Speculation: Habs 2019-2020 - RFA/UFA Thread

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
That's on MB and Money Mol$on...they have created a culture of losing, and no accountability...players talk, it's obvious.

MB's line, you want loyalty, buy a dog in reference to Markov's situation, resonated around the league that a clown GM could do this to a 15-16 yr vet, with 990 games on one team.

The Habs will be screwed via the ufa route until someone removes the cancer, who caused it.

I don’t think players care about the Markov thing.

I think we just aren’t a good enough team

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Cap friendly lists dead cap space of over $5m attributed to Alzner $$3.3, Peca $.2m and $weise $1.2m followed by the mason buyout of $1.3m . Cap space is $5.5m so looks like $10m to redistribute. Next year $4m will go to domi. The year after Gally, Petry , Tatar and KK will be due a raise. Question is who will not be resigned after 20-21? Thoughts?

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
That 2020-2021 summer will be interesting . Gally will at a minimum double his salary , KK will be due a raise that could be quite expensive if he has a good 2 years .
Tatar could resign for cheap or walk
Petry will be an interesting case ... mid 30s but he has been great . Let him walk or overpay

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
So, who's coming over next year?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't think Norlinder will be brought over. There are SHL teams interested in signing him. And I would think Montreal would rather let him develop in the SHL before bringing him over here.

In terms of European prospects, I think Romanov and Ylönen are the priorities. Olofsson is still under contract next year, so I think they will let him stay there another year. And we'll see how it goes for Ikonen. They have his rights until June 2021. But he's barely played the last two years. So I don't know if they want to let him play the year before making a decision. Or if they choose to sign him and bring him over where they can also monitor him more closely.

We also have to keep in mind the NCAA and CHL prospects who may be signed, particularly the CHL ones whose rights expire this year (McShane, Hillis, Houde, and Fonstad). There are also RHP and Khisamutdinov, who Timmins pretty much said the reason they drafted them was so they don't get in line in a year to convince them to sign here as free agents. So chances are they will be coming in. However, they hold Khisamutdinov's rights for a while longer and an option they have with RHP is sign him to an AHL deal next year and his ELC after.

Reactions: Runner77

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Cole Fonstad will not be signed at the end of the year. Or if he is, it will be in a AHL contract. He just doesn't have what it takes to translate his game to whatever pro game obviously not the NHL.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Cole Fonstad will not be signed at the end of the year. Or if he is, it will be in a AHL contract. He just doesn't have what it takes to translate his game to whatever pro game obviously not the NHL.

I agree. I think right now, between Hillis, McShane, Houde, and Fonstad, I think Fonstad is the one who doesn't get signed.

I remember at the Rookie Showdown, Fonstad was the most invisible. Houde was injured and didn't play. But even if McShane and Hillis didn't exactly jump out at you, they did do things out there where you noticed them.

Reactions: Whitesnake

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Thats what Ive been saying for a while, both Fonstad and McShane are likely gone... Fonstad because he is a big time softie, McShane because he barely improved his skating since his draft day... Cant sign them all with all the picks we have...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
There should be a number of open contract spots this summer. I would expect MB to trade some '20 picks for '21 picks like he did last draft. Maybe one or two get AHL contracts instead of NHL ones.

We need to see what the plans are for other players as well, Caufield, Romanov, Harris, etc...

I think Hillis gets signed. McShane if they think he can improve his skating maybe he gets signed. Fairbrother likely gets signed. Fonstad I could see him getting signed but wouldn't be concerned if they didn't. Houde I would have said no way last year, now i'm not sure. RHP either gets signed or gets an AHL deal. LeGuerrier is a tougher one as I would guess he'll be back in the OHL as an overager.

Ylonen, Khisamutdinov, Ikonen I don't know what their plans are. Olofsson is under contract next year in the SHL so I assume baring him tearing it up he stays there. Norlinder is a real tough one, you get 4 years before you have to sign him so wouldn't be bad if he were to play in the SHL next year but he's so skilled they may want him in Laval next year.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
This is probably too early to post, but when I look at our forward prospects from the past two drafts it doesn't seem like we will have room to sign them all.

If I'm not mistaken the following jr players to be signed after this season or we lose their rights:
Hillis
McShane
Houde
Fonstad
Harvey-Pinard

On top of that, Caufield seems like a lock to be signed out of college and Ylonen and Olofsson are possibilities from Europe as well.

I don't see the space in our system to accommodate up to seven 1st year pro's (and that's just counting forwards). For those of you who follow our jr prospects closely, how do you see this playing out? I think they'll want to keep Hillis for sure, but not sure who out of the rest will be deserving of contracts at the end of the season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This is probably too early to post, but when I look at our forward prospects from the past two drafts it doesn't seem like we will have room to sign them all.

If I'm not mistaken the following jr players to be signed after this season or we lose their rights:
Hillis
McShane
Houde
Fonstad
Harvey-Pinard

On top of that, Caufield seems like a lock to be signed out of college and Ylonen and Olofsson are possibilities from Europe as well.

I don't see the space in our system to accommodate up to seven 1st year pro's (and that's just counting forwards). For those of you who follow our jr prospects closely, how do you see this playing out? I think they'll want to keep Hillis for sure, but not sure who out of the rest will be deserving of contracts at the end of the season.
RHP has another year so he may get an AHL contract for next year instead.

I see Hillis, Houde, Caudield and Ylonen signed. Probably only 1 of Fonstad or Mcshane. Ikonen the year after if he stays healthy.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
RHP has another year so he may get an AHL contract for next year instead.

I see Hillis, Houde, Caudield and Ylonen signed. Probably only 1 of Fonstad or Mcshane. Ikonen the year after if he stays healthy.

Still, the potential for six new forwards on the Rocket seems like a lot. Then again, it will likely be the last year for a number of forwards in Laval, or who should be in Laval (McCarron, Hudon, Weisse, Peca). Laval will be a much different looking team next year, but I guess that's the nature of the business.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Still, the potential for six new forwards on the Rocket seems like a lot. Then again, it will likely be the last year for a number of forwards in Laval, or who should be in Laval (McCarron, Hudon, Weisse, Peca). Laval will be a much different looking team next year, but I guess that's the nature of the business.

We are supposed to have a ECHL team next year, so some may end up there.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Dont see Fonstad and McShane being signed at all, they will remains unsigned like Walford and Tyszka... On the other side, Hillis and Houde should get contracts...

If we get our ECHL team, they might get AHL contracts so we can see what they got at the pro level.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I know David St Louis posted an article on McShane saying the production just isn't there.

McShane was off to a hot start. But he slowed down a bit lately. He's still putting up points (26 pts in 25 GP (2nd top scorer on is team)), but he was having consistent multi-point games earlier on. Now he will put up 2 points here and there, but he's mostly having one point a game and going pointless every other game.

But that is all production related. I haven't watched McShane this year yet so I can't speak to his overall game. Despite slowing down production wise, it doesn't mean he's not playing well and contributing to his team's success.

But David St. Louis is someone I trust when it comes to prospects. He does a real good job breaking things down for the reader.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Hillis
McShane
Houde
Fonstad
Harvey-Pinard

i moved it here since we have been talking about it, so go back a few posts if you want to see others opinions. We should have a lot of open spots this summer so we'll see what the plans are. There's Romanov, Ylonen, Norlinder, Harris, any of these guys could sign with us. I assume Ikonen will stay in Liiga and Olofsson in the SHL. Will be a very interesting off-season, although I wouldn't mind if any players stay where they are since we can't rush them to the NHL if they aren't here.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Saw McShane live tonight and was not impressed at all. No pace to his game and mediocre skating. Got plenty of PP ice but mostly killed plays with poor decision making.

I'm wondering about McShane, do we even bother offering him a contract or just cut him loose next June? Same goes for Fonstad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->