Guy Boucher Excuses Thread

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
This is supposed to be a thread talking about all the excuses Boucher makes, not a thread about people making excuses for his poor performance. Boucher is simply a bad coach. Even under the adverse conditions of the team, he is still performing poorly. The Senators are ranked 31st in the league. There are multiple coaches who could perform better than Boucher given the same roster and same challenges. It is actually unbelievable that there are still fans defending him and making excuses for him. Boucher should have been fired a long time a go and it is a complete joke that he is still around.

Jimmy Hendrix couldn't shred without a guitar.

I think you underestimate just how bad Ottawa is. Especially on the back end.

Maybe another coach could have won a couple more games ... But this team is just plain bad.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
This is supposed to be a thread talking about all the excuses Boucher makes, not a thread about people making excuses for his poor performance. Boucher is simply a bad coach. Even under the adverse conditions of the team, he is still performing poorly. The Senators are ranked 31st in the league. There are multiple coaches who could perform better than Boucher given the same roster and same challenges. It is actually unbelievable that there are still fans defending him and making excuses for him. Boucher should have been fired a long time a go and it is a complete joke that he is still around.

Shockingly, a thread about coaching would see debate about coaching.

Regarding the bolded, just how much better do you think this team would perform with one of those coaches? I don't see any coach turning this roster into a playoff calibre one. Too little experience on the blueline, depth players aren't consistent or even NHL calibre.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Jimmy Hendrix couldn't shred without a guitar.

I think you underestimate just how bad Ottawa is. Especially on the back end.

Maybe another coach could have won a couple more games ... But this team is just plain bad.

I agree the team is bad but I do think there is a worthwhile debate about how well they could perform under different coaches. Hypothetically if you could pick any current NHL coach, how well would they perform with this team? Could they be 25th place? 20th place? Higher?

I just think that some on here overlook Boucher's flaws given the conditions of the team. Personally I think this is a bad roster with a bad coach. I am not denying that this is a bad team, I am just claiming that Boucher is a bad coach.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Shockingly, a thread about coaching would see debate about coaching.

Regarding the bolded, just how much better do you think this team would perform with one of those coaches? I don't see any coach turning this roster into a playoff calibre one. Too little experience on the blueline, depth players aren't consistent or even NHL calibre.

I am not sure exactly. I agree that it would be extremely unlikely if not impossible for a coach to turn this into a playoff team. I think maybe under idealistic scenarios such as a great coach that maybe this team could be up to 20th place or maybe better. But given the fact that our owner isn't willing to pay for a great coach, I think that it is possible that there are coaches that could get this team to 25th place or possibly better. Still not great but better than 31st overall.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I agree the team is bad but I do think there is a worthwhile debate about how well they could perform under different coaches. Hypothetically if you could pick any current NHL coach, how well would they perform with this team? Could they be 25th place? 20th place? Higher?

I just think that some on here overlook Boucher's flaws given the conditions of the team. Personally I think this is a bad roster with a bad coach. I am not denying that this is a bad team, I am just claiming that Boucher is a bad coach.

It's hypothetical so we really have no way to know.

Maybe some players would respond differently to a different coach, I don't know. Maybe a few more wins could have come from a different set of coaches with a different set of systems. Maybe a few more power play goals could have gathered a few more points in the standings. Or a couple more kills.

But the blue line just isn't capable of playing a system. Any system. The brain farts just happen too much. The coach can't play for them.

Reactions: Cloud

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Not just the roster being bad. It's all the off ice distractions from fans revolting, lebreton , knowing ur best players are going to leave .

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Not just the roster being bad. It's all the off ice distractions from fans revolting, lebreton , knowing ur best players are going to leave .
The team also went in to the season knowing there was about a 95% chance they were going to have a poor season and definitely miss the playoffs based on the talent pool and I can't imagine its all that motivating either. Even the comments to start the year were at best half positives about trying their best and seeing where the chips fall, they knew as well as we did.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Boucher carries a positive outlook because everything in Ottawa is negative - if the coach was an angry, brooding personality this entire thing would sour.

I don’t question his will to win and his work ethic or his hockey intelligence. He has the tools of a great coach, just doesn’t have the players.

And I like the teams attitude, they play hard and they play for each other. That’s because of Boucher’s positivity IMO

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Boucher carries a positive outlook because everything in Ottawa is negative - if the coach was an angry, brooding personality this entire thing would sour.

I don’t question his will to win and his work ethic or his hockey intelligence. He has the tools of a great coach, just doesn’t have the players.

And I like the teams attitude, they play hard and they play for each other. That’s because of Boucher’s positivity IMO
I don't really care about the attitude to be honest. What bothers me are the tactics, which is something a coach should be accountable for. His main tactic here from day 1 has been to play with the puck as little as humanly possible and give the other team the puck easily by being predictable with the off the boards chip play. That hasn't changed in almost 3 years. He's proven he cannot adapt or change. That was the case in Tampa too.

The you have the 11-7 garbage. Some D man will get 7 minutes and the top forwards play 25 minutes in game one of a back to back. He's terrible at managing the game and the season.

Bill Belichek is about the most miserable SOB on the planet and he's the greatest coach of all time in the NFL. He is a tactical genius who will exploit the other team. Boucher is about the easiest coach in the league to tactically exploit. We don't need a Tony Robbins as a coach, we need a Belichek.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don't really care about the attitude to be honest. What bothers me are the tactics, which is something a coach should be accountable for. His main tactic here from day 1 has been to play with the puck as little as humanly possible and give the other team the puck easily by being predictable with the off the boards chip play. That hasn't changed in almost 3 years. He's proven he cannot adapt or change. That was the case in Tampa too.

The you have the 11-7 garbage. Some D man will get 7 minutes and the top forwards play 25 minutes in game one of a back to back. He's terrible at managing the game and the season.

Bill Belichek is about the most miserable SOB on the planet and he's the greatest coach of all time in the NFL. He is a tactical genius who will exploit the other team. Boucher is about the easiest coach in the league to tactically exploit. We don't need a Tony Robbins as a coach, we need a Belichek.

Belichek had multiple losing seasons and burnt bridges at with a few organizations and was considered hard to work for before he became Bill Belichek the greatest.

It wasn’t until a Belichek put Brady in at QB that he was considered a genius. And he had full organizational support.

Bad example - but I get your point. You want a winner. Winners aren’t brought into organizations they grow within them.

Daryl Sutter was considered a dinosaur and was out of hockey before he won 2 Cups.

Claude Julien was on his last coaching legs in Boston and down a 1 single MUST WIN game in Boston or he’d be fired and they won the Cup that playoffs with their comeback over Philly.

Ottawa isn’t going to find a cure all at coach, because they don’t exist. If they did, Belichek would have won in Cleveland and he was 36-44. 4 losing seasons in Cleveland and 2 losing seasons out of his first 3 in NE.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Its everyone's fault besides Boucher?

Clearly Boucher plays a part. Just like it's partly codi cecis fault. But if ceci is asked to play a position he can't possibly succeed in ... Aren't the higher ups a little more to blame?

Bump it up to the assistant coach for employing a strategy that doesn't work. Then to the head coach for a system that isn't working. Then to rhe gm for not giving the coach the players he needs to succeed. Where does it lead after that?

I think we all know what the major problem with this franchise is.

Everything below that is just a symptom of the larger issue.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Belichek had multiple losing seasons and burnt bridges at with a few organizations and was considered hard to work for before he became Bill Belichek the greatest.

It wasn’t until a Belichek put Brady in at QB that he was considered a genius. And he had full organizational support.

Bad example - but I get your point. You want a winner. Winners aren’t brought into organizations they grow within them.

Daryl Sutter was considered a dinosaur and was out of hockey before he won 2 Cups.

Claude Julien was on his last coaching legs in Boston and down a 1 single MUST WIN game in Boston or he’d be fired and they won the Cup that playoffs with their comeback over Philly.

Ottawa isn’t going to find a cure all at coach, because they don’t exist. If they did, Belichek would have won in Cleveland and he was 36-44. 4 losing seasons in Cleveland and 2 losing seasons out of his first 3 in NE.
I don't think you're really understanding what I'm saying. Boucher has shown to be a poor decision maker and game planner. His "system" is a mix of very poor tactics that are easy to play against and exploit that never change.

I'd like a coach who actually has some kind of tactical approach, not a clinical psychological one. Every team in the league has a leg up on us when ever we take to the ice because they know exactly what we're going to do. That's Boucher's fault, no one else's.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I don't think you're really understanding what I'm saying. Boucher has shown to be a poor decision maker and game planner. His "system" is a mix of very poor tactics that are easy to play against and exploit that never change.

I'd like a coach who actually has some kind of tactical approach, not a clinical psychological one. Every team in the league has a leg up on us when ever we take to the ice because they know exactly what we're going to do. That's Boucher's fault, no one else's.

No I get it, but your saying you want Belichek and his first 8 seasons as a HC he missed the playoffs 6 times and had bad losing records many of those years.

If you can tell me you knew BB was a genius before everyone else then good for you. What BB had was a philosophy of how to win and he held to it, just like GB is doing.

Boucher is a good coach. He’s tactically intelligent, a good teacher, good with rookies and good with veterans.

Boucher had taken 2 teams to the ECF in 5 seasons. So let’s agree to disagree on this

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
No I get it, but your saying you want Belichek and his first 8 seasons as a HC he missed the playoffs 6 times and had bad losing records many of those years.

If you can tell me you knew BB was a genius before everyone else then good for you. What BB had was a philosophy of how to win and he held to it, just like GB is doing.

Boucher is a good coach. He’s tactically intelligent, a good teacher, good with rookies and good with veterans.

Boucher had taken 2 teams to the ECF in 5 seasons. So let’s agree to disagree on this
Boucher has missed the playoffs 4/6 seasons he's coached in the NHL. That's bad. He deserves no credit for Ottawa making the Eastern final. That team made it in spite of his passive system on the back of a once in a generation performance by the best player who's ever worn a Sens sweater.

I can't tell you what Belichick did in Cleveland and whether he was the tactical genius he is now. But I can tell you Guy Boucher is no tactical genius. We haven't seen him once out coach the other team in at least 100 games straight here.

Like you were saying, he projects a positive mentality in dire circumstances. His background is sports psychology. That's is what I assume is his strength in this position. But it has resulted in a a record of 188 wins in 411 games coached in the NhL. Its not enough. I use Belichek to contrast because he's a miserable a hole. Not a motivator. I'm not throwing all of sports psychology out of the window, I just don't that it's an important aspect of a head coach's job.

A good tactician wouldn't make his team deliberately play without the puck so frequently, at almost historical levels. This is a feature of his own tactics. There is simply no logical basis or argument for claiming Boucher is "tactically intelligent". This is a man who sees great value in putting a guy like Tom Pyatt on the ice.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Any coach can look good with a good roster. His performance:
  • 2010-2011: finished 8th
  • 2011-2012: finished 21st
  • 2012-2013: finished 28th
  • 2016-2017: finished 12th
  • 2017-2018: finished 30th
  • 2018-2019: currently sits 31st
What is the excuse for last season and for his second and third season in Tampa Bay?
The evidence does not suggest that Boucher is a good coach. I posted elsewhere a more detailed breakdown of hi performance each season. I can find that again if need be.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Any coach can look good with a good roster. His performance:
  • 2010-2011: finished 8th
  • 2011-2012: finished 21st
  • 2012-2013: finished 28th
  • 2016-2017: finished 12th
  • 2017-2018: finished 30th
  • 2018-2019: currently sits 31st
What is the excuse for last season and for his second and third season in Tampa Bay?
The evidence does not suggest that Boucher is a good coach. I posted elsewhere a more detailed breakdown of hi performance each season. I can find that again if need be.
To be fair, this roster doesn't deserve much if any better.

I have issues with Boucher, so I won't miss him too much when he is gone, but a coach can only do so much. The roster has had giant holes since the moment he took over and it has only gotten worse.

Cloud

Feb 22, 2016
Yukon
Fair. However he can make the best of a bad situation by sitting bad players and not playing favorites. In game decisions etc

The problem with this assessment is that if he actually did that...we'd be a one line team at the forward position, with Chabot playing defense and no goalie in the crease...you know at some point people have to come to terms with the fact that this just isn't a good team.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The problem with this assessment is that if he actually did that...we'd be a one line team at the forward position, with Chabot playing defense and no goalie in the crease...you know at some point people have to come to terms with the fact that this just isn't a good team.
No one is disputing that the team isn't good it's just the coach is also horrible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad