Guy Lafleur goes on strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Lafleur was surprised to learn that Darryl Sittler earns $200,000 as an ambassador for the Leafs - more than twice what Lafleur gets from the Canadiens - and would be seeking a better deal.

Really, i hope the owners get to address the ambassador salary cap in the next cba. One crazy owner offers 200k, and now all the owners have to pay it.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
thinkwild said:
Really, i hope the owners get to address the ambassador salary cap in the next cba. One crazy owner offers 200k, and now all the owners have to pay it.

Perfect example of why the owners want to regain control of their business. Total free market without controls no longer works in professional sports. At least not when all players are connected on line and share/compare all information pertaining to finances. Players have an ego and most think they deserve more than the next guy.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005
This thread is poorly titled. Nothing in the article states anything about Lafleur going on strike. He is at the end of his contract, and wants to negotiate a new one when appropriate.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I don't see Guy requesting more money than his idol, Jean Beliveau for similiar appearances.

chiavsfan

I can't find the link, but it was on TSN a few weeks back...Guy LaFluer blamed the players for this whole mess, so this is an interesting thread started by the PA mouthpiece

Guy Lafleur: "The players took advantage of the situation in 1994. They won the lottery for 10 years in a row. I have nothing against the guys who have taken advantage of the system for 10 years, I'm very happy for them. But it makes no sense. These guys have to be realistic. I know it's going to be tough for them to leave this money behind, but they were lucky to have it for 10 years. From the beginning, the owners said they were going for a salary cap and they stuck to their plan. That's why there's no hockey today.

How can a business survive when they give 75 per cent of their revenue to salaries? There's no (expletive) business in the world that can. None...I have no respect for the mentality of some of the players. They say I'm frustrated I didn't make their type of money. Well, I don't give a (expletive). We played with passion, for the love of the game. If today's players are so smart, why don't they buy a (expletive) franchise and they'll see what's going on.

Not TSN, but the quote from TSN (Well down the page)

Last edited:

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
eye said:
Perfect example of why the owners want to regain control of their business. Total free market without controls no longer works in professional sports. At least not when all players are connected on line and share/compare all information pertaining to finances. Players have an ego and most think they deserve more than the next guy.
does your employment have a salary cap ? why should Guy's ?

dont say yes you have a cap, what you have is a budget.
do you not have an ego and think you deserve as much as the next guy at your work ?

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i'm not sure this thread has anything to do at all with the tsn story.

i'm impressed with how distorted the title and some posts are.

first lafleur's not on strike, his contract is expiring, nothing more.

second, lafleur didn't say he wants what sittler makes. in fact, he wasn't quoted at all. it was his agent who was quoted saying ''Obviously, we'll try to improve the contract we have, but we're not saying he doesn't want to stay with the Canadiens,''..

geez, i can't believe how distorted some people's biases are starting to affect their perceptions, including the CP reporter him/herself.

Bauer83

Aug 27, 2004
DR said:

do you not have an ego and think you deserve as much as the next guy at your work ?

Don't start this garbage. This just does not work. They are completely seperate businesses, professional sports and the really world. No my employer has a budget, but if I suck it up I get fired. I am not given guaranteed raises. If I hold out for money, more often then not they will just walk away cause the market has way too many engineers in it already. In some cases if you are that valuable to a company you might be able to hold out for money, but most certainly not young in your career no matter how good you are. Other businesses are not needed in order for my company to survive, and the more competition that goes under the better it is for us. on and on and on and on. The two things cannot be compared, as professional sports is a completely different ball game.

labatt50

Feb 26, 2005
DR said:

Lots of big business have "position caps". Certain positions top out (cap) at certain dollar amounts. Let's say if you are middle management your position may top out at 45,000.00. In essense this is a cap. In Guy's instance, it would fall under their budget, obviously Toronto has a higher budget than Montreal. Whether he said things or his agent did, it kind of reduces the meaning of ambassador to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad