Guys who never should have played a single game

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I can't believe Mitch Fritz managed to get 20 games with the Islanders. I saw him play a game once in the AHL for Bridgeport against Providence where little kids were aware of and laughing at him for his inability to skate.

I remember him. I mean Mitch Fritz made Colton Orr look pint sized. On skates he was a newborn foal.

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
True to the thread title, Rick Knickle was 33 years when he got called up as '92-93 Kings were battling with goaltender injuries. It's fair to say that Knickle, a career minor leaguer who played for 12 different pro teams prior his NHL stint, wasn't intended to play even a single NHL game.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's funny when a team calls a up a non-NHL back-up goalie to ride the bench. It happens now and again, as with the Canucks two years ago when they called up UBC Thunderbirds' goalie Matt Hewitt to dress for a game against St.Louis. He was a 4th-year sociology major.

Anyone know if this kind of thing has ever happened when the emergency goalie actually had to play?

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
It's funny when a team calls a up a non-NHL back-up goalie to ride the bench. It happens now and again, as with the Canucks two years ago when they called up UBC Thunderbirds' goalie Matt Hewitt to dress for a game against St.Louis. He was a 4th-year sociology major.

Anyone know if this kind of thing has ever happened when the emergency goalie actually had to play?
That happened this year for the guy in Chicago. He played part of the third period and didn’t allow any goals.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Same thing with Chris Levesque about a decade earlier too. He didn't get in the game either though.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
The two worst NHL-level players I've ever seen are probably:
- Neil Sheehy
- John Scott

John Scott is the only player who has managed to make the All-Star weekend enjoyable for the past decade and some. Not the most skillful player but it’s probably not easy to be the last true fighter of the NHL as that role has been fading away. At least he made small contributions to the health of the league and it’s products (clearly not the players health though, lol).

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I know Jonathan Toews brother David never came close to making it to the NHL, but the fact that he got taken 66th overall was a joke. I remember seeing him play in the WHL and thinking his skating was horrendous.

Same goes for Lukas Sutter. Had one good year in the WHL (pre-draft season), and the Jets grabbed him in the second round. If he was not a Sutter, he would have ended up a 5th or 6th round pick. Sutter ended up regressing, playing once season in the Islanders farm system, before giving up on his NHL aspirations. He has been playing in beer leagues in Saskatchewan for the past three years.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Has anyone here witnessed a less talented player regular/semi regular (esp relative to his peers during his time) than John Scott?

I legitimately believe I have better puck skills and skating than him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad