Player Discussion Gustav Olofsson: The Man With the Bionic Shoulders

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I respect your opinion and appreciate you share your knowledge on this site, but this is harsh criticism of a website that had a nice build and a decent set of writers.

It appears to me that you worry that scouting will be taken less seriously if amateurs try to act as if they can also do it, but you should just be happy that scouting is becoming a more popular discipline even though people do it at varying degrees of ability and talent.

Anyway, it is more likely that this website will give a first-opportunity for a future journalist (a friend of mine got his break by getting experience on a similar website and now works full time for a large media company) than as a scout.

Also the webmaster (maybe Patrick?) can also have a very nice career thanks to the design he did on the website.

It's fine if you are not impressed with the scouting work, but maybe you do not need to trash them so hard about it and get personal with this Patrick guy.

I am sure the majority of people involved with EOTP are nice people but they are presenting their work to the most critical fanbase in hockey. If the site wants to grow it does need to purge itself of contributors who undermine the credibility of the site. The site has enjoyed a degree of success but that leads to more exposure and more criticism. That is a good thing and provides important customer feedback that should be viewed as a tool for self evaluation and improvement.

Perhaps "Patrik" has a technical talent that the site can benefit from but he should stay away from the actual hockey content. I could have brought up other names as he isn't the only one but it would have been silly to spend any more time on the topic.

You seem like a nice person and if you are affiliated with the site I feel bad to have **** on something that you are passionate about but consider people like myself as part of the evolutionary process of the site. At the end of the day the most important thing is to consider whether these criticism's are accurate and to adjust in a manner that will strengthen the site and push it into a more credible arena.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It's the opposite actually. Once ligaments, muscles or tendons around a shoulder become torn dislocations are a lot more likely to occur repeatedly. Just ask Brandon Prust.

Prust had his muscle already,Olofsson doesn't have any yet,not enough anyways. Once he builds up he will be more re-enforced. IMO, and when I was a tall skinny kid and f d up my shoulders,after hitting weights etc,never an issue since.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
These are major shoulder issues.

I've never known anyone with major shoulder issues last long after surgery with contact before getting injured again

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I guess you didn’t see the rest of his injury history.

No one is questioning his potential, he’s simply highly injury prone.

Nope! not aware of all his past injuries,would need more info to properly evaluate what was detrimental to his stagnation.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nope! not aware of all his past injuries,would need more info to properly evaluate what was detrimental to his stagnation.

Let me reprise his injury history.

From an article dated June 26th 2017:

Olofsson likely would have stuck on the NHL roster sooner had it not been for a series of injuries, which included a torn labrum in both of his shoulders as well as a minor medial collateral ligament sprain in his right knee during the Traverse City Prospect Tournament last summer (2016)

Wild sign prospect Gustav Olofsson to two-year contract

And then this:

Olofsson was taken 46th overall in the NHL Entry Draft coming off a stellar season in the USHL for the Green Bay Gamblers (23 points in 63 games, +11 rating) which resulted in him playing in the NHL/AHL top prospects game that year and catching the eyes of Minnesota’s scouts.

Following the draft, Olofsson spent one season at Colorado College before signing an entry level deal with the Minnesota Wild and making the jump to the AHL. He played 8 games in Iowa to finish that year, and scored a goal in his AHL debut.

His professional career got off to a terrible start in his first season at Iowa, as he injured his shoulder in the first game of the season (his third such shoulder injury of his young career), which required surgery and caused him to miss the entire year of hockey

Entering training camp the following year, Olofsson impressed all of the coaching staff and had a real chance to make the Minnesota Wild roster as a 20 year old. He got a brief taste of regular season action in November 2015, but spent the rest of the season in Iowa again before requiring another shoulder surgery in February. His fourth major shoulder injury of his career.

Olofsson rehabbed that injury quickly, and was ready for training camp in fall 2016. Again impressive in camp, Olofsson sprained his MCL in a preseason gamewhich cost him an opportunity to secure an NHL spot and was left in Iowa to start the year.

He impressed in Iowa through the 2016-17 season, recording 24 points in 59 games and earning 13 games at the NHL level with Minnesota where he managed 3 points at the NHL Level. His season was again cut short, though, with an undisclosed upper body injury suffered in March while with Minnesota.

2017-18 was truly meant to be the season of Gustav Olofsson. He made the Minnesota Wild roster out of camp following a season mostly injury free, beating out Kyle Quincey for the 6th defense spot. The return of Nate Prosser in November made for a more crowded team and Olofsson spent the rest of the year battling with Mike Reilly and Ryan Murphy for ice time.

In March, he was again struck by the injury bug as he lost time to a concussion at the worst time.

Minnesota Wild: 2018-19 Season Preview of Gustav Olofsson

Is it a stretch to believe that Minnesota decided to cut their losses and only made him available on account of so many major injuries suffered by Olofsson in such a short time? Four major shoulder injuries (including a torn labrum in each shoulder that required surgeries)? Followed by a lesser injury like the sprained MCL, however, there was that undisclosed upper body injury in March 2017 -- it was serious enough to cut his season short. And in March 2018, a concussion.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Let me reprise his injury history.

From an article dated June 26th 2017:

Olofsson likely would have stuck on the NHL roster sooner had it not been for a series of injuries, which included a torn labrum in both of his shoulders as well as a minor medial collateral ligament sprain in his right knee during the Traverse City Prospect Tournament last summer (2016)

Wild sign prospect Gustav Olofsson to two-year contract

And then this:

Olofsson was taken 46th overall in the NHL Entry Draft coming off a stellar season in the USHL for the Green Bay Gamblers (23 points in 63 games, +11 rating) which resulted in him playing in the NHL/AHL top prospects game that year and catching the eyes of Minnesota’s scouts.

Following the draft, Olofsson spent one season at Colorado College before signing an entry level deal with the Minnesota Wild and making the jump to the AHL. He played 8 games in Iowa to finish that year, and scored a goal in his AHL debut.

His professional career got off to a terrible start in his first season at Iowa, as he injured his shoulder in the first game of the season (his third such shoulder injury of his young career), which required surgery and caused him to miss the entire year of hockey

Entering training camp the following year, Olofsson impressed all of the coaching staff and had a real chance to make the Minnesota Wild roster as a 20 year old. He got a brief taste of regular season action in November 2015, but spent the rest of the season in Iowa again before requiring another shoulder surgery in February. His fourth major shoulder injury of his career.

Olofsson rehabbed that injury quickly, and was ready for training camp in fall 2016. Again impressive in camp, Olofsson sprained his MCL in a preseason gamewhich cost him an opportunity to secure an NHL spot and was left in Iowa to start the year.

He impressed in Iowa through the 2016-17 season, recording 24 points in 59 games and earning 13 games at the NHL level with Minnesota where he managed 3 points at the NHL Level. His season was again cut short, though, with an undisclosed upper body injury suffered in March while with Minnesota.

2017-18 was truly meant to be the season of Gustav Olofsson. He made the Minnesota Wild roster out of camp following a season mostly injury free, beating out Kyle Quincey for the 6th defense spot. The return of Nate Prosser in November made for a more crowded team and Olofsson spent the rest of the year battling with Mike Reilly and Ryan Murphy for ice time.

In March, he was again struck by the injury bug as he lost time to a concussion at the worst time.

Minnesota Wild: 2018-19 Season Preview of Gustav Olofsson

Is it a stretch to believe that Minnesota decided to cut their losses and only made him available on account of so many major injuries suffered by Olofsson in such a short time? Four major shoulder injuries (including a torn labrum in each shoulder that required surgeries)? Followed by a lesser injury like the sprained MCL, however, there was that undisclosed upper body injury in March 2017 -- it was serious enough to cut his season short. And in March 2018, a concussion.

Poor guy! Sounds like Minnesota didn't rehabilitate him properly with a regime to reinforce his injuries. Hopefully Montreal/Laval can get him a proper program to utilize what he can conceivable contribute down the road.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Poor guy! Sounds like Minnesota didn't rehabilitate him properly with a regime to reinforce his injuries. Hopefully Montreal/Laval can get him a proper program to utilize what he can conceivable contribute down the road.

Sometimes a player's injury history is so pervasive that it can't be helped. With such a heavy injury history, it's more than likely that it's on the player rather than how the org. handled him.

Of course, there was also the injury he sustained as soon as he began playing in Laval: Olofsson, 24, suffered a shoulder injury on Oct. 19 (2019) that ended his season after playing only two games with the Rocket.

His injury with the Rocket was serious enough to see him miss 70 games.

Like you, hoping for the best but it's going to be one huge uphill battle to see this guy put together a healthy season.

Reactions: angusyoung

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Good signature, was doing well in Laval. I expect him to play there all season next year and maybe fill in with montreal if we are dealing with many injuries

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good signature, was doing well in Laval. I expect him to play there all season next year and maybe fill in with montreal if we are dealing with many injuries

With Alzner and Ouellet both in Montreal, Olofsson was on the top pair with Brook, and both were doing real well in those roles in their fight for a playoff spot. I'm happy they're bringing him back.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It's well deserved as far as his work in Laval is concerned. He's been the main guy from the moment Ouellet was called up and he's good enough to play jabroni minutes next season with the main team if we need him because of injuries/call ups .

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He's been very solid for Laval and might still be of some use as a depth defenceman for the big club. I like this signing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I assume now that Harris is staying at NU, so having Alzner, Ouellet, Olofsson, Brook, Fleury, Leskinen, plus whoever else they find for depth or the ECHL should give them a solid D core again but we badly need Brook to break out offensively.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Nice signing. Would like to see Folin signed as well. I think he's nice depth, though I wouldn't want him as the everyday no 6 in Montreal.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I assume now that Harris is staying at NU, so having Alzner, Ouellet, Olofsson, Brook, Fleury, Leskinen, plus whoever else they find for depth or the ECHL should give them a solid D core again but we badly need Brook to break out offensively.

What's your take on Harris, you think he still have things to learn in the NCAA or you would prefer seeing him with the Rocket??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->