLOL Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 460,909
    being sick
    Once again people want to extend everybody and forget right away the expansion

14. Adam Michaels Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Not that desperate to move Byron.

angusyoung likes this.
  15. ItzaGreat How's your Mario impression?

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Mario impersonation
    I don't think Price wants to end his career in an expansion team tbh

angusyoung likes this.
  16. montreal Go Habs Go

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    24 players not under contract out of 47 for next year, off the top of my head that might be the highest I can remember, though it's still very early in the shortened season. Still it's likely that a lot of those 24 won't be back so will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

17. Miller Time Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    with the losses owners will take this year, next summer's UFA could be even more full of vets taking low term/low$ deals...

barring major trade to unload salary i'd like to see us get Danault/Armia re-signed (plus our key RFA's), then fill out the rest of the roster with Perry/Frolik-type vets

~19M in cap space for 6F/3D (assuming that one of Chiarot/Edmundson goes in the expansion draft)

5.5m/2-3 years - Danault
    2.8m/2 years - Armia
    2.8/2 years - lekhonen
    2.2m/2 years - JKO
    1m/1-2years - Poehling
    900k/1-2 years - Mete
    900k/ 1-2 years - Fleury

= ~16M... still leaves about 3M in cap to work with to replace Tatar... last year that would've been enough to land Granlund, so could be enough to get a decent replacement.

if Danault/Armia play ball and Seattle takes the bait, we could be sitting ok next summer.

Drouin - Suzuki - Anderson
    Granlund - JKO - Toffoli
    Lekhonen - Danault - Gallagher
    Poehling - Evans - Byron
    Perry-esque vet

Romanov - Weber
    Chia/Edm- Petry
    Mete - Kulak
    Fleury

Price
    Allen

18. Hugo Sham My attitude stinks, my hockey bag is even worse

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    i think they'll only sign Danault - and let tatar walk, so they don't have to protect him...maybe they circle back on him as a UFA...but they'll only sign one of them in-season

A Loyal Hot Dog likes this.
  19. Scriptor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I assume it will stay at 81.5M but, I think that what is more important is that it will remain a flat Cap. What that means is it won't be directly linked to the actual 50\50 split called upon by the CBA. I've heard it mentioned that, under this structure, there might be a 1M raise in the Cap ceiling to 82.5M to offer some relief for Cap-strapped teams. The league would rather do this than allow for amnesty buyouts again, from what I heard.

Still, we'll go with a Cap at 81.5M for this exercise...

Unless I'm wrong, Lehkonen can't be offered less than he is currently making, plus he's arbitration eligible, if I'm not mistaken.

Don't see that happening.

Personally, since we need to make some Cap space, whatever happens in the next two years, as both Suzuki and Romanov will need to be extended after next season, once Kotkaniemi has been extended after this season, I think it's a question of choices.

Do you want stronger depth in Danault and Tatar than Armia and Lehkonen? Byron is basically an anchor of a contract for a player relegated to 4th line duties and specialty team missions on the PK when there are half a dozen other candidates to adequately pull off this missions on the roster already!

My answer is a resounding YES!

I would opt to move all three of Byron, Armia and Lehkonen (in diminishing Cap order) in the short term and consider trading Kulak as well to provide the necessary short term Cap relief.

It's quality depth, IMO, but not depth that can't be replaced, in a 4th line role, for the most part, from within for cheaper.

Byron (3.4M)
    Armia (2.6M)
    Lehkonen (2.4M)

IMO, while genuine quality depth, all three players, except for Armia, are overpaid for their current roles on the team but, both Armia and Lehkonen will expect raises this offseason. Of the two, Armia has more leverage but, I can't see Lehkonen getting less than 2.75M either. How much will Armia expect, especially if he performs well with KK and Tofolli?

Within the system, who can replace these three at a much cheaper Cap hit?

Byron's younger clone is, essentially, Ylonen, hell on skates (not wheels), defensively sound and boasting offensive upside as well.

Lehkonen can be replaced by Poehling, who will be on a cheap second contract since he has not even been a regular to date in the NHL with his contract due to be extended at the same time as Kotkaniemi in the offseason. If nothing else, Poehling can play defensively and bring that to a 4th line, with a little more physicality than Lehkonen at the same time.

For a third line role alongside Toffoli and Kotkaniemi, Caufield might be up to the task on an ELC with no more than two Level 'A' bonuses, much like Suzuki's ELC. Montreal, at the most, would be on the hook for 1.350M should Caufield earn all of the 425K he can aim for in bonuses.

Poehling signing a bridge one-way contract at 1M and Ylonen at 925K, plus Evans at a reasonable contract for a 4th line (I don't see Evans getting any of the two Level 'A' bonuses he can aim for) would free up plenty of Cap space.

There would be 5.125M left over to address raises to Tatar, Danault and Kotkaniemi this coming offseason. At an average of 5.5M for both of Danault and Tatar, whichever way you want to slice that 11M pie, 3.2M would be coming off the 5.125M left.

That would leave strictly 1.925M to bridge Kotkaniemi which, in my mind, would be inadequate. Montreal would need to move Kulak as well to find the extra margin for a reasonable bridge contract nowhere less than 3.5M for a couple of seasons.

Replacing Kulak with an ELC contract at 925K would free up an extra 925K and leave Bergevin with 3.775M to address Kotkaniemi's situation.

Of course, Montreal could move a contract like Chiarot's or Edmundson's instead to free up more Cap space but, the marginal savings that would be added wouldn't provide enough Cap room to do more than bridge Kotkaniemi anyhow.

It's the following season that we would move on (more easily) from Chiarot or from Edmundson, plus Allen, at that point, to free up close to 4.5M once replacements were factored in. We might be forced to also move whichever of Chiarot or Edmundson wasn't initially moved, depending on what opportunities could be negotiated with either Suzuki or Romanov, long term deal VS short bridge contract. The 7.075M, after replacement value for the other veteran D was factored in, could provide many more options; longer bridge contracts, a long term and a shorter term bridge contract, etc.

Other contracts will come off the books shortly thereafter; Drouin at the end of the following season, Tofolli the one right after, Petry a year after that, Weber at any point once he starts earning just 1M in real money for the final three years of his contract, etc.

There's a lot of work to be done, including potentially trading players based on the roster's developing situation along the way.

The Cap will not be an albatross if Bergevin manages it well going forward but, that includes being able to re-sign both Tatar and Danault.

20. Scriptor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    Since we will likely have to trade all three of Byron, Armia and Lehkonen at some point, I'd consider letting Armia go after a sussessful playoff push with the Finn this postseason and convincing Seattle to take Byron by leaving Lehkonen unprotected for them.

8.4M gone from the books. Poehling (1M), Ylonen (925K) and Caufield (1.35M with two Level 'A' bonuses triggered on an ELC) as replacements.

Enough to re-sign Tatar and Danault and almost enough to re-sign Kotkaniemi to a 3.5M bridge contract. Trading Kulak and replacing him with a 925K ELC (Norlinder, Harris, Struble or Guhle) would do. ore than the job for KK's bridge contract at 3.775M left over.

Buying out Byron is always an option but, if it ever gets there, I think we might easily find a suitor by holding back the buyout amount of 1.133M in Cap and paying that out only for the two remaining years of his contract to the team that takes him in a trade. Byron at 2,27M might actually be quite attractive to some teams out there?

21. CHfan1 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I haven’t seen they’ll increase it give the teams relief, do you have a source on that.

Currently there is a set formula in the newest CBA for calculating the cap number. I’d expect it would stay the same with revenues way down and so much money going into escrow for the players to repay in future years.

From the CBA regarding the cap:

Thereafter (subject to the provisions above regarding the Extension Year):
    • Upper Limit will remain at $81.5 Million until Preliminary HRR for the just completed League Year surpasses $3.3 Billion.

• For any League Year where Preliminary HRR is between $3.3 Billion and $4.8 Billion, the Upper Limit for the following League Year shall be between $81.5 Million and $82.5 Million on a pro rata basis (e.g., if Preliminary HRR is $4.05 Billion, the Upper Limit will be $82 Million).

• Once Preliminary HRR for the immediately preceding League Year surpasses $4.8 Billion, the Upper Limit will increase by $1 Million per League Year until the Escrow Balance is paid off.

• The parties can agree to increase the Upper Limit in excess of $1 Million in order to allow for a smoother transition into the ‘Lag’ formula.

• The parties agree to discuss the Upper Limit in good faith in the event projected or Actual HRR decreases on a year over year basis.

The above will be what the NHL uses to increase the Cap until escrow is repaid. Which could be after this CBA ends which is 2026.

CBA below

https://media.nhl.com/site/asset/public/ext/NHLPA_NHL_MOU.pdf

22. Supersonkic Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    So to even look a step further at 2022/2023, the Habs have about $24.5MM to sign:

- KK
    - Suzuki
    - Romanov

If they bridge KK that's still probably at least half of that gone, not included whoever we lose to the expansion in case that helps. IMO MB's biggest focus this offseason should be signing Tatar to a 2-3 year deal that doesn't handcuff them and keep the offense going. Fill in ELCs/cheap contracts where possible

23. Kudo Shinichi Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    I think for sure we will re-sign Danault, but not Tatar.
    We will probably want to re-sign Armia as well.

Next year:
    Caufield - Suzuki - Anderson
    Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Toffoli
    Poehling/Armia - Danault - Gallagher
    Byron - Evans - Lehkonen

Caufield replaces Tatar, and Poehling replaces Armia if not re-signed.

Tolly80 likes this.
  24. BaseballCoach Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    CapFriendly shows Ruscheinski as needing to be signed too. Is he committed to a college for next year and they don't know it?

25. angusyoung Γεια χαρά

SB Cash:
    $ 100,000
    self employed?
    I can see a scenario where MB has a verbal agreement with TT to circumvent the issue of protecting prior to expansion draft takes place and he resigns when UFA opens.:crossfing