Habs' 12Th & 22nd vs. 5/6/7th?

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
The Habs can probably get Ellerby at #12. That would be a heck of a pickup. If Keaton isn't around at that time Gainey can grab a fallen forward (ie. Couture, Espo, Cherepanov, Mayorov,Gagner) and use his next 1st rounder on a d-man (Ross, Katic, Cross, Plante). Montreal should hold their picks and wait for some talent to drop - like they've been doing the last few years. If it ain't broke...

I agree with this approach. This is why Trev is paid the big bucks, eh?

I would add McDonough and Petrecki into your D list. Maybe even take Petrecki with 12 if nothing falls.

Gillies at 22 is intriguing too.

HABSMANIA21*

I agree with this approach. This is why Trev is paid the big bucks, eh?

I would add McDonough and Petrecki into your D list. Maybe even take Petrecki with 12 if nothing falls.

Gillies at 22 is intriguing too.

ellerby is not strong. a dismal 2 reps on the bench press at the combine

kostybros

Oct 28, 2005
Qc city
ellerby is not strong. a dismal 2 reps on the bench press at the combine

The fact that he isn't strong right now is not important. He has a big body that could fill 220 lbs and he's nasty enough to hit people. Defence men usually reach the NHL at between 22 and 24 years old so there's plenty of time for him to get stronger.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
The only problem I see in habs defense for the future is the lakc of offensive talent.. guy who would make a VERY solid frist pass, play well under pressure have a good transition game.

Right now, we have only Markov. As far a prospects, there is only Fischer, maye Emelin, never saw him play. Others are stay at home d-men with some speed.

Fischer and maybe Emelin is not enough since we doN't know if fischer will pan out, even though I beleive he will, we can never really know.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The only problem I see in habs defense for the future is the lakc of offensive talent.. guy who would make a VERY solid frist pass, play well under pressure have a good transition game.

Right now, we have only Markov. As far a prospects, there is only Fischer, maye Emelin, never saw him play. Others are stay at home d-men with some speed.

Fischer and maybe Emelin is not enough since we doN't know if fischer will pan out, even though I beleive he will, we can never really know.

Carle, Fischer, Emelin and Valentenko.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Yes, Habs needs Karl Alzner. After Komisarek and Fisher, they have nothing. If they can't and Esposito is still available at 12th, Gainey has to take him.
I am not convinced Fisher is our best D prospect in fact. Emelin and Valatenko might turn out to be more valuable assets.

HockeyBestFan

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
Habs should try to get Eller at 12e spot and between Thomas Hickey or Ryan McDonagh with their 22e. One forward and one defenseman in the first round pick can just enforcing their future roster.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
You can never have too many good yound defensemen but Montreal really needs some big tough goal scoring wingers or a creative and solid centerman. Esposito plays centre....which winger would better fill this need?

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
i dont have a good feeling about esposito. lots of people say hes a alexander daigle. that would be a gamble to pick esposito.
DAMN to I hate all the Alexandre Daigle hate.

Daigle is a 50 PTS (possibly better now) player who can play very well 2 way hockey... Esposito might have the same offensive overhype repitoire as Daigle, but his defense isn't even close.

Daigle was a bad #1 pick, yeah. But if he was picked from #11 on, he'd of been fine. Solid two-way hockey player. If we can get a player, who can score 50 PTS, kill penalties, and play good two-way hockey at #12.. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Geekay

Jun 18, 2007
There is so much parity outside of the top three that I would hold tight with those picks... would like to see Gillies added late in the round!

===========================
www.ohltalk.com

Bégin is the bestest*

since Yemelin signed with a russian team again, the habs should probbaly draft a dman in the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad