Guys you used to love to hate?

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I think sadly a lot of the personality has gone out of the game lately and this hurts the atmosphere at games.

I started watching the game as a hardcore fan during the old Norris division days and every team that came into STL. You would usually kill to get these guys on your team but when they played against your team you hated them.

Chicago-Al Secord, Dirk Graham, Steve Larmer, Denis Savard, Doug Wilson, Behn Wilson, Terry Ruskowski, Jeremy Roenick, Chris Chelios, Any Hawk enforcer especially Stu Grimson, Any Goalie Especially Ed Belfour.

You could go through the rosters of any team in the division back then and come up with a list. It didnt matter what the records of the two teams were either when it was a division game the players were going to be getting after it.

I think this begs a much larger question, Where have all the rivalries gone and what do we do to get them back.

I think a few things you could do would be

1. Get rid of the Instigator rule so these guys can get after each other more

2. Schedule more games within divisions also as part of this have more back to back games within the division.

3. Go back to the way the playoff foremat was in the Norris division days, the first two playoff rounds were inter division. I know there are drawbacks to this when you are in a strong division like Division with Calgary and Edmonton was back then sometimes the secons best team in the league is going to get knocked out early and a weaker team from the Norris was guaranteed a trip to the conference finals. But I will take the playoff system back then because it built rivalries.

This may be a moot point because there were less teams then and I dont know if it is possible to do this as they are now. If it isnt could we get it done with modifications?

Thoughts

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
Hated Neely and Bourque. Except when they played other teams I disliked even more. Loved Neely trying to beat up Samuelsson. Just hated them against Mtl. Not like Dale Hunter. Just hated him period. Hated Peter Stastny, Michel Goulet and Michel Bergeron. Still hate Bergeron, the more time goes by, the bigger twit he becomes.

bruins309

Krejci Fight Club
Sep 17, 2007
You dont think that would help build rivalries?

Cripes, there's already 8 games between divisional teams. Enough is enough. I'm a full season ticket holder for the Bruins, and I got so sick of seeing Toronto last year because they made their 4 visits within a 6 week span. Yet, I haven't seen Detroit since Yzerman was there. The schedule is insane (not to mention biased against the Western teams)

Players I used to love to hate? Mats Naslund, Ulfie, Chris Nilan

BraveSirRobin

Ducks offseason
Feb 5, 2006
Yucaipa, CA
I hated Forsberg back when Colorado was almost consistantly on top of the league. I've since mellowed to him, but I used to really dislike the guy.

Another player that comes to mind is Pat Verbeek. Another guy I really, really hated.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
Chelios, plain and simple.

Hate the smirk, hate the way he picked fights with Steve kasper and Randy Burridge in the 89 playoffs even though he outweighed them by 30 pounds each while consistently avoiding anyone who could cause him damage.

My other bits of prejudice include:

Tiger "lets take advantage of the new kid" Williams.

Ed "Clark Gillies will eventually kill me" Hospodar.

Behn " I've got all the talent in the world and I'm tough, but guess I'll just high stick you instead" Wilson.

PensfanUK

Nov 23, 2007
Rigel 7
I hated Forsberg back when Colorado was almost consistantly on top of the league. I've since mellowed to him, but I used to really dislike the guy.

Another player that comes to mind is Pat Verbeek. Another guy I really, really hated.

me too, but I havent mellowed to him at all, he's just one of those players that offends me somehow :biglaugh:

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
1. Ulf Samuelsson
2. Claude Lemieux
3. Bryan Marchment
4. Tie Domi
5. Matthew Barnaby

Yet I would take all of them in my team :)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There are guys you love to have because they kill your team, and are otherwise great players whom you'd gladly take on your team : Cam Neely is among them, same thing with Mario Lemieux.

There are guys whom you hate, and will make you turn your back on your own team, if they ever hire them : Eric Lindros and Dale Hunter category.

Luckily, they never played for the Habs. I would have instantly become a Leafs fan.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
There are guys you love to have because they kill your team, and are otherwise great players whom you'd gladly take on your team : Cam Neely is among them, same thing with Mario Lemieux.

There are guys whom you hate, and will make you turn your back on your own team, if they ever hire them : Eric Lindros and Dale Hunter category.

Luckily, they never played for the Habs. I would have instantly become a Leafs fan.

I dont thnk even Willi Plett on the Blues would have made me turn my back on the Blues. Close though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad