Confirmed with Link: Guy Carbonneau elected to HHOF

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I love throwing Rod Langway at people that say Carbonneau was a one-way piece of shit.

For the record, I think Langway was totally worthy of the HOF. But if Robinson, Stevens & Murphy aren't a thing, Langway doesn't get in.

Athletique_Canadien

Dec 13, 2005
Halifax, NS
Another thing NEVER really mentioned about Carbo. Ask old timer fans about his career and they'll tell you, "He was an offensive dynamo until Gainey pulled him under his wing and told him to emulate him". Is it Carbo's fault he followed BOb? Number 2, some old timer fans even go so far as to say that the Habs ruined his career for the exact same reason. And no, he was not elected due to coaching.

cujo1117

Mar 30, 2018
the real question is...are we going to retire his ? cuz we only do hall of famers

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
He was VERY clutch, on both ends of the ice.

Gainey's rightful heir. We've had Plekanec and Danault playing good 2-way hockey since but Gainey & Carbo were the best at their style of hockey.

came here to say something like this, nicely put.

Reactions: Mandala

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Carbo was a scientific defensive hockey player. Although not as physical as Gainey, he was better at shadowing player. He developed it as an art form. His shot blocking abilities haven't been matched yet. He had those huuuge shinpads to block shots, and his slides were PERFECTLY timed.

I loved Carbo. Not an angel by any means off the ice, he was one of the last true warriors to have adorned this sacred jersey.

Reactions: Kimota and Mandala

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
I've had quite the little argument on the History sub-board about this and I've got to say, I loved it. Well spoken, knowledgeable guys.

Not sure I won my argument, but I know for damn sure that Carbonneau belongs.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
By far the best player in history for blocking shots. His technique was perfect. I am 44 years old and I have seen Carbo's prime and no one today is as good as him for blocking shots,,,no one

If you are 44yrs old, your memory must be slipping :) Guy doesn't even rank in the NHL's history books for blocked shots, he just appears to be better because we are cheering for the CH.

• Most blocked shots, one season: Kris Russell (2014–15), 283
  • Most blocked shots, one playoff season: Anton Volchenkov (2007), 80
  • Most blocked shots, career: Dan Girardi, 1846
  • Most blocked shots, playoffs career: Chris Pronger, 374
  • Most blocked shots, one game: Kris Russell (March 5, 2015), 15
  • Most blocked shots, one playoff game: Richard Matvichuk (May 1, 2001), 13
A great player, I loved watching him in the playoffs.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Carbo was a scientific defensive hockey player. Although not as physical as Gainey, he was better at shadowing player. He developed it as an art form. His shot blocking abilities haven't been matched yet. He had those huuuge shinpads to block shots, and his slides were PERFECTLY timed.

I loved Carbo. Not an angel by any means off the ice, he was one of the last true warriors to have adorned this sacred jersey.

Damn right! A true warrior. Was watching some of his games not too long ago. It was a nostalgia trip but man I loved him as a player. These kind of guys just do not exist anymore. A mix of killer instinct and incredible vision of the game. You would put him on the ice in any important situations and you had all the confidence in the World that he would not screw up and he would everything to make his team win. A player's player.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If you are 44yrs old, your memory must be slipping :) Guy doesn't even rank in the NHL's history books for blocked shots, he just appears to be better because we are cheering for the CH.

Such a great list of forwards. Oh wait they are all dmen ;)

Reactions: snakeye

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

No suspicion raised by the recency of all those records?

I wasn’t a statistic until 2005.

How dare you question someone’s memory failing when this is such a brazenly thoughtless post.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad