Recalled/Assigned: Gustav Oloffson Assigned to Iowa 3/24

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
When you are confused as he said he was, you can panic and make poor decisions...like chasing someone to a place you shouldn't be.

Yup. At least he owned up to it, which is the first step in fixing the problem. Everything will be faster and stronger in the NHL, which puts pressure on decision making. So you not only have to play faster, but think faster.

I think that he has looked good in this call up. Making mistakes is gonna happen, he has barely any NHL experience, I think we are so spoiled with the normal top 5 that when they call up a guy we expect him to completely take the other guys place.

Also Im sure staying in the NHL will help him fill out and get stronger. Just look how long it has taken Granlund to get stronger and improve his skating.

Unlike Granlund he has a very long frame, which helps a lot for reach( can make up for lack of quickness)and leverage( makes up somewhat for strength). What I'm looking for now in him is the ability to adapt successfully to new circumstances. During the off season he has to get stronger and develop quicker footwork. Brodin and Spurgeon are masters at that.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Yup. At least he owned up to it, which is the first step in fixing the problem. Everything will be faster and stronger in the NHL, which puts pressure on decision making. So you not only have to play faster, but think faster.

Unlike Granlund he has a very long frame, which helps a lot for reach( can make up for lack of quickness)and leverage( makes up somewhat for strength). What I'm looking for now in him is the ability to adapt successfully to new circumstances. During the off season he has to get stronger and develop quicker footwork. Brodin and Spurgeon are masters at that.

I agree with this, but I also think that right now he is a completely fine bottom pair defenseman, and can only move up.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Olofsson looked pretty good in his limited playing time. If he adds some mass during the offseason, and stays healthy, he should be fighting for the bottom pairing next season.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Olofsson is a GREAT option for the bottom pairing, and IMO will be a top 4 guy in years to come.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
How's he gonna do that with Suter and Brodin ahead of him?

Well, Brodin plays RD also, AND the way things are going there is no set delineation between second and third pairing in terms of talent level, I.e. Brodin is sometimes paired with Folin or Prosser....does that make him a third pairing Dman? My point is that I think Olofsson will end up being one of the top 4 Dmen in terms of talent on the team. I think he has the potential to be a better all round Dman than Dumba( though I'll admit that Dumba's value is hard to assess, at least as a traditional Dman), and might replace Scandella as a more cost effective option.

My only worry about Olofsson is his ability to stay healthy. If he could learn to play a decent RD it would be great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad