Hab v. Nords 1985 Game 7: TSN tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooch*

This was a good game and I'm glad theyre showing somethng interesting but the real game to rebroadcast is Game 5 from 1984. Anyone remember why?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
This was a good game and I'm glad theyre showing somethng interesting but the real game to rebroadcast is Game 5 from 1984. Anyone remember why?

That's the big brawl if I remember- didn't the Hunters fight each other?? Also, is that the game where Louis Sleigher got his leg broken in the fight??

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
My God Steve Penny stank. This game made me realize how lucky Habs fans are to have had such great goalies over the years in endless succession with few periods of doubtful/mediocre netminding. I guess '85 was just one of those intermidiate years between Dryden and Roy, like those few Thibault/Jablonski/Moog years bteween Roy and Theodore. I hope we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot by giving away Garon pre-lockout. Is Danis for real? Here's hoping the Habs' scouting staff never turns a blind eye to finding/drafting a neverending line of great goaltending talent (much of it found in our own back yard).

P.S. Where do you think the next great goalie hotbed will be? Finland? (Lehtonen, Kiprusoff, Niittymaki, Toivonen, Rask, etc.) Forever Quebec? Your thoughts...

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
I coudn't help but laugh when Gosselin got cranked by Tremblay's slapshot and just passed out, heh. Looked scary though. That was on the first Don Cherry.

Penny was terrifying to watch. So many precarious moments where the puck nearly went through him.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
revolverjgw said:
I coudn't help but laugh when Gosselin got cranked by Tremblay's slapshot and just passed out, heh. Looked scary though. That was on the first Don Cherry.

Penny was terrifying to watch. So many precarious moments where the puck nearly went through him.

man all the goalies back then were terrifying to watch. It was like any shot from anywhere had a chance of getting through.

What was the result of the game anyway? I watched the third period but then i had to leave before OT? I could look it up, but.....

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Quebec beat Montreal 3-2 in OT in Game 7. Here's the official game summary:

Adams Division Final -- Game 7
Thursday, May 2, 1985 at Montreal Forum

Quebec Nordiques: Montreal Canadiens:
G: #1 Richard Sevigny (dnp).....................G: #1 Doug Soetaert (dnp)
G: #33 Mario Gosselin..............................G: #37 Steve Penney
D: #4 Brad Maxwell.................................D: #5 Rick Green
D: #5 Normand Rochefort........................D: #17 Craig Ludwig
D: #6 Bruce Bell................................... .D: #18 Tom Kurvers
D: #7 Pat Price......................................D: #19 Larry Robinson
D: #21 Randy Moller................................D: #24 Chris Chelios
D: #22 Mario Marois................................F: #6 Pierre Mondou
D: #25 Blake Wesley...............................F: #11 Ryan Walter
F: #9 Brent Ashton.................................F: #12 Serge Boisvert
F: #10 Jimmy Mann.................................F: #14 Mario Tremblay
F: #15 J.F. Sauve...................................F: #15 Bobby Smith
F: #16 Michel Goulet...............................F: #20 Mark Hunter
F: #17 Mark Kumpel................................F: #21 Guy Carbonneau
F: #19 Alain Cote...................................F: #23 Bob Gainey
F: #20 Anton Stastny.............................F: #26 Mats Naslund
F: #23 Paul Gillis....................................F: #27 Lucien Deblois
F: #26 Peter Stastny..............................F: #29 Ron Flockhart
F: #27 Wilf Paiement...............................F: #30 Chris Nilan
F: #32 Dale Hunter.................................F: #35 Mike McPhee

Scratches:
QUE: Fwds--18 Marian Stastny, 28 Alain Lemieux, G--35 Daniel Bouchard
MTL: Def--3 Ric Nattress, Fwds--8 Alfie Turcotte, 28 Steve Rooney

SCORING: QUE-MTL 3:2 (OT) (1:0, 1:2, 0:0, 1:0)
SHOTS ON GOAL: QUE-MTL 25:26 (8:4, 6:12, 8:8, 3:2)
PENALTY MINUTES: QUE 5 x 10 minutes, MTL 6 x 12, 1 x 10, total = 22 minutes
POWER PLAY GOALS/ATTEMPTS: QUE 0-of-3, MTL 0-of-2
GOALIES: QUE: Gosselin...62:22, 24 saves, 2 GA
GOALIES: MTL: Penney....62:22, 22 saves, 3 GA
REFEREE: Kerry Fraser LINESMEN: John D'Amico, Ron Finn
ATTENDANCE: 18,076

GOAL SCORING:

03:27 (1st period) -- QUE: BELL (2) from Kumpel and Ashton -- even-strength
01:24 (2nd period) -- QUE: SAUVE (3) from Maxwell and Bell -- even-strength
07:23 (2nd period) -- MTL: MONDOU (2) from Naslund and Robinson -- even
17:14 (2nd period) -- MTL: NASLUND (7) from Robinson and Kurvers -- even
02:22 (1st OT) -- QUE: PETER STASTNY (3) from Price -- even-strength

PENALTIES:

01:25 (1st period) -- MTL: Gainey, 2:00 roughing (on Gillis)
10:23 (1st period) -- QUE: Paiement, 2:00 interference (on goalie Penney)
19:15 (1st period) -- MTL: Flockhart, 2:00 slashing (on Rochefort)

03:34 (2nd period) -- MTL: Nilan, 2:00 roughing (on Price) *served by Mondou
03:34 (2nd period) -- MTL: Nilan, 10:00 misconduct (on referee Fraser)
17:31 (2nd period) -- QUE: Sauve, 2:00 holding (on Deblois)

02:50 (3rd period) -- QUE: Maxwell, 2:00 slashing (on Naslund)
02:50 (3rd period) -- MTL: Naslund, 2:00 slashing (on Maxwell)
17:11 (3rd period) -- QUE: Gillis, 2:00 high sticking (on Tremblay)
17:11 (3rd period) -- MTL: Tremblay, 2:00 holding (on Gillis)
17:53 (3rd period) -- QUE: Goulet, 2:00 slashing (on Chelios)
17:53 (3rd period) -- MTL: Chelios, 2:00 slashing (on Goulet)

NOTES: MTL did not record their first shot on goal until 8:17 of 1st period.......
QUE Goalie Gosselin injured by hard slapshot to chest from Tremblay at 5:53 of 2nd period, remained in game...QUE's first two goals occurred shortly after their PP's expired (Bell's goal :02 seconds after PP, Sauve's goal :09 seconds after PP).

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
The 1985 edition of the Battle of Quebec playoff series really swung back and forth.
Game 1 in Montreal on April 18 saw the Nords defeat the Habs 2-1 in OT, QUE outshot MTL 28-19.
Game 2 in Montreal on April 21, MTL beat QUE 6-4 with SOG favoring QUE 28-27.
Game 3 at le colisee on April 23, QUE beat MTL 7-6 in OT..SOG: QUE 44, MTL 36
Game 4 in Quebec City, April 25: MTL 3, QUE 1....SOG favored MTL 30-21
Game 5 at the Forum, April 27: QUE 5, MTL 1....SOG favored QUE 25-21
Game 6 in Quebec City, April 30: MTL 5, QUE 2...SOG favored MTL 27-24
Game 7 in Montreal, May 2: QUE 3, MTL 2 in OT..SOG favored MTL 26-25

The big brawl playoff game was the previous year..Game 6 on April 20, 1984 at the Forum when MTL defeated QUE 5-3. The game began with a fight just 23 seconds in between Paiement and McPhee, then further deteriorated in the 2nd and 3rd periods for a total of 273 penalty minutes (134 PIMs for QUE, 139 PIMS for MTL).

At the end of the 2nd period, all hell broke loose with even the backup goalies (Malarchuk of QUE and Sevigny of MTL) getting into a fight and being ejected)necessitating both teams to dress their 3rd goalies (Gosselin for QUE and Wamsley for MTL). Other players ejected included: for QUE: Dale Hunter, Peter Stastny, Louis Sleigher, Randy Moller, Wally Weir....and ejected for MTL: Mario Tremblay, Chris Nilan, Mark Hunter and Mike McPhee.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Certainly worth mentioning, forgot to include in regard to the April 20, 1984 big brawl game of the Battle of Quebec, that Quebec held a 2-0 lead into the 3rd period with a PP goal from Peter Stastny at 5:12 of the 1st period, no scoring in the 2nd period, QUE's Goulet with a PP goal at 2:02 of the 3rd after the big melee.

And then QUE surrendered 5 straight 3rd period even-strength goals to the Candiens
in a span of 8:05, beginning with Steve Shutt's goal at 6:23 and again from Shutt at 9:11, then Rick Green at 12:14, John Chabot at 13:27 and Guy Carbonneau at 14:28. Wilf Paiement closed out the scoring with a goal for QUE at 16:51. Despite all the player ejections, it seemed to energize the Canadiens even more so than the Nordiques.

chooch*

svetovy poharu said:
Certainly worth mentioning, forgot to include in regard to the April 20, 1984 big brawl game of the Battle of Quebec, that Quebec held a 2-0 lead into the 3rd period with a PP goal from Peter Stastny at 5:12 of the 1st period, no scoring in the 2nd period, QUE's Goulet with a PP goal at 2:02 of the 3rd after the big melee.

And then QUE surrendered 5 straight 3rd period even-strength goals to the Candiens
in a span of 8:05, beginning with Steve Shutt's goal at 6:23 and again from Shutt at 9:11, then Rick Green at 12:14, John Chabot at 13:27 and Guy Carbonneau at 14:28. Wilf Paiement closed out the scoring with a goal for QUE at 16:51. Despite all the player ejections, it seemed to energize the Canadiens even more so than the Nordiques.

Brawl game ever rebroadcast? shutt was flying that nigt; in his last full season with Habs. Chabot should have had a better career but was a poor skater (and a Native)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad