Speculation: Habs 2019-2020 - RFA/UFA Thread

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm wondering about McShane, do we even bother offering him a contract or just cut him loose next June? Same goes for Fonstad.

They'll need to decide who they cut their losses with and who they want to keep because aside from the CHL guys, they will be signing Romanov and Ylönen from the Euros.

At this moment, the prospects I'm expecting them to sign:

- Romanov
- Ylönen
- Hillis
- Houde
- RHP (could be an AHL deal for one year before signing an ELC).

Reactions: jaffy27

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Hillis now with 32 assists on the year and only 4 back of the league leader but Rossi ('20) did it in 4 less games.

In 6 less games this year, Hillis has just about doubled last years production,

2019-2020 - 27-10-32-42 +23, 12 pims
2018-2019 - 33-10-12-22 -10, 27 pims
I’m curious on who do we think of the CHL guys gets a contract...Hillis, Mcshane, Fonstad, Houde, RHP

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
BTW, I was very harsh on Houde but he stepped up big time since the beginning of the year, and not just stats wise, his implication, his defensive play and his speed are greatly improved.

Great to hear! With the way he's playing, i'm assuming the Habs will want to sign him. This was probably not the case at this time last year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Great to hear! With the way he's playing, i'm assuming the Habs will want to sign him. This was probably not the case at this time last year.

it's really hard to say as we don't know what the Habs are looking at. With so many players that could be let go and not re-signed it's wide open but we don't know who they will look to bring back and who they won't which then makes it much harder to guess which out of the group they will or won't sign outside of Hillis who looks like a slam dunk to sign but the rest it could go either way except for Henriksson as he won't be signed of course.

The Houde situation reminds me of Walford last year, I didn't care for Walford in his D+1 but he had a strong D+2 and I thought they would sign him since we need LD's. I was wrong. Houde has had terrible production until this year, so is it enough to get signed, I don't know. Out of Fonstad, McShane and Houde, it's hard to say since we don't know who else they will sign (Romanov, Harris, Ylonen, etc..) but if it were me as of today I would consider signing Fonstad over the other 2 but all 3 likely just don't end up doing much.

I like Fonstad's skill level but his lack of physical strength, how easy he is to knock off the puck are troubling. If we had a lot of room I would consider signing him and hope as he matures into his body over the next few years that he can develop his game better.

McShane I was never a big fan of outside of his shot and some decent play making. I wouldn't sign him as I also didn't like the work ethic on the ice, too many red flags for me but I do think he could be a good ECHLer to maybe a good AHLer if he works on his skating.

Houde is the toughest as he has the skating that McShane doesn't but I tend to be leery of CHLers that break out at 19 or 20 (Alain). I would be fine if they don't sign him but he still has time to make his case. Also I've seen very little of him this year, just the 2 CHL - Russia Series games where he did next to nothing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
here's how the prospects that need to be signed rank in points and ppg this season,

Hillis - 33-12-36-48
Houde - 36-17-28-45
Fonstad - 32-7-36-43
McShane - 33-15-22-37

ranked by ppg,

Hillis - 1.45
Fonstad - 1.34
Houde - 1.25
McShane - 1.12

some notes,

Hillis - needs 1 more goal to be tied for 2nd on the team, he leads the team in assists, his linemate Gogolev is 2nd with 30 and the next highest has 15. Hillis's 36 assists are 10 more then the 3rd leading scorer of the team has points (Eric Uba, 26 pts)

Fonstad - Even though he played in only 66% of Everett's games this season, he leads the team in assists with 29 in 23 games and the next two highest have 23 and 19 while playing in several more games. He has more assists then all but 3 players have points. He's 2 pts back of being tied for 2nd on the team in points. Needs to shoot more though, just 7 goals in 32 games after getting 29 last year. He's clearly more of a playmaker but still you need to pot more then 7.

Houde - Having a breakout year, leads his team in assists and points, 2nd in goals behind his linemate RHP. He has 1 more assist then the 3rd leading scorer has points (Marcotty, 27 pts)

McShane - not having the season we had hoped and he'll need to pick it up a lot if he wants an NHL contract but his numbers in context look a little better when you look at his team. He's currently 2nd on the team across the board, goals, assists and points behind overager Neumann in goals and points and another overager MacLean in assists.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
here's how the prospects that need to be signed rank in points and ppg this season,

Hillis - 33-12-36-48
Houde - 36-17-28-45
Fonstad - 32-7-36-43
McShane - 33-15-22-37

ranked by ppg,

Hillis - 1.45
Fonstad - 1.34
Houde - 1.25
McShane - 1.12

some notes,

Hillis - needs 1 more goal to be tied for 2nd on the team, he leads the team in assists, his linemate Gogolev is 2nd with 30 and the next highest has 15. Hillis's 36 assists are 10 more then the 3rd leading scorer of the team has points (Eric Uba, 26 pts)

Fonstad - Even though he played in only 66% of Everett's games this season, he leads the team in assists with 29 in 23 games and the next two highest have 23 and 19 while playing in several more games. He has more assists then all but 3 players have points. He's 2 pts back of being tied for 2nd on the team in points. Needs to shoot more though, just 7 goals in 32 games after getting 29 last year. He's clearly more of a playmaker but still you need to pot more then 7.

Houde - Having a breakout year, leads his team in assists and points, 2nd in goals behind his linemate RHP. He has 1 more assist then the 3rd leading scorer has points (Marcotty, 27 pts)

McShane - not having the season we had hoped and he'll need to pick it up a lot if he wants an NHL contract but his numbers in context look a little better when you look at his team. He's currently 2nd on the team across the board, goals, assists and points behind overager Neumann in goals and points and another overager MacLean in assists.
Nice list. I wonder which if any will get signed? I wonder at what ppg a 19-year-old CHLer is likely to make the NHL?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nice list. I wonder which if any will get signed? I wonder at what ppg a 19-year-old CHLer is likely to make the NHL?

Hillis gets signed for sure, after that it's a tougher call since we need to know what UFA/RFA's won't be back and what the plans are for guys that don't have to be signed but could be in Caufield, Romanov, Ylonen, Harris, RHP, Fairbrother, Khisamutdinov, Norlinder, Ikonen. Since there's only so many spots but we could have a lot of turnover unless MB wants to bring back most of the UFA's/RFA's but I don't think that will be the case so next is the big question of who else they plan on signing and that is much tougher to guess.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
UFA's - cap hit

Dale Weise - 2.35M OUT
Keith Kinkaid - 1.75M OUT
Matthew Peca - 1.3M OUT
Nate Thompson - 1M OUT
Christian Folin - 800K OUT
Alex Belzile - 700K OUT
Phil Varone - 700K OUT

RFA's - cap hit

Max Domi - 3.15M Keep
Nick Cousins - 1M Keep
Jake Evans - 925K Keep
David Sklenicka - 925K Out
Noah Juulsen - 863,333K Out
Charles Hudon - 800K Out
Lukas Vejdemo - 792,500K Keep
Victor Mete - 748,333K Keep
Antoine Waked - 726,667K Keep ahl or out
Riley Barber - 700K Out
Michael McCarron - 700K Out
Xavier Ouellet - 700K Keep ahl or out
Gustav Olofsson - 700K Keep
Michael McNiven - 682,222K Out

for me Juulsen is done.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
UFA's - cap hit

Dale Weise - 2.35M OUT
Matthew Peca - 1.3M OUT
Nate Thompson - 1M OUT
Alex Belzile - 700K OUT
Phil Varone - 700K OUT

RFA's - cap hit

Max Domi - 3.15M Keep
Nick Cousins - 1M Keep
Jake Evans - 925K Keep
Charles Hudon - 800K Out
Riley Barber - 700K Out

for me Juulsen is done.
They may trade some guys too like Thompson if they don't plan to keep him.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Hillis - 33-12-36-48
Houde - 36-17-28-45
Fonstad - 32-7-36-43
McShane - 33-15-22-37

ranked by ppg,

Hillis - 1.45
Fonstad - 1.34
Houde - 1.25
McShane - 1.12

some notes,

So who gets signed and who’s let go in your opinion?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm hoping Montreal extends Barber. He's starting to prove he's a good AHL vet. If Hudon is fine with likely being in the AHL most of the time, but like all of the time, give him a 1 year extension.

Reactions: Archijerej

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm hoping Montreal extends Barber. He's starting to prove he's a good AHL vet. If Hudon is fine with likely being in the AHL most of the time, but like all of the time, give him a 1 year extension.

Definitely wouldn't be against that. They're both RFAs, too.

Evans, Hudon, Barber, McCarron, Vejdemo, Juulsen, Ouellet, and Olofsson will be RFAs this year. McNiven, as well.

Belzile, Varone, and Kinkaid will be UFAs. Varone was starting to get hot before he got hurt. He only has 4 points in 11 games, but 3 of those 4 points were in the 3 games before his injury. And more than that, he was playing really well. Can't wait for him to return.

There will also be new prospects who will start their pro careers.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hudon still has a good year or two of development. He had 30 points in his rookie year and can potentially put up 50 points 1 year in the NHL. I believe. But probably won't happen.
No probably about it.............it will not happen. He is a good AHL guy and that's it. 50 pt players in the NHL on the Habs alone, are guys like Tatar and Gally. Hudon was lucky MB gave him 800k one way contract. He will be in Europe soon, I would think.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
No probably about it.............it will not happen. He is a good AHL guy and that's it. 50 pt players in the NHL on the Habs alone, are guys like Tatar and Gally. Hudon was lucky MB gave him 800k one way contract. He will be in Europe soon, I would think.
If Hudon had another gear he would be in the NHL. He simply doesn't skate well enough

Reactions: BLONG7

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
UFA's - cap hit

Dale Weise - 2.35M OUT
Matthew Peca - 1.3M OUT
Nate Thompson - 1M OUT
Alex Belzile - 700K OUT
Phil Varone - 700K OUT

RFA's - cap hit

Max Domi - 3.15M Keep
Nick Cousins - 1M Keep
Jake Evans - 925K Keep
Charles Hudon - 800K Out
Riley Barber - 700K Out

for me Juulsen is done.

Thompson, Belzile, Hudon, Ouellet and McNiven are all in the keep pile afaic

Praetorian

Dec 31, 2019
I feel like it is pretty much over for Mcshane. Not that his numbers are horrible or anything, but the other CHL prospects showed more in term of progression and production imo. It is pretty hard to see him get a contract, barring any late surge.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I feel like it is pretty much over for Mcshane. Not that his numbers are horrible or anything, but the other CHL prospects showed more in term of progression and production imo. It is pretty hard to see him get a contract, barring any late surge.

Skating isn't good enough for his production

Reactions: Praetorian

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I had moderately high hopes for McShane but watching him this year the progression just hasn't been there. It's too bad cause he's got good puck skills and some upside to him but his skating really holds him back. I still agree with the pick though FWIW, you could justify taking a chance on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad