Confirmed with Link: Haas resigned, 1 yr, 915k

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Haas and Nygard showed glimpses of promise throughout the year and had good chemistry together. I think both of them are close to 30 points next year with solid defensive play. Just need to find that 3rd guy, maybe Benson?

30 points for their role is extraordinary.

Depending on usage 20 points would be incredible even.

Reactions: joestevens29

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Is there any sort of market for Khaira?

I also wonder how McDavid would react to one of his best buds on the team getting shipped out.

Theres definitely a market for Khaira. He’s been the whipping boy, but a 6’4 power forward who can give you 20 points from the 4th line is a player that teams want. He’s young (25), cheap (1.2), and can play center or wing. We shouldn’t even be looking to move him. People just need to stop blaming him for not being a top 6 forward.

Reactions: Aerchon

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Theres definitely a market for Khaira. He’s been the whipping boy, but a 6’4 power forward who can give you 20 points from the 4th line is a player that teams want. He’s young (25), cheap (1.2), and can play center or wing. We shouldn’t even be looking to move him. People just need to stop blaming him for not being a top 6 forward.
I'm blaming him for not being a 4th line forward.

Reactions: SwedishFire

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I'm sure McD has had closer buds moving out on him..

Honestly, no. Unless you have something more than your feelz please provide some evidence for that. tbh I am just commenting on something I heard from a podcast about their friendship. If I can find that podcast I will share.

As for market, 6'4" C who can skate, is young, kills penalties, hits, fights when needed, decent at draws and makes 1.2M.

Khaira is an ok NHL skater. No better than average. You forgot gets caved at even strength all the time.

There may be a couple teams interested

Doubtful. He is probably the 13th forward on the team next year.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
He’s been the whipping boy, but a 6’4 power forward who can give you 20 points from the 4th line is a player that teams want.

Will he give you 20 points from the fourth line? He was playing third line minutes when he got 21 points in 2017-18. JJ only had 10 points when the stopped the season this year when he was playing almost exclusively fourth line minutes.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Is there any sort of market for Khaira?

I also wonder how McDavid would react to one of his best buds on the team getting shipped out.
I think McDavid would rather have a capable team around him, rather than all his "best buds" on the team.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Honestly, no. Unless you have something more than your feelz please provide some evidence for that. tbh I am just commenting on something I heard from a podcast about their friendship. If I can find that podcast I will share.

Khaira is an ok NHL skater. No better than average. You forgot gets caved at even strength all the time.

Drake Cagguila.

Next.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

It's more than 'feelz'. In interview he was asked about his feelings when Eberle and Hall got shipped off he talked about how he realized hockey is a business and how he understood that early on when both his best buds and roommates in juniors got traded one after the other. Only trade that may upset him would be Nurse IMO..even then he would get over it.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

What else explains the JJ overpay?

JJ was one of those players that was on a steady incline in play for a long time. Small upgrades in play each year. Slowly getting better. But he then battled injury and had trouble gaining traction from previous promising years. He was never highly touted but he was once considered fairly valuable to the organization and around the league.

He had a noticeably bad year 5v5 that was greatly exaggerated by people on here. He had a good year on the PK. The whipping boy thing is real on here. He still has value and promise and as mentioned makes decent money for what he brings.

Holland has done a very good providing competition for our bottom 6. If Kharia struggles next year there will be many ready to take his spot. If he struggles we can trade him off as a reclamation project for another team for a depth pick. No harm no foul. He has value and will have value for at least another year or two if only for his excellent skill set and PK abilities.

I personally like to keep him around because of the promise he has shown previously, his price, and his PK abilities.

Reactions: The Nuge

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I personally like to keep him around because of the promise he has shown previously, his price, and his PK abilities.

The PK is the only reason to even consider JJ staying on the team. Keeping players around on promise sounds like an OBC mentality in the midst of the decade of darkness.

Sheahan and Archibald are better PKers who are cheaper. I don't think $1.2M for a second unit PK guy is a good price. Teams with bad PKs be willing to take on his salary.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Honestly I thought Khaira was looking better before the season got Corona'd.

He worked far better cycling with Neal and Chiasson on a grind line vs. in the more defensive role with Sheahan and Archibald.

Reactions: oilynutz

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Honestly I thought Khaira was looking better before the season got Corona'd.

He worked far better cycling with Neal and Chiasson on a grind line vs. in the more defensive role with Sheahan and Archibald.

Sure he looked ok on the fourth line. As with all fourth liners you move on from them for the right deal. Especially given how expensive our fourth line is.

Neal, Chiasson and Khaira are all expendable at this point. There will likely be an amnesty buyout of some kind when hockey restarts. So that will be a perfect time to dump Neal. Chiasson will be tough to move because of salary. Khaira might be gone.

Marody, McLeod and Benson will all get a good look at making the team next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->