Gymnastics

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Kudos to Simone for gutting it out & getting a bronze......her incredible 7th Olympic medal! :handclap:
I think if somebody came up with a better name than twisties or yips, people would have been more understanding. Those names sound beyond dumb. It's a dissociative body/mind disorder. Calling it twisties makes it sound like some sort of child's play.

Last edited:

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Simone is back.... kinda. She seemed SO relieved she performed without having problems, it was beautiful to see her! Her routine was nothing exceptional (certainly not for her insane standards) but she did it and she won a bronze too, even though I don't think this is what really matters to her. Note that she took out all the twists and skills that could potentially give her problems.

The two chinese gymnasts killed it, great routines, Guan Chenchen starting score was crazy but she delivered: a good rebound for a team which had not win, surprisingly, any medal yet. Well deserved! I do prefer Tang though, she's quite a character, not the usual robotic doll-like chinese gymnast.

My fave Larisa Iordache had to withdraw after qualifying for this final: as I suspected immediately after her exercise, that limp signaled an injury which wouldn't allow her any other competition, so unlucky because with her score she would have medalled, it would have been amazing after THREE Achilles' surgeries since 2017... Stay strong Larisa!

Let me also add that it was a real pleasure to see Suni Lee and Simone cheering for Guan during her routine: I recall the times in which the gymnasts ignored each other when competing, the atmosphere seems utterly different these days and they really look all supporting to each other down there, beautiful to see, true Olympic spirit! :clap:

That's it for artistic gymnastics, three years wait now... :help:

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal

Also, considering her brother was on trial for murder and acquitted just a month and a half ago, and she was one of the Nassar victims, kind of amazing she even wanted to compete in the Olympics.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I think if somebody came up with a better name than twisties or yips, people would have been more understanding. Those names sound beyond dumb. It's a dissociative body/mind disorder. Calling it twisties makes it sound like some sort of child's play.

DON'T SAY IT!

Reactions: Eisen

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
I have to say as a Russia fanboy I have been impressed with how Melnikova has matured.

As I haven't really followed any of the Worlds or Europeans for a few years I just remembered her as a baby-faced 16 year old who I thought was a bit of a liability holding back my beloved Mustafina and her team.

But she has really grown up in every way including in her performances, appearance and the way she carries herself as an experienced gymnast and team leader

Fingers crossed Listunova can carry the team forward along with the several promising juniors. Nagorny and Dalaloyan will be around for a while yet but they need to find a couple more in the juniors. It was great to see Russia winning both team titles but the exercise and all around results were below par. As for losing the RG individual title poor from both Averina sisters after dominating qualification.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad