benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
kmad said:
Dan Cloutier in every game he's played since the Lidstrom goal
:biglaugh:

Maybe not the gutsiest, but as a yougn Habs fan, Koivu returning, after being diagnosed with potentially deadly cancer 8 months earlier, with 3 games left in the regular season, and leading the 8th seeded Canadiens past the #1 Bruins in the 2002 playoffs was chilling.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
benji said:
:biglaugh:

Maybe not the gutsiest, but as a yougn Habs fan, Koivu returning, after being diagnosed with potentially deadly cancer 8 months earlier, with 3 games left in the regular season, and leading the 8th seeded Canadiens past the #1 Bruins in the 2002 playoffs was chilling.

That was pretty nice.

Jordoe28 said:
Joe Thornton playing with broken ribs and a broken finger in the 2003/04 playoffs.

No personnaly attacking you or anything but everytime I hear of Thornton's playoffs injuries they seem to get worse. First time I heard it it was just some pulled muscles on his side, then torn, then broken ribs, then broken finger and ribs.

Jacques Plante said:
Not to be a homer but during the 2004 playoffs Saku Koivu was coughing up blood between periods, and no one knew about it until MTL was eliminated. He played like he was 100% healthy in those conditions, with that he reached a whole new level as a captain in my eyes.

Same with Koivu.

That being said if they are true they are pretty impressive.

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Koivu did have some injury to his chest during those playoffs, i don't know the extent of it though. I've also read that he coughed up blood but i don't know if it was a reputable source.

As for Koivu coming back from cancer, i remember listening to that first game online and the ovation he got before the game started was incredible. I was also lucky enough to watch game 3 of the Habs - Bruins series that year, it was shown over here. I managed to tape it and every time i watch it back, its still thrilling to watch him score the game winner. That has to rank as one of my all time favourite goals.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Qui Gon Dave said:
Koivu did have some injury to his chest during those playoffs, i don't know the extent of it though. I've also read that he coughed up blood but i don't know if it was a reputable source.

As for Koivu coming back from cancer, i remember listening to that first game online and the ovation he got before the game started was incredible. I was also lucky enough to watch game 3 of the Habs - Bruins series that year, it was shown over here. I managed to tape it and every time i watch it back, its still thrilling to watch him score the game winner. That has to rank as one of my all time favourite goals.
Yeah, I've still got that game on tape. For me that post-season ranks right up there with any gutsy NHL performance.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
LadyByngJeanRatelle said:
How bout Gary Roberts in the 2002 playoffs. Leading half an AHL team over the Islanders (most brutal series of the 00's) and the Senators.
As an Isles fan, I have to give him credit on that one. I HATED him during that series. Then when I got over it, it made me love him as a player.

But I don't really think it qualifies on the all time list. Past five seasons, sure.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Kariya getting up and scoring after an absolutely bone crunching hit by Scott Stevens in 2003.

chooch*

reckoning said:
Yeah, all the tough players were in the East with none in the West. I guess Al Secord, Garth Butcher, Jamie Macoun and Bob Probert weren`t as tough and hard-hitting as Marian(?) Stastny, Mark Pavelich and Reijo Ruotsalanien.

On the topic of teams being spent in the playoffs from a tough prior series, in each of Montreals two Cup wins over Boston in the late 70s the Bruins had played Philadelphia in the series before. The Flyers: the toughest, most grueling, physical team in the league in the 70s. Even if you beat them you`d feel the effects from those games for a long time afterwards. When Boston was fighting in the trenches against the Flyers in `78, who was Montreal playing? Toronto. Real tough team LOL.

If you knew your hockey history youd know The Leafs were the second toughest team after the Flyers; Remember the brawls those 2 teams had - McMurtry got involved. Remember how the Leafs pummeled a young Bossy in the playoffs in 78 and left him for dead.
Glennie the original Scott Stevens headhunter?
Those 70's Leafs teams were brutallly tough.

Oh btw here's the Habs fared against the Flyers and the Leafs in the seventies playoffs - 16 wins 1 loss.

The Habs couldnt be pushed around and if you think a team that was 60 and 8 beat the Bruins because they were tired from playing Flyers - whatever.

There's no question the east had the tougher teams in the 80's and teh Oilers had a free ride until they played a beat up East team in the finals. DOesnt matter whether the e was a blanced schedule during the season - the east teams (and West) geared up to play teams in their own div in the reg season.

I guarantee You the Habs cared whether they beat Nords in reg season and couldnt give a damn if some pansy was whooping it up against them the next night.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Its hard to say because some of the stories you will never hear.....I bet alot of those older players played through concussions and everything.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I have to go with Cam Neely who scored the 50 goals in 49 games in 93-94 playing in physical agony the whole time with his devastating leg injuries and mental agony as his dad died of cancer that year just six years after his mom did.

DiamondJoeQuimby

Jun 3, 2005
New York State
Gary Roberts coming back from his neck injury when he played for the Flames in 1996. Calgary went straight up from the basement after he came back that year. Two years later with Carolina he came back after missing an entire season.

acr*

trenton1 said:
I have to go with Cam Neely who scored the 50 goals in 49 games in 93-94 playing in physical agony the whole time with his devastating leg injuries and mental agony as his dad died of cancer that year just six years after his mom did.

Thank you.

HOW DID IT TAKE 35 POSTS TO GET TO NEELY?

KariyaIsGod*

chooch said:
If you knew your hockey history youd know The Leafs were the second toughest team after the Flyers; Remember the brawls those 2 teams had - McMurtry got involved. Remember how the Leafs pummeled a young Bossy in the playoffs in 78 and left him for dead.
Glennie the original Scott Stevens headhunter?
Those 70's Leafs teams were brutallly tough.

Oh btw here's the Habs fared against the Flyers and the Leafs in the seventies playoffs - 16 wins 1 loss.

The Habs couldnt be pushed around and if you think a team that was 60 and 8 beat the Bruins because they were tired from playing Flyers - whatever.

There's no question the east had the tougher teams in the 80's and teh Oilers had a free ride until they played a beat up East team in the finals. DOesnt matter whether the e was a blanced schedule during the season - the east teams (and West) geared up to play teams in their own div in the reg season.

I guarantee You the Habs cared whether they beat Nords in reg season and couldnt give a damn if some pansy was whooping it up against them the next night.

How about chooch continually posting on these boards even though he's been shot down, proved wrong and made to look like a fool time and time again...

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
Mario - on numerous occasions

1) Leaving with Hodgkins disease, missing 20+ games, and coming back to win the scoring title

2) Getting his wrist broken in the playoffs by Graves and continuing on

Pensfan86

Mar 18, 2002
Steel City(Pittsburgh)
Visit site
Um ya...Mario coming back from the deadly disease cancer...and not only that but scoring roughly 45 or so points in his remaining 15 games to reclaim the scoring title from Pat Lafontaine...I really do not think anything else comes close to this. I have heard guys play with broken ankles (I am pretty sure there was a Penguin who did it in the 70s) but even that does not compare

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
The names tyhat come to mind to me are Lemieux, Koivu for the cancer reasons obviously and of course Bob Baun. How else can you describe that. A broken leg! Scoring an OT winner in Game 6 just 1:43 in. That is heart, I mean that is pure heart!

Lemieux winning the '93 Art Ross trophy after having cancer was sickening. Remember in '93 Lafontaine ha 148 points, Oates had 142, Yzerman 137. A lot of guys had big years in '93 so Lemieux really had to dig down deep to get his 160.

And although he wasnt injure at all I still say that John Tonelli's performance in the '84 Canada Cup was gutsy. Yeah he wasnt hurt but this was 1984 after the Russians had beaten the NHL in '79 and trashed Canada 8-1 in '81. Also in the Round robin in '84 Canada lost to Russia 6-3. So having them beat the Russians in OT in the semis took a lot of heart. And the guy who played his guts out that entire game was Tonelli. He did everything in that game.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Jordoe28 said:
Joe Thornton playing with broken ribs and a broken finger in the 2003/04 playoffs.

If he really was hurting that would still only count as a gutsy non-performance.

JimmyPage

Jan 22, 2005
Toronto
I have a couple: Patrick Roy in the playoffs stood on his head in a bruins series and was the only reason the habs were in the series. He had a seriously aggravated appendix and got pulled out of game 7 to have it removed before it burst. I think this waqs sometime around 1988.

Not many will know or remember this but Dale Hawerchuk playing for the Winnipeg Jets in 1985 got crosschecked by Jamie Macoun into the ribs while Hawerchuk was in mid-air flight. Broken ribs and the guy came back to play with a flak jacket on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->