Guy Boucher discuss ice time management with young players

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
I had no idea where to post this so I created a thread, but moderators may have a better idea.

I think everyone should listen to this discussion with Guy Boucher on RDS about ice time management during a game, with rookies in regards to vets. Unfortunately for many here, it is in French, but he describes very well what happens to a coach trying to play his players during the course of the game. Suzuki vs KK is discussed a lot.

https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/ln...el-a-l-ordre-de-guy-boucher-on-jase-3.1342229

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
I had no idea where to post this so I created a thread, but moderators may have a better idea.

I think everyone should listen to this discussion with Guy Boucher on RDS about ice time management during a game, with rookies in regards to vets. Unfortunately for many here, it is in French, but he describes very well what happens to a coach trying to play his players during the course of the game. Suzuki vs KK is discussed a lot.

https://www.rds.ca/videos/hockey/ln...el-a-l-ordre-de-guy-boucher-on-jase-3.1342229
I miss Boucher. The period when he was working with the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Reactions: Tyson

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Someone should make this video a sticky.

Reactions: Edgy

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
In his most successful season as a coach, he didn't shy away from playing Stamkos (20) & Hedman (19) 20+min/game...

Plus had Downie (23), Purcell(24) & Tyrell (21) as regulars in the lineup.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
TIL: Guy Boucher is a ***** and is scared of what his veterans think. No wonder he's been fired twice.

very insightful post. No coach would make it to the NHL if they gave up the second time they are fired along the way. You want coaches to have amazing man management skills but only specifically for young players? start searching in psychiatric hospitals for CJ's replacement.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
very insightful post. No coach would make it to the NHL if they gave up the second time they are fired along the way. You want coaches to have amazing man management skills but only specifically for young players? start searching in psychiatric hospitals for CJ's replacement.
Yes, I agree, a coach with a background in psychology would be perfect....

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Guy Boucher has a masters in sports psychology. Better than a poster with a background in ****all.
Woosh.

Funny enough, Guy and I are going to be grads of the same university.

Guy is smart and knows a lot, I think he has two other degrees, he's a good coach... I just don't understand why he'd say these things, it makes no sense.

Reactions: Edgy and Toene

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Woosh.

Guy is smart and knows a lot, I think he has two other degrees, he's a good coach... I just don't understand why he'd say these things, it makes no sense.

thanks for toning it down, I think it will bring out the best of both of us. which specific part of what he said do you disagree with ?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Woosh.

He's singing the bleu-blanc-rouge song, making sure Bergy knows he's outdated enough to get the coaching gig

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Woosh.

trying to build browny points with the establishment brotherhood...

NHL isn't about meritocracy, it's about building and maintaining key relationships.

Boucher was on the right track, but came face to face with the hard reality that in an environment where results/outcomes are always subject to a large degree of chance, doing things the right things isn't as important as managing relationships and your network the "right" way...

even moreso for a french-canadian coach/exec...

Reactions: Mrb1p

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
trying to build browny points with the establishment brotherhood...

NHL isn't about meritocracy, it's about building and maintaining key relationships.

Boucher was on the right track, but came face to face with the hard reality that in an environment where results/outcomes are always subject to a large degree of chance, doing things the right things isn't as important as managing relationships and your network the "right" way...

even moreso for a french-canadian coach/exec...

so you do not believe what he said was genuinely how he felt ?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
thanks for toning it down, I think it will bring out the best of both of us. which specific part of what he said do you disagree with ?
I thought the joke about the psychology background was obvious.

Anyway, I question his "losing the room" comment. Its a coachs job to make the hard choices and make them respected around. If he says this about young guys, what do the other guys in the room think of the treatment of Armia, Weal, Lekhonen whove been playing above their paygrade for quite some time? Weird. Also, as it was pointed out above, Boucher has utilised young guys heavily before. Just a really weird comment.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

"genuine" is an interesting word...

when ones career pathways, and the gatekeepers in front of them become clear, is it not "genuine" to cater to them?

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
"genuine" is an interesting word...

when ones career pathways, and the gatekeepers in front of them become clear, is it not "genuine" to cater to them?

I understand what you mean, but I would like an honest answer to an honest question.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I understand what you mean, but I would like an honest answer to an honest question.

that was honest...

I don't presume to know, or be able to know, what's in another person's inner thoughts.

What we do know is that his comments now come while:
- he's unemployed
- he's coming off of a very poor situation in Ottawa (that objectively shouldn't diminish his prospects given the cluster F*** he had to navigate)
- he was fired from TB very quickly despite having had "exceed expectations" results just 1 year prior
- he's a french canadian coach in a league where peers with his lineage have a far harder time than anglo-canadian coaches in resurfacing... especially without doing so in one of the few org's where a french canadian has a lot of power
- his comments run in contrast to the most successful season he had as an NHL coach (and AHL coach... where he leveraged young pros like PK, Price and White to win the calder cup... a trophy that usually gets won by teams with a roster skewing older rather than younger).

so again, can't know what's in his heart of hearts... but i've certainly witnessed enough highly competent professionals shift gears from preaching what they know to be right, to what they know to be career expedient, to suspect that this take is more career pragmatism than it is deeply held belief.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think he's hired to give a different perspective...he says it at the end of the video.
So hes playing the coach perspective side, however, it's not a coincidence players hover around the same time. It ain't this game of circumstances he's pushing.
The fact Suzuki centered Armia tonight in parts also shows Martin was more right than him...
And when he says if you send in a kid who hasn't earned his icetime over a vet then players will talk, well, playing your bottom liners a lot will also...so will giving them Pp time.

I think there is some truth to what he says, but he makes it out to be much bigger than it is.

Reactions: THE HOFF

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
that was honest...

I don't presume to know, or be able to know, what's in another person's inner thoughts.

- he's unemployed
- he's coming off of a very poor situation in Ottawa (that objectively shouldn't diminish his prospects given the cluster F*** he had to navigate)
- he was fired from TB very quickly despite having had "exceed expectations" results just 1 year prior
- he's a french canadian coach in a league where peers with his lineage have a far harder time than anglo-canadian coaches in resurfacing... especially without doing so in one of the few org's where a french canadian has a lot of power
- his comments run in contrast to the most successful season he had as an NHL coach (and AHL coach... where he leveraged young pros like PK, Price and White to win the calder cup... a trophy that usually gets won by teams with a roster skewing older rather than younger).

so again, can't know what's in his heart of hearts... but i've certainly witnessed enough highly competent professionals shift gears from preaching what they know to be right, to what they know to be career expedient, to suspect that this take is more career pragmatism than it is deeply held belief.

I see where you are coming from. There is a difference between taking what he says with a grain of salt (which I certainly do) and saying his only motivation is flirting with MB. I thought his point concerning ice-time management during games was really constructive. I really felt he was sharing personal experiences rather than commenting the habs' situation. I thought he offered a different point of view, without implying it had any connection with the habs.

As far as losing the room, Kriss E made a really good point in saying you can also alienate the room by overplaying your bottom 6 and playing guys like weal on the PP. Something I wholeheartedly agree with. We haven't reached game 10 yet but yeah I expect changes will be made.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
In his most successful season as a coach, he didn't shy away from playing Stamkos (20) & Hedman (19) 20+min/game...

Plus had Downie (23), Purcell(24) & Tyrell (21) as regulars in the lineup.
He was also ott's head coach when Chabot started and from what i recall he used him.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017
I would gladly replace old dinosaur Clode with Boucher. He seems to get a lot more out of the youngsters.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
that was honest...

- he's unemployed

Boucher never won the Calder Cup or coached Price. Don Lever was the coach of that team. Boucher coached in 2009-2010 and they lost in the 3rd round.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Boucher never won the Calder Cup or coached Price. Don Lever was the coach of that team. Boucher coached in 2009-2010 and they lost in the 3rd round.

That's right, my bad, mixed up the years...

Though, point remains just as relevant. Guided Bulldogs to a dominant season (most pts in franchise history, 115), before losing in 3rd round...

Team was heavy on youth, he relied mostly on under-25 guys on their way to 2nd overall finish (& coach of the year)... didn't need the veteran heavy influx a la Alzner/ Ouellette/ varone/ Weise/ Barber / Peca et. because of how well he developed and integrated his core of 20-23 yr olds (they had only 2 guys over 25 play more than 40 games!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad