Blue Jays Discussion: Guys are getting hurt, but Grichuk is mashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Ryu and Shoemaker look good. One of Roark or Anderson should stabilize. I guess another starter would be good. Wonder if the Reds move Bauer if they are out. Or we target one of the Indians’ pitchers.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Looks like I missed a great couple of games. When I miss a game I try to go on the app and read the play by play without spoiling, gets some of the experience of what happened as it did rather than just seeing the end result, that 6th inning was something.

Reactions: Discoverer

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Ryu and Shoemaker look good. One of Roark or Anderson should stabilize. I guess another starter would be good. Wonder if the Reds move Bauer if they are out. Or we target one of the Indians’ pitchers.

Bauer would be interesting for a number of reasons. He's a very good (3+ WAR) pitcher. Familiarity with Shapiro. Plus he has the same short arm action as Hate, which makes me wonder if he could show him a few things. On the downside he's a bit of a colourful individual to put it mildly. Not sure if he's the type of player you want on a team without a strong veteran presence.

Mar 14, 2011
Bauer would be interesting for a number of reasons. He's a very good (3+ WAR) pitcher. Familiarity with Shapiro. Plus he has the same short arm action as Hate, which makes me wonder if he could show him a few things. On the downside he's a bit of a colourful individual to put it mildly. Not sure if he's the type of player you want on a team without a strong veteran presence.
Would he even want to come to Toronto? I remember this guy getting into twitter arguments against Jays fans some years ago.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
id love for Bauer for be a Jay. His personality is what Baseball badly needs. Not like hes a malicious dude and he usually sticks up for ppl (see: Tatis).

Reactions: Kurtz

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I dont mind them turning some future assets to "now"assets as long as they are still controllable

Yeah, as good as Bauer is (or can be, I guess), he doesn't make any sense for this team. The expanded playoffs means they've got a pretty good chance of making it, but they're not at the point where they should be giving up significant assets for purely win-now pieces.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
Biggio with an eye popping .370 OBP. This guy is just fun to watch. While lots of other guys get the attention this guy just quietly Performs. This offence has been great lately. We could have 9 guys that could have an OBP % over .320 and 8 out of 9 have potential to hit over 20 home runs (in a full year) We could be one of the better OPS hitting teams in baseball when everybody figures it out.

Ive always been a big fan, he is just sound, composed, and versatile. I love Bo, but this guy is a foundational piece as much as Bo or Vladdy for me.

Note: that doesn't mean as talented as Bo.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yeah, as good as Bauer is (or can be, I guess), he doesn't make any sense for this team. The expanded playoffs means they've got a pretty good chance of making it, but they're not at the point where they should be giving up significant assets for purely win-now pieces.

I'd make a move for him if the management thinks we have the budget and the will to sign him long term - this would give us a head start towards that end.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
I'd make a move for him if the management thinks we have the budget and the will to sign him long term - this would give us a head start towards that end.
Bauer won’t sign long term. He’s on record saying he wants to play on one year contracts. It would be a waste of assets to trade for 1 month of Bauer. Offer him $30 million this offseason. It’s only money. Better than prospects.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Well now the Blue Jays are a game above. 500 and and the season is almost half over it's equivalent to August of 2015. It's time to jump on the bandwagon. All that they have to do is acquire a star pitcher and they're on their way to the playoffs.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Well now the Blue Jays are a game above. 500 and and the season is almost half over it's equivalent to August of 2015. It's time to jump on the bandwagon. All that they have to do is acquire a star pitcher and they're on their way to the playoffs.
With control, and I’m on board.

Also interesting that the two best prospects are not giving the best results. When they get going, oh boy.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
That team massively underperformed during the first half of that season. Their expected win total was way above their actual. This team is not “one player away” like that one. Any pickup they get this deadline will have term. Maybe they can take on some money in the deal and end up with something useful...

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Despite our recent success, it's actually quite frustrating that we are going to be in a dogfight for the final playoff spot in the AL the rest of the way. Montoyo's decisions have cost us several wins thus far, Vladdy has been abysmal for the most part, and we lost our best player for a considerable chunk of a condensed schedule.

With an experienced major league manager, Vladdy returning to form, and a healthy roster, this team could easily be one of the top seeds in the AL.

Last edited:
Reactions: SAMCRO44

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

1209095972.jpeg

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Just for the sake of discussion. So I’m playing devils advocate

ppl say don’t trade pieces for say Bauer. I’m guessing that’s our plethora of infield prospects. With our current sitch, Biggio Bichette, Martin and Vladdy are all gonna be our infielders right? If so, as long as it’s not O Martinez, why not trade a potential hitting prospect or two to get a certified pitcher?

I’ll hang up and listen

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015

ppl say don’t trade pieces for say Bauer. I’m guessing that’s our plethora of infield prospects. With our current sitch, Biggio Bichette, Martin and Vladdy are all gonna be our infielders right? If so, as long as it’s not O Martinez, why not trade a potential hitting prospect or two to get a certified pitcher?

I’ll hang up and listen
Do you think we’re the only team calling? You have to outbid all the teams. Third tier prospects won’t even get them to answer the phone. Start with Austin Martin. The Jays say no, so next they ask for Jordan Groshans and add one or two more pieces.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

I’ll hang up and listen

So some combination of Groshans, Kirk, Manoah, SWR, etc? Eh... I would rather bet on the prospects and either hold for this season or tinker instead of making a big win-now move like that. This time next year? Sure, go for it!

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Do you think we’re the only team calling? You have to outbid all the teams. Third tier prospects won’t even get them to answer the phone. Start with Austin Martin. The Jays say no, so next they ask for Jordan Groshans and add one or two more pieces.
Are you kidding? No one gives up those pieces anymore.

Reactions: canucksfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->