Guy Lapointe is underrated

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
First of all , I think the Montreal Canadiens , my favorite team , were shameless in not retiring his number.Also , I don't why but everybody seems to forgot how great of a offensive d-man and puck moving defenseman Pointu really was.Just wanted to make a tribute to this player I respect a lot.Maybe the story would be differant if he wasn't the one always playing with the 4th d-man on those Montreal teams.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
First of all , I think the Montreal Canadiens , my favorite team , were shameless in not retiring his number.Also , I don't why but everybody seems to forgot how great of a offensive d-man and puck moving defenseman Pointu really was.Just wanted to make a tribute to this player I respect a lot.Maybe the story would be differant if he wasn't the one always playing with the 4th d-man on those Montreal teams.

This is true.

Good point.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
For example , as far as I'm concerned , it is obvious Lapointe is a superior defenseman than Niedermayer.

Reactions: Big Phil

FiveForDrawingBlood

May 25, 2010

I have thought this for sometime

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Even the threads concerning him are underrated lmao

Seems like nobody cares about him , but let me tell you , Savard had charisma and leadership and great defensive skills ( probably offensive skills before his big injury ) but imo Lapointe was a better player.The only reasons Robinson and Savard are ahead of him ( and I really like those players ) are intangibles one way or the other ( not to mention playing with each other ) , because Lapointe was more talented than both.My opinion.Flame away.

Reactions: Fixxer

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Guy Lapointe

Remember him from his pre Verdun Maple Leaf days. Lapointe was a superior talent but conditioning and training left a bit to be desired.

Never had serious injuries like Savard(three times inc junior) and Robinson but had the shortest NHL career..

Also goin thru the HSP reveals that Lapointe had a fair share of time with Savard and Robinson as defensive partners.

Derick*

I love his name. Sounds like the quintessential Habs historical player name.

Reactions: Fixxer

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Lapointe was on the first unit of both the power play and the penalty kill for the dynasty Canadiens. He was the only* player who played on both first units for most of the dynasty, which speaks to his abilities at both ends of the ice.

*The other one would be Larry Robinson in 77-78 and 78-79, at least when Lapointe or Savard was injured. Not sure who the go-to options were in the playoffs when everyone was in the lineup.

Reactions: nnynetpotato

Chumley

Dec 31, 2010
Victoria, B.C.
I would say he is underrated. Even though I hated the Habs in the 70's he was a very good defensiveman. Another D-man that was also very good was Don Awrey with the Bruins and then played for the Habs for a couple of years in the mid '70's.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
For example , as far as I'm concerned , it is obvious Lapointe is a superior defenseman than Niedermayer.

I don't think it's obvious. Niedermayer was the leading Canadian vote getter for 3 straight Norris trophies, so I think he had the better peak than Lapointe. But it was only 3 seasons long. Lapointe was an elite defenseman for much longer. Depends on how you weight the factors.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Lapointe was on the first unit of both the power play and the penalty kill for the dynasty Canadiens. He was the only* player who played on both first units for most of the dynasty, which speaks to his abilities at both ends of the ice.

*The other one would be Larry Robinson in 77-78 and 78-79, at least when Lapointe or Savard was injured. Not sure who the go-to options were in the playoffs when everyone was in the lineup.

It seems Bowman tried to balance the ice time of his "Big 3," so Robinson-Savard was the top pair at even strength, Lapointe-Savard, on the PK, and Lapointe-Robinson on the PP.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I would say he is underrated. Even though I hated the Habs in the 70's he was a very good defensiveman. Another D-man that was also very good was Don Awrey with the Bruins and then played for the Habs for a couple of years in the mid '70's.

You can't seriously compare Don Awrey to Guy Lapointe.

FiveForDrawingBlood

May 25, 2010
Lapointe had a hard, accurate shot. He was good playing the point on powerplay. He is one of Habs #5 defensmen of all time. I would put him ahead of JC Tremblay

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
In his book "The Game", Ken Dryden illuded to Lapointe being the most talent of the big 3 at the time. Not sure how he put it, some scholarly phrasing, no doubt, that would not offend Robinson or Savard.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I don't think it's obvious. Niedermayer was the leading Canadian vote getter for 3 straight Norris trophies, so I think he had the better peak than Lapointe. But it was only 3 seasons long. Lapointe was an elite defenseman for much longer. Depends on how you weight the factors.

Not sure about Lapointe having a longer time as an elite Dman than Nieds.

An interesting comp though since both guys suffered from playing with Dmen who overshadowed them to some degree.
Just for fun I comapred the top scoring dmen of both players times from age 22-30 (Lapointe's prime)

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=games_played

Lapointe looks better on these terms but Nieds aged way better and has that Conn Smythe as well and played for Canada in the Olympics in his final year (indicating that he might have had more in the tank).

At the end of the day Lapointe is probably (as of the end of the 10 seasons) in the top 30 for Dmen but behind Nieds IMO.

Not sure why some would consider him underrated form that lsit in his prime at least 2 and maybe 3 guys below him (Savard, Salming and Robinson) probably should be rated above him for their entire careers.

Back to the OP why do you think he is underrated and where do you rank him all time?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Not sure about Lapointe having a longer time as an elite Dman than Nieds.

Niedermayer was an elite defenseman for about as long as the Montreal dynasty in the 70s lasted. And Lapointe was known as an elite defenseman well before the dynasty (he and Savard would particularly effective when they played together in the 72 Summit series, from what I recall).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Not a bad peak if I may say.

1st team all-star: 1973
2nd team all-star: 1975, 1976, 1977

The guy is criminally underrated for sure. Played big parts on Team Canada in 1972 and 1976 as well. Was trustworthy, would join the rush, was a decent size too.

The Hockey News once bad mouthed the guy putting him in the category of HHOFers who don't deserve to be in there. Don't worry, it was crazy Ken Campbell writing the article we all know how he's revered around here, but still.

The crazy thing is people underrate him because of Robinson, not so much Savard. No doubt Robinson was the better defenseman who had the better career. With Savard you could flip a coin although Lapointe did have a better Norris voting record.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Niedermayer was an elite defenseman for about as long as the Montreal dynasty in the 70s lasted. And Lapointe was known as an elite defenseman well before the dynasty (he and Savard would particularly effective when they played together in the 72 Summit series, from what I recall).

Both guys had a 9 year run of "eliteness" and Nieds was pretty good after his late start year for another 2 seasons.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Please, oh please tell me which years encompass Niedermayer's "9 year run."

well he made the all star team in 98, 04, 06 and 07 and was still a top Dman in the 2 years after his 08 late start year which wasn't very good.

He also had 2 good playoff years before 98 and at least a couple of good seasons as well.

Everyone knows that you are more of a Stevens fan but at least give Nieds his due here.

Do you disagree that he should be ranked above Lapointe?

I know we had a discussion once about where Nieds should be placed but can't remember.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
well he made the all star team in 98, 04, 06 and 07 and was still a top Dman in the 2 years after his 08 late start year which wasn't very good.

He also had 2 good playoff years before 98 and at least a couple of good seasons as well.

Everyone knows that you are more of a Stevens fan but at least give Nieds his due here.

Do you disagree that he should be ranked above Lapointe?

I know we had a discussion once about where Nieds should be placed but can't remember.

Niedermayer's 1998 was kind of a fluke season for him, where he scored a lot more points than he did in any other year until his Norris season. He got recognition because of the points he put up that season, not really his overall game (which was pretty good, not elite). I've seen Niedermayer of the era compared to Jay Bouwmeester and I think it's a good comparison - very good defenseman, has all the tools to be elite but not the toolbox, never really in the conversation for the true elite talents in the league.

When the Devils were winning the Cup in 2000, Niedermayer was a 30 point defenseman, who was still prone to errors in his own end.

I rank Guy Lapointe and Niedermayer very close to each other. I do have Lapointe slightly ahead though.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I agree that he was underrated, it gets much tougher though when comparing him to particular players from another era.

What a tremendous top 3 Dman those Habs teams had.

Robinson, Savard, Lapointe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad