Value of: Gustav Olofsson

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I know, who? But yeah Wild fans definitely know who he is, and I feel like he'd be an upgrade on the bottom pairing over Kulak. What's his value and cost? Flames are surprisingly kinda weak on LHD, even though their best prospect is a LHD (Valimaki).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I know, who? But yeah Wild fans definitely know who he is, and I feel like he'd be an upgrade on the bottom pairing over Kulak. What's his value and cost? Flames are surprisingly kinda weak on LHD, even though their best prospect is a LHD (Valimaki).
Well, Reilly went for a 5th, so I guess there's sort of a baseline there. Olofsson's younger and is steadier defensively; he didn't show much of an offensive game in the NHL, but his passing and skating is alright. He's tall, but lanky but not a physical player. A little like Brodin his biggest assets are his skating and intelligence, though he's obviously not nearly as good as Brodin. Long term there's been hope that he develops in that mold.

Anyway, he's been kind of been lapped by Seeler at this point, who's at least as good defensively and has a lot more sandpaper to his game. If they don't move Brodin this summer that could make Olofsson expendable, since I think he'd have to pass through waivers to get to the AHL at this point. I assume they'd want more than they got for Reilly since that was more of a motivated-seller situation. Olofsson + Minnesota's 3rd for a 2nd would be tempting to me.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He'll likely be moved for a mid round pick in the offseason. I've always thought he looked pretty good when he played, but BB doesn't like his game for whatever reason and prefers for more sand paper on the third pairing (Seeler).

For those that don't know him, he's like a Brodin-lite. Smooth skating, non physical defensemen with good positioning, and avg at best offense.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I don't think he can be moved until the Wild know more about Suter's injury. There's a real possibility he's done, and while Seeler has clearly surpassed Olofsson at this point, if Suter can't come back Olofsson is the Wild's best option for 3rd pair LHD.

Straight value, probably 3rd-4th. Reilly set the expectation but Olofsson is better and the Wild don't need to move him like they did Reilly.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think he can be moved until the Wild know more about Suter's injury. There's a real possibility he's done, and while Seeler has clearly surpassed Olofsson at this point, if Suter can't come back Olofsson is the Wild's best option for 3rd pair LHD.

Straight value, probably 3rd-4th. Reilly set the expectation but Olofsson is better and the Wild don't need to move him like they did Reilly.
I think the bigger reason to hang onto Olofsson would be a potential Brodin trade.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
How good is this Seeler fella? I haven’t seen him play outside of a few games but he seems to be getting positive reviews here...

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
How good is this Seeler fella? I haven’t seen him play outside of a few games but he seems to be getting positive reviews here...
He's been good, but you do have to adjust for the fact that expectations from Wild fans were at around zero when he was called up this year. He's also only actually played ~25 NHL games.

But in those games he's been a very reliable bottom-pairing guy, and he looked great on the second pairing against the Jets in Game 3. Olofsson still has room to develop into the better player, but Seeler has brought everything you'd want in a bottom-pairing guy.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I think the bigger reason to hang onto Olofsson would be a potential Brodin trade.
I don't know if the Wild want to give up their verified high end shut down defender to pencil in a 25 game rookie into the 2nd pair even if he has looked good. The return on Brodin would have to be very significant.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
Why trade him for a mystery box?
Suter's out for some time, we have Brodin, Olofsson and Seeler as LD.
If we trade a LD, we need a return to make us better, not a pick.

So it's most likely Brodin for the right C.
But not before Suter is back.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

If the right C is available for Brodin I don't think you wait for Suter to get back.

Anyway, normally I'd say keep Olofsson, but if everyone's healthy he's not going to play in the NHL to start next year. And to send him to the AHL he'd have to pass through waivers, which probably means losing him for nothing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Looks to be at least a solid #5 LHD...sorta came out of nowhere. Strong, defensive, tough, heart and soul type, but has surprising good skating/speed....any offense is a bonus, though. Has been thrown into the fire towards the end of the Wild's season, played on second pairing due to Suter's injury, and hasn't wilted yet. Till the end of the season he was thought to be nothing more than an AHL guy...

I had high hopes for Olofsson as a second pairing guy, but time is running out. He keeps getting injured(has a concussion now). I would not sell low on him like they did with Reilly. Would wait till after training camp at a minimum. He's got decent wheels, some skill, good size, and is decent defensively. Needs more NHL TOI before it can be determined what he is.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

There are no can't miss C's in this years draft , and I can't see Brodin getting a young, elite'ish C in return (i.e. Keller). Mystery boxes are a lot of fun, but having, potentially, a hobbled Suter and no Brodin on LD next year ain't worth the thrill of said box. I can see ARI offering Strome, or something....doesn't do much for me.

Anyway, this an Olofsson thread, though it is easy to mix up tall, blond, LH Swedish Dmen.:sarcasm:

Maybe if MN does a Brodin trade and we send over Olofsson instead they won't notice?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->