Blue Jays Discussion: Guys are getting hurt, but Grichuk is mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Bauer won’t sign long term. He’s on record saying he wants to play on one year contracts. It would be a waste of assets to trade for 1 month of Bauer. Offer him $30 million this offseason. It’s only money. Better than prospects.
You realize the idea is to acquire him for the upcoming playoffs.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
You realize the idea is to acquire him for the upcoming playoffs.
I’m aware, but I’m not willing to part with what it would take to get him when you could get him for only money in the offseason. This team isn’t one player away. They’re still way too green to shove all in.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
If Jays pickup a rental they better give up very little. I'd prefer the Jays try to acquire a pitcher who has at least one more year of their contract. Giles is the only good player who the Jays might lose for next season and it appears he can be easily replaced with how the bullpen has turned out.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah top prospects don't get moved anymore for rentals. I like Bauer but wait until the offseason and just sign him to a 1 yr deal. Use the prospects to get Chapman out of Oakland

Forgotusername

May 17, 2016
Do you think we’re the only team calling? You have to outbid all the teams. Third tier prospects won’t even get them to answer the phone. Start with Austin Martin. The Jays say no, so next they ask for Jordan Groshans and add one or two more pieces.

Martin can't be traded, they wouldn't even ask for him.

Reactions: phillipmike

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Oh Montoyo...

I could see the reasoning if Biggio was struggling or had significant platoon splits, but he isn't and he doesn't (and neither does Yarbrough).

And, of course, the lefty who actually can't hit lefties is two spots ahead of him...

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Biggio batting 8th? WTF

Jansen is hitting third lol. Wtf kind of lineup is this. Love wasting the on base machine between Drury and Espinal at the bottom of the order. Why not move Shaw up a spot and Biggio 3rd to get a r l r l scenario a little

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
I swear it seems like Charlie is just making shit up now.

if we’re lucky Joe will rip him a new one again during pregame.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Biggio batting 8th? WTF

Oh Montoyo...

I could see the reasoning if Biggio was struggling or had significant platoon splits, but he isn't and he doesn't (and neither does Yarbrough).

And, of course, the lefty who actually can't hit lefties is two spots ahead of him...

Jansen is hitting third lol. Wtf kind of lineup is this. Love wasting the on base machine between Drury and Espinal at the bottom of the order. Why not move Shaw up a spot and Biggio 3rd to get a r l r l scenario a little

What most Jays fans want to do to Montoyo after seeing that lineup:

upload_2020-8-21_14-12-8.gif

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
This thread is at 1k posts, but I'll hang on to make a new one until we're into the GDT so that there's little posting going on here.

Which also reminds me that I have to make a new GDT in an hour or so ahead of the game because the last one is only like 20 posts short of finishing up.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
You cant even blame Jansen for the way he's hitting. He's getting BABIP'd for the second year in a row.

More than doubled his walk rate, striking out the same, almost halved his GB% and 14% more line drives (which should have helped his BABIP). He's hitting the ball softer, but it shouldnt be this bad- dude has just been unlucky.
I would be careful extrapolating underlying performance from babip without context. It may not necessarily be the case that he's been hitting the ball well but it's just happened to be at fielders.

Jansen's hard hit rates and average exit velocity are the lowest on our team out of qualifiers (85.9 mph and 32.4%). Both those marks would also place him below league average in both categories this year.

At least last year you could make the argument that he was around or above league average in exit velo and hard hit rates in addition to his babip numbers. This year, not so much.

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
If they Jays are in it, then they should look at adding.

I doubt any top prospects are moved or needed to be moved. Look at the last 3 deadlines, barely any top rospects moved. Deadline is August 31st and the season ends in a month at that time. So you are trading for 1 month of service and for a starter that is 6-7 starts, max. Plus you cant trade players that arent in your 60 man pool. So that limits it even further.

There might be more buyers but there is a limit of what teams can asked for with a month left and the restriction on players being traded. Jays have an advantage as most of their 60 man player pool is very young.

I expect Cherington in Pittsburgh will have interest in his former team's players. Wonder if they have something we could use. Musgrove would have been nice if he were healthy.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Is this the secret star of Blue Jays core?

The Blue Jays are stacked with slugging stars of tomorrow, but is it time to think of Teoscar Hernández as a centerpiece of that long-term future?

If Hernández keeps slugging like he has so far, manager Charlie Montoyo will find him at-bats. But if the Blue Jays see an opportunity to upgrade other holes by trading their long-loved project, they might discover a sizable list of suitors. Hernández is still only 27, and is eligible for arbitration for the first time this winter. And right now, he’s showing what he can do when he taps into his world-class power.

This guy doesnt know Montoyo.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Biggio batting 8th? WTF

Cavan Biggio's slashline against Ryan Yarbarough: 13 PA, .417/.462/.667, 1.128 OPS

Danny Jansen slashline against Ryan Yarbarough : 7 PA .000/.143/.000, .143 OPS

Lourdes Gurriel slashline agains Ryan Yarabrough: 7 PA .000/.000/.000 .000 O

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Cavan Biggio's slashline against Ryan Yarbarough: 13 PA, .417/.462/.667, 1.128 OPS

Danny Jansen slashline against Ryan Yarbarough : 7 PA .000/.143/.000, .143 OPS

Lourdes Gurriel slashline agains Ryan Yarabrough: 7 PA .000/.000/.000 .000 O

Yeah but what's their intangibles slashline against Yarbrough? How much grit do they display against the Rays?

You gotta remember to ask the tough questions.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Biggio batting 8th? WTF

Oh Montoyo...

Lol at Montoyo. He actually went one step further of making silly decisions.
How can someone who comes from the Kevin Cash coaching tree be this bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad