Confirmed with Link: Guy Carbonneau elected to HHOF

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Well deserved in my opinion. Just a great hockey player. Best defensive forward of his generation.
Honestly, I'm pretty good with my hockey trivia usually, but I somehow took for granted he was a HOFer. Well deserved. One of my favorite players growing.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No, his career high was 57 points.

Carbo was a little over 0.5 PPG for his career, most of which was played in a high scoring era. Only the end of his career was in the dead puck era. Amazing defensive forward but this just shows how low the HOF standards are.
Carbonneau was a different kind of player though. He was a great player but not for his scoring.

Every night he'd face Gretz, Mario, Yzerman etc... and he was really good at shutting them down. Three Selke's is pretty damn good and he was the best at what he did when he played.

I think he's worthy of inclusion.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Anyone who’s looking at point totals, never watched the man play. He was THE best defensive forward the game has seen (that wasn’t named Gainey). Night in, night out when Carbo was on the ice, you never worried about being scored on short handed or if he’d lose a big draw... it simply didn’t happen often. He shutdown top lines, top players and he had a decent scoring touch himself when he wasn’t focused on keeping the puck out of the net. I wish we had a Carbo today we’d be a lot closer to a cup.

Congratulations to one of the all time greatest defensive forwards the game has ever seen. The Hall should honour guys like this, it’s not always about point totals. The lowering standards comments are both unwarranted and incorrect.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
So what’s missing.....3 cups, 3 Selke, 1300 gp ?

No offence I’m just curious......how about Patrice Bergeron when he’s done?

Carbo's never reached 60 points playing in the 80's. He was a great defensive forward, but that's all he was. There were/are tons of them. Does Jere Lehtinen get in? I mean where do you draw the line? The Hall of Fame is supposed to be for the elite. A 60 point forward is not elite no matter how good defensively he is. Patrice Bergeron is a much better player so I'm not sure there's a comparison here.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Carbo was never about points. He frustrated Peter Stastny so much he almost took Carbo's head off with a baseball type swing before stopping himself. He was a shut down guy in a era before zones and neutral zone traps. It was man to man. He shut down Gretzky in the 93 Stanley Cup finals and was a tremendous leader on that team. He was a Bergeron/ROR type of that era. Competitive, gutsy player.

3 Selkes, 3 Stanley Cups, a well deserved nomination.

Jul 6, 2016
Very well deserved. A guy who was an offensive dynamo in Juniors and AHL and who accepted a more defensive role at NHL level and excelled at it.

Reactions: Mandala

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Zubov got in too ? Thats iffy... He never even won a norris, has only one AS-2... He's on the same level as Markov, if you ask me.
He was better offensively than Markov imo, but I think they're pretty equal in overall impact.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
They should've gone full Carbo-connection and get Eric Desjardins enshrined, because him and Zubov are ultimately very close players.

Reactions: Fixxer

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
He was VERY clutch, on both ends of the ice.

Gainey's rightful heir. We've had Plekanec and Danault playing good 2-way hockey since but Gainey & Carbo were the best at their style of hockey.
Yes Carbo was special, one of the best ever. I remember prime Lemieux having to play against Carbo only to get goose eggs while he would tear up all the other teams in the league. Carbo seemed to score more while playing against the other teams best players, he would feed off of their mistakes.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I love him, he just isn't good enough. Nothing against him or the Habs.
5CD6B600-8F8F-44F7-B596-CF9A20965259.gif

Reactions: dinodebino

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
By far the best player in history for blocking shots. His technique was perfect. I am 44 years old and I have seen Carbo's prime and no one today is as good as him for blocking shots,,,no one
Roy had it easy on penalty kills. You had Carbo and Ludwig sometimes with more blocked shots in a game than Roy had saves.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Carbo was never about points. He frustrated Peter Stastny so much he almost took Carbo's head off with a baseball type swing before stopping himself. He was a shut down guy in a era before zones and neutral zone traps. It was man to man. He shut down Gretzky in the 93 Stanley Cup finals and was a tremendous leader on that team. He was a Bergeron/ROR type of that era. Competitive, gutsy player.

3 Selkes, 3 Stanley Cups, a well deserved nomination.
Carbo would shutdown Mario Lemieux every time they competed against each other. Mario would of shredded Patrice Bergeron. I think the people that say he is not HOF never really saw him play. If Montreal got the lead they would rarely every gave it back, as Carbo would see his minutes rise to keep that lead.

Reactions: dinodebino

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Anecdotal, but he seemed to score big goals.

I remember once in the waning moments of a series victory against the Nords, Peter Stastny took a gratuitous shot at him. His frustration boiled over. Carbo just laughed in his face.

One of my recollections old him was in the midst of the 1993 celebration, he quietly mentioned that the team had lost Claude Mouton that year, and they were missing him. It wasn’t PR, it was sincere and impromptu.

Trading him was the watershed moment where brand started to trump hockey.

Soooo true.

There HAD to be something else, the reason thay gave was so ridiculous, even at the time. For me this trade really started the downward spiral that lead to the dark years that followed.

They never truly replaced his leadership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->