Guys, I need some help (especially someone who knows about construction)

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Basically, the situation is this.

I'm trying to replace the flooring in a kitchen. It's some ugly blue glue-on tiles that were placed on top of another layer of ugly tiles that were placed on top of another layer of ugly tiles. My plan is to put some nice vinyl plank flooring.

Here's the before pics:

20200508_195013.jpg

20200508_195019.jpg

20200508_195024.jpg

Now, so I removed all the three ugly floors and ended up on what I think is the original sub-flooring. I also removed the ugly ceramic tiles on the bottom of the wall.

The problem is that the drywall doesn't seem to reach all the way to the bottom. There's an huge empty space between the drywall and the floor.

What should I do about it? I thought about filling it with wood but it seems like it would be extremely hard to measure and cut enough wood to be able to fit underneath there. I also thought about filling it with plaster but I'm not sure it's a good idea either.

What's the best way to fill the gaps between the drywall and the floor?

Here's the newer pics that show the problem:

20200510_122454.jpg

20200510_122507.jpg

20200510_122521.jpg

Thanks

Reactions: moog

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
That gap - usually 1/2 inch but can vary - is not a "problem"; it's typical for drywall installations, to allow for seasonal expansion & contraction of the drywall sheets. Allowing the drywall to touch the flooring would also allow moisture to wick up into the drywall (more of a problem with concrete floors or spaces were water may stand or flow across the floor). The gap is typically covered by baseboard, as it was before you started tearing things up. Lots of baseboard options (color, style, materials) should be available from local DIY or lumber/hardware stores.

Reactions: Sega Dreamcast

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
That gap - usually 1/2 inch but can vary - is not a "problem"; it's typical for drywall installations, to allow for seasonal expansion & contraction of the drywall sheets. Allowing the drywall to touch the flooring would also allow moisture to wick up into the drywall (more of a problem with concrete floors or spaces were water may stand or flow across the floor). The gap is typically covered by baseboard, as it was before you started tearing things up. Lots of baseboard options (color, style, materials) should be available from local DIY or lumber/hardware stores.

Thanks for your reply. I was googling stuff and I found someone who suggested I put this thing inside:

M-D Building Products 1/2 in. x 20 ft. Caulk Backer Rod-71480 - The Home Depot

Is it a good idea?

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
That would certainly fill the gap, if it's consistently less than a half-inch high. But you'd still have to cover that gap with either baseboard or tile or some other finish covering, so I'm not sure the foam tubing would do more that lighten your wallet.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006

Cover the gap with trim

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Cover the gap with trim

^^^

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
I’ve found that if you simply epoxy stray neighborhood cats into the cracks, they act as excellent insulators and if you use enough of them they cut down on rodent infestations.

Win-Win.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Also, you should have kept digging.

unnamed-1-300x225.jpg

It’s a little known fact that 79.4% of all people who use three layers of crappy glued tiles for a kitchen floor (with a top layer being blue) bury seventeen, 5lb. bars of .999 fine gold four paces from the northwest corner.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Nicely done. That’s a marked improvement. I see a home improvement post started by Masao and i immediately think of the kitchen post from years ago. I can’t be the only one.

member 157595

Nicely done. That’s a marked improvement. I see a home improvement post started by Masao and i immediately think of the kitchen post from years ago. I can’t be the only one.

FOR MILLIONS OF YEARS, FOR CHRISTMAS, PEOPLE HAVE EATEN TURKEY.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->