Speculation: Habs 2019-2020 - RFA/UFA Thread

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I forgot we were paying Sklenicka close to a million, Seriously is he bringing that value to Laval?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Juulsen will surely be placed on IR, removing him from the 25. If he is placed on IR, his cap isn't removed so he's still count against the cap.

So that leaves one cut. My question now, was today the last day teams can waive players in order to clear or get claimed in time for the roster deadline tomorrow evening? Or can a player be waived tomorrow and becomes exempt from the roster and cap even though we won't know if they clear or not after the deadline?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Juulsen will surely be placed on IR, removing him from the 25. If he is placed on IR, his cap isn't removed so he's still count against the cap.

So that leaves one cut. My question now, was today the last day teams can waive players in order to clear or get claimed in time for the roster deadline tomorrow evening? Or can a player be waived tomorrow and becomes exempt from the roster and cap even though we won't know if they clear or not after the deadline?

I assume since Juulsen is skating that he must be doing better, so at some point he should be back I would think, if so then someone will have to go down or be traded which in turn would give us more cap space unless he doesn't get better but then he would be moved to LITR.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
The Habs as of today have 4,646,192M in cap space with a roster of 25 players so that number will increase baring any trades.

They currently have 48 contracts.

UFA's - cap hit

Dale Weise - 2.35M
Keith Kinkaid - 1.75M
Matthew Peca - 1.3M
Nate Thompson - 1M
Christian Folin - 800K
Alex Belzile - 700K
Phil Varone - 700K

RFA's - cap hit

Max Domi - 3.15M
Nick Cousins - 1M
Jake Evans - 925K
David Sklenicka - 925K
Noah Juulsen - 863,333K
Charles Hudon - 800K
Lukas Vejdemo - 792,500K
Victor Mete - 748,333K
Antoine Waked - 726,667K
Riley Barber - 700K
Michael McCarron - 700K
Xavier Ouellet - 700K
Gustav Olofsson - 700K
Michael McNiven - 682,222K

75% of these guys are gonezo next year. If Domi has a dream year again, he gets a big pay raise while Mete signs a bridge deal. Kinkaid and Cousins might be resigned based on performance. Evans likely gets a roster spot a year from now, so he gets a bridge deal as well.

The only other guys that the organization may be tempted to hold on to are McCaron, Juulsen and Vejdemo, first rounders that didn't quite make it. Who knows, they may be used as bargaining chips in trades.

As for the rest, I don't see many accepting 2 way type deals to play in the AHL but you never know.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
5,571,192 in cap space with Poehling going down, still 1 more to go so the cap space will go up a little more at some point.

75% of these guys are gonezo next year. If Domi has a dream year again, he gets a big pay raise while Mete signs a bridge deal. Kinkaid and Cousins might be resigned based on performance. Evans likely gets a roster spot a year from now, so he gets a bridge deal as well.

The only other guys that the organization may be tempted to hold on to are McCaron, Juulsen and Vejdemo, first rounders that didn't quite make it. Who knows, they may be used as bargaining chips in trades.

As for the rest, I don't see many accepting 2 way type deals to play in the AHL but you never know.

They will need to open a number of spots in Laval depending on how many players they sign.

Hillis, McShane, Fonstad, Fairbrother, RHP, Houde, LeGuerrie, Romanov, Khisamutdinov, Ylonen, Ikonen, Harris, Norlinder. Not saying all will be signed of course but that is a very large group and you still would want some vets to go with all these young players so it should be interesting to see what the plan is.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
5,571,192 in cap space with Poehling going down, still 1 more to go so the cap space will go up a little more at some point.

They will need to open a number of spots in Laval depending on how many players they sign.

Hillis, McShane, Fonstad, Fairbrother, RHP, Houde, LeGuerrie, Romanov, Khisamutdinov, Ylonen, Ikonen, Harris, Norlinder. Not saying all will be signed of course but that is a very large group and you still would want some vets to go with all these young players so it should be interesting to see what the plan is.

Not all those guys will get contracts! And several will get contracts but still play CHL.

Regardless, it’s a good problem to have! Big year for our prospect pool and lots can change in 12 months

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not all those guys will get contracts! And several will get contracts but still play CHL.

Regardless, it’s a good problem to have! Big year for our prospect pool and lots can change in 12 months

you won't have several get contracts and play in the CHL, since they will count against the 50 from the above list. Maybe 1 but in most cases they should be in the ECHL over playing in the CHL as overagers. I would have been fine with someone like Tyszka going back to the WHL if they had signed him since he missed so much time to injury.

The Habs haven't had many guys play in the CHL as overagers under contract. Thrower was one, don't recall any others off the top of my head from the Timmins years. I know a lot of posters wanted Crisp to go back to the OHL and that would have made sense since he missed a lot of time to injury. The last one I can think of before that was Christian Larrivee ('00).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
you won't have several get contracts and play in the CHL, since they will count against the 50 from the above list. Maybe 1 but in most cases they should be in the ECHL over playing in the CHL as overagers. I would have been fine with someone like Tyszka going back to the WHL if they had signed him since he missed so much time to injury.

The Habs haven't had many guys play in the CHL as overagers under contract. Thrower was one, don't recall any others off the top of my head from the Timmins years. I know a lot of posters wanted Crisp to go back to the OHL and that would have made sense since he missed a lot of time to injury. The last one I can think of before that was Christian Larrivee ('00).

Most of the prospects listed in the post I replied to won’t get contracts.

Also, what’s the contract number for next year as it stands today? 30 with Domi, Juulsen, And Mete? That’s 20 spots open and pretty good flexibility if I got that number right

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Most of the prospects listed in the post I replied to won’t get contracts.

Also, what’s the contract number for next year as it stands today? 30 with Domi, Juulsen, And Mete? That’s 20 spots open and pretty good flexibility if I got that number right

We'll see as we don't know what the plan is for the Euro guys. Ikonen has another year before he has to be signed so I would be surprised if they sign him at the end of the season since he'll be out for most of the year if not all. Norlinder's contract is up but they don't have to sign him so they could leave him over there to play in the SHL or they may want him in Laval. Ylonen doesn't need to be signed but if he has a strong year I would think he will get signed. Romanov I assume is signed, Khisamutdinov I know MB said after the draft they would look to bring him over as his contract is up but perhaps they will wait and see what kind of season he has. I assume Olofsson stays in the SHL for another year.

Then you have Caufield and Harris, I could see Caufield turning pro and if Harris has a good enough season he may want to sign as well.

That leaves the CHLers, Fairbrother I think gets signed easily unless he has a really bad season. One or maybe two of Hillis, McShane, Fonstad and LeGuerrier get signed I would think but we need to see what kind of season they have. RHP I assume they sign him unless he has a bad year maybe he gets an AHL contract.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
We'll see as we don't know what the plan is for the Euro guys. Ikonen has another year before he has to be signed so I would be surprised if they sign him at the end of the season since he'll be out for most of the year if not all. Norlinder's contract is up but they don't have to sign him so they could leave him over there to play in the SHL or they may want him in Laval. Ylonen doesn't need to be signed but if he has a strong year I would think he will get signed. Romanov I assume is signed, Khisamutdinov I know MB said after the draft they would look to bring him over as his contract is up but perhaps they will wait and see what kind of season he has. I assume Olofsson stays in the SHL for another year.

Then you have Caufield and Harris, I could see Caufield turning pro and if Harris has a good enough season he may want to sign as well.

That leaves the CHLers, Fairbrother I think gets signed easily unless he has a really bad season. One or maybe two of Hillis, McShane, Fonstad and LeGuerrier get signed I would think but we need to see what kind of season they have. RHP I assume they sign him unless he has a bad year maybe he gets an AHL contract.

I think if we have 20 open contract spots with a pretty full NHL roster, we are in good shape and prepared to sign several prospects if we have to

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think if we have 20 open contract spots with a pretty full NHL roster, we are in good shape and prepared to sign several prospects if we have to

maybe around 35 contracts, which should leave him enough room to sign the bulk of them if that's what they want to do depending on the season they have. They will need some vets for Laval but there could also be some trades if we miss the playoffs.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Also speaks of a lack of interest in coming here.
That's on MB and Money Mol$on...they have created a culture of losing, and no accountability...players talk, it's obvious.

MB's line, you want loyalty, buy a dog in reference to Markov's situation, resonated around the league that a clown GM could do this to a 15-16 yr vet, with 990 games on one team.

The Habs will be screwed via the ufa route until someone removes the cancer, who caused it.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
That's on MB and Money Mol$on...they have created a culture of losing, and no accountability...players talk, it's obvious.

MB's line, you want loyalty, buy a dog in reference to Markov's situation, resonated around the league that a clown GM could do this to a 15-16 yr vet, with 990 games on one team.

The Habs will be screwed via the ufa route until someone removes the cancer, who caused it.

Yup.

Players are human afterall... No one wants to work for a jerk that mistreats & shows no respect for his employees if they have a choice.
Top UFAs have a lot of choices.

Should surprise no one that they turn down better offers from us so long as we have the current GM in charge.

Reactions: BLONG7

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I think UFAs in general don't like coming to Canada. Whether it's the taxes, the weather, the constant pressure...it's really not for everybody. Besides Tavares (who decided to play at home), there are rarely any big named UFA's that sign north of the border.

It's crazy that Montreal is 26th out of 31 teams in terms of salary cap...Especially considering their Operating Income is second in the league after NYR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad