Guy Boucher Excuses Thread

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Considering that Guy Boucher has so many excuses both before and after games to justify losing, this thread is designed to keep track of and critically analyze all of them. Feel free to post and discuss your favorite Boucher excuses or any of his excuses where he contradicts himself to justify losing in multiple games.

014e4e37646550076a8ef0fe8eff16842cbca240dd857b0e6f75f5798c2facd1.jpg

65ff0930308cfbc2e2e5b2c65a77effb.jpg

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Dudes defeated. Imagine having to work with this roster and knowing all the drama and distractions happening off the ice with the team

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
not actual quotes

after losing a second game of a back to back
"I thought we played real good, but the energy was gone and you just know it was a back to back maybe if we didn't play the other night that would be one extra goal for us"

after losing to a team that just played the night before.
"Well you know they were just in that game mode, they played last night and they had the juices going, they were ready.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
As annoying as bouchers antics are, no coach in the world would make this roster competitive.

I don't know if I fully agree with this, we have a lot of deadweight on the team, but have a few really high tier players. We shouldn't be in last place with top guys in Stone, Duchene, and Chabot and solid depth guys like Dzingel,Pageau...and...never mind there's nobody else who really falls into this category yet. yeah our team kind of blows. You're right. Hopefully our young guys get good fast.

Reactions: Caesar Rex

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Dudes defeated. Imagine having to work with this roster and knowing all the drama and distractions happening off the ice with the team
Imagine having to work with this roster and knowing he’s about to lose Stone, Duchene and Dzingle.

Reactions: DrEasy and HSF

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
As annoying as bouchers antics are, no coach in the world would make this roster competitive.
Yup.

Some of Boucher’s decisions annoy me...about half as much as the roster he’s been given to work with.

Thanks Eugene and Pierre!!!

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Fair. However he can make the best of a bad situation by sitting bad players and not playing favorites. In game decisions etc

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Back to Backs, travel, bad bounces, unlucky you name the excuse it's been used, at times justified but generally not imo...perfect example was used pre game yesterday where he provided all the excuses for the poor effort we later witnessed. I get being a touch rusty but this is pro hockey and poor performances should never be expected and accepted imo.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He said before the game that they hope to be in it half way through and then make a game of it.

Hey look what happened!!

Nice way to prepare your players. “Just hang in there. Try to score in the second half of the game if you poor guys aren’t too tired, mmmmmk?”

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Some of you people are giving him too much credit. Yes roster sucks but so does the coaching staff. The horrendous defensive structure has been horrible for 3 years now, even with a winning team, the stupid 11-7 scheme he keeps reverting to, the overplaying of crappy vets over younger better guys etc.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Here's an excuse for him, and it's scalable after the deadline: Ottawa is currently 2nd last at about 61 mil in player expenses when you take expected salary expenditures (according to Capfriendly) and substract the 80% of the players presumed to be covered by insurance for each team, about 1 mil ahead of Phoenix, and looking as though it will drop fast...

I haven't crunched the numbers, but it likely gets worse when you remove expenses for retention and player buyouts.

Boucher is trying to put lipstick on a pig, he's between a rock and a hard place here.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Boucher was screwed before the season began. No coach in history could make a team with that defense win games.

Reactions: Cloud

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Imagine having to work with this roster and knowing he’s about to lose Stone, Duchene and Dzingle.
It's career suicide he probably wished he was fired at the season start

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
With the experience on D everyone could see this season would be a disaster. No matter who’s coaching. When Ceci and Bork (auto correct but I’m leaving it) are your 2 vets on D, no amount of coaching will help.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
It's career suicide he probably wished he was fired at the season start

That's the way I feel about this too. He has to show that he can remain positive, for future employers. And honestly, what is he supposed to say everyday for a full season? "I don't know if you've heard but our team is a tire fire, what did you expect to happen?" or "I go 7 and 11 because I literally don't have 18 nhl players to use in any given game so I'm just playing around with this. Next game I was thinking of dressing 3 goalies "

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa

Mostly agree.

For some reason, I don’t have the same level of frustration towards Boucher as most. Lately, it has been changing for the worse, but I seem to give him more slack for the very reason you stated in the last part of your post....

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
This is supposed to be a thread talking about all the excuses Boucher makes, not a thread about people making excuses for his poor performance. Boucher is simply a bad coach. Even under the adverse conditions of the team, he is still performing poorly. The Senators are ranked 31st in the league. There are multiple coaches who could perform better than Boucher given the same roster and same challenges. It is actually unbelievable that there are still fans defending him and making excuses for him. Boucher should have been fired a long time a go and it is a complete joke that he is still around.

Reactions: Senafan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad